Eating a scorpion

It's a thought I have every so often.

Comments

• there is a company that sells candied insects in lollipops.

You do you, friend, just don't try to get me to share one with you, you know?
  • what candied insects
  • I know that the candied insect lollipops are a thing but I myself couldn't tell you where to find them.

I did go to a radically remodeled FYE a couple weeks ago that had boxes of bacon and sour cream/onion-flavored crickets and worms, among other curiosities such as Ramune brand soda.

It was a little disorienting to find them of all places selling such things (and with a particularly large focus on clothing and toys that wasn't present there before), but I'd imagine it's a bid to stay relevant in the face of most musical purchases being digital these days.
  • We regularly consume various insects witout thinking about it anyway.

Insects are just sources of protein. Sometimes crunchy.
  • There isn't enough fan art of Nala eating bugs, on a related note
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    FYE still exists? I just assumed they went under years ago when the one at my nearby mall closed.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

There isn't enough fan art of Nala eating bugs, on a related note

What's interesting about insect-eating?

You talk about Cadpig hypothetically eating bugs a lot . . .
  • FYE still exists? I just assumed they went under years ago when the one at my nearby mall closed.

FYE's parent, Trans World Entertainment, also gobbled up the bankrupt Musicland (Sam Goody, Suncoast) in 2006
  • Tachyon said:

It's not traditionally feminine.
  • Also, it would serve as a shout out to Phil and Lil.
  • kill living beings
    scorpions aren't insects

yu horrid peeple
  • I know they're not.
  • Tachyon said:

It's not traditionally feminine.
    So that's a good thing.

Also, Cadpig isn't human.
  • Well, no. I'm well aware of that.
  • scorpions aren't insects

yu horrid peeple

for the purposes of the layman the distinctions between the different groups of land-dwelling arthropods are almost entirely arbitrary

wake up sheeple
  • eating insects is not a gendered behavior
  • I figured that society might construe it as such, given how masculine Timon and Pumbaa are and how Simba does not share any "grubs" with Nala, not on screen at least
  • He also eats zero grubs in his adult years
  • Also, my aim is to make Cadpig as gross and unfeminine as possible within the bounds I have set for her, like not eating meat. And bugs count as meat.
  • (*head tilt*)

Timon and Pumbaa are Disney characters. Cadpig is also one, albeit under the authority of Walt Disney Television Animation, not Walt Disney Feature Animation.
  • I just

"exceptionally masculine" is not what comes to mind when I think of Timon and Pumbaa?
  • They act schlubby in a way that women and girls don't tend to in the media. Nobody in 101 (real one or my version) is really a schlub anyway but still.
  • kill living beings

I figured that society might construe it as such, given how masculine Timon and Pumbaa are and how Simba does not share any "grubs" with Nala, not on screen at least

holy shit i thought you were saying that jokingly
  • Well "society" can also mean "the executives at my imaginary versions of Walt Disney Television Animation and ABC back when they still owned it"
  • ITT: Anonus reveals hir bizarre ideas of gendered behavior and/or what Disney execs might consider to be such
  • kill living beings
    is being far even as decided to have used even go wanted to do looked more like manly or girly
  • pretty much
  • god I turned another thread into a trainwreck didn't I
    i understand where you're coming from, actually.

In our culture, eating bugs is not feminine.  It's just not manly, either.  Non-crustacean arthropods are not normally regarded as suitable for human consumption in our culture, and eating animals that are not fit for consumption is considered gross.

i think it's *probably* accurate to say that men tend to get more of a pass for doing gross things than women, but they're still gross when a man does it.

So like, i can see the logic here, i think, although the behaviour is not itself gendered.

And probably doesn't need to be said but, "gross and unfeminine" ≠ feminist.
  • It doesn't equal feminist, but it's still about smashing stereotypes.
    Mm . . . it might depend on how it was executed.

Honestly i feel it would most likely register as a joke about dogs eating gross things, first and foremost.
  • Tachyon said:

Honestly i feel it would most likely register as a joke about dogs eating gross things, first and foremost.

yeah

i mean, dogs eat bugs and stuff all the time
  • It's actually about how eating insects is holistic and her general aversion to (knowingly) eating the meat of the farm animals she lives with
  • but that's not really what the audience would get out of it i think?

like, even if she explicitly says that
    If she said that i think it would read as a slightly flimsy in-character justification for a joke about dogs eating gross things.
  • Tachyon said:

If she said that i think it would read as a slightly flimsy in-character justification for a joke about dogs eating gross things.

It wouldn't be a joke, it would be a recurrent character trait.
  • which people would think to be a joke about dogs eating gross things
  • right