do all your shopping at

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    someone needs to mouth silence tf out of this
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    though one could say it's already pretty neil c to begin with

p.s. don't listen to the most wanted song, it sucks
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I literally saw a neoreactionary say that the most wanted song proves democracy is evil
  • ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬
    SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE NIGHTCORE▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­­­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Today I learned that Dave Soldier, the composer who co-wrote "The Most Unwanted Song" and co-founded the record label on which it was released, is also a neuroscience professor at Columbia and an expert in synapse degeneration. He is the only person I know of who has two separate, extensive Wikipedia articles on him.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Clownpiece
  • I could think of nobody more appropriate
    She's a great 2who.

Kinda sad that nobody cares that this was made by a literal brain surgeon. Or they do, but haven't said anything? I guess that's OK. (Sorry if that's passive-aggressive; it's just a neat fact.)
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Mildly. Only been two comments.

Haven't listened to it yet but the overlap between two things I like is rather fun.
    I've been drinking too much coffee after drinking very little of it for days so I think my good humour is carrying an unexpected edge of anxiety and aggression which I should be wary of... >—>;
  • kill living beings
    when i originally heard of that thing it was in the context of "some scientists have made a song scientifically proven to suck hard" so i'm not exactly surprised

ok the wikipedia article thing is funny though. i thought maybe you were exaggerating but nope, there's Dave Soldier the musician and David Sulzer the neuroscientist. It has been suggested that this article be merged with.

doesn't look like he does any cognitive level stuff. that kind of surprises me.

also, because this is apparently going to be something i complain about for the rest of my life that nobody else really minds,

Kinda sad that nobody cares that this was made by a literal brain surgeon.

neuroscientist, not neurologist. he is not a medical doctor and has probably never opened a human. I mean, he's probably chopped up rats, but rat brain surgery is much easier in the sense that it's not such a big deal if you make a few extra cuts by mistake
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    If it's any consolation any comments of that nature from me are likely chill. :v

Anyway I think I might listen to this later. I'm all down for any and all experimental songs, and his work doesn't end there with animal-based music, orchestral stuff, some gay early Latin fun, collaborative jazz...
  • edited 2017-01-08 18:47:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

when i originally heard of that thing it was in the context of "some scientists have made a song scientifically proven to suck hard" so i'm not exactly surprised

ok the wikipedia article thing is funny though. i thought maybe you were exaggerating but nope, there's Dave Soldier the musician and David Sulzer the neuroscientist. It has been suggested that this article be merged with.

also, because this is apparently going to be something i complain about for the rest of my life that nobody else really minds,

neuroscientist, not neurologist. he is not a medical doctor and has probably never opened a human. I mean, he's probably chopped up rats, but rat brain surgery is much easier in the sense that it's not such a big deal if you make a few extra cuts by mistake

This is a fair and important distinction to make but it's still wild that this guy is a no-bullshit award-winning research scientist and a tenured professor at an Ivy League university who also just happens to run a novelty experimental music label and compose epic rap ballads about Wittgenstein and doing all your shopping at Wal-Mart.
  • edited 2017-01-08 18:52:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    And yes, he's a PhD, not an MD, but he chairs the Psychiatry, Neurology and Pharmacology departments, so I wouldn't hold that against him. He also apparently made some discovery about synapse trimming in autism, which I'm pretty sure I heard about on NPR way back or something.

I just feel like there's hope for me in this world if people can be those two things at the same time. Like the universe is telling me, "YOU CAN DO ALL THE THINGS! 8D"
  • edited 2017-01-08 18:57:05
    kill living beings

This is a fair and important distinction to make but it's still wild that this guy is a no-bullshit award-winning research scientist and a tenured professor at an Ivy League university who also just happens to run a novelty experimental music label and compose epic rap ballads about Wittgenstein and doing all your shopping at Wal-Mart.
    a lot of scientists do dorky shit like that, it's neat that he manages to be reasonably prolific in the process though. you can tell he's a real scientist because his webpage fucking sucks

And yes, he's a PhD, not an MD, but he chairs the Psychiatry, Neurology and Pharmacology departments, so I wouldn't hold that against him.

i got my degree in a veterinary department. schools are weird

the autism sounds like "Dendritic spine pruning defects in autism mediated by neuronal loss of macroautophagy". dude puts up his PDFs, he's gold

oh but the link's broken! very nice

the article got renamed or something. Loss of mTOR-dependent macroautophagy causes autistic-like synaptic pruning deficits
    Yeah, it's neat.

I misread, he doesn't seem to chair the deparments but he teaches in all of them so whatever. Still not bad at all. And yes, it's always good when someone who knows their shit actually lets the public read their work for free.

I am aware that scientists as a rule tend to do weird goofy stuff on the side because they are huge nerds who went into researching esoterica for a living, but there's something inspiring to me about that as a rule and Sulzer is just the best example of the kind of person who I just think it would be awesome to be. Like, you've made it twice over, you're prolific and well-regarded in both of your ludicrous nerd pursuits, you're making the world a better and more interesting place. It just makes me so happy.
  • a lot of scientists do dorky shit like that, it's neat that he manages to be reasonably prolific in the process though. you can tell he's a real scientist because his webpage fucking sucks
    Heh, true that.

Aiming for success in two completely different fields should be aspired to by all. 
    Yisssssss!