Review of Ulysses

Sorry artbook enthusiasts, but the emperor has no clothes. Joyce is clearly more interested in gimmicks and minibooks than having good core wordread, and the effect is dissonant and unpleasant. Joyce fails to take into account that books are ALREADY art, as any creative work is art. I'm sure the tumblr crowd will eat it up as proof that books are art, but for those of us who care about good wordread, Ulysses has little to offer.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this is a parody/paraphrase of what?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

this is a parody/paraphrase of what?

Videogame reviews
    the only thing worse than game reviews is music reviews
  • kill living beings
    good wordread
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    op doesn't know what he's talking about, Ulysses is NOT just another artbook, it's a challenging read that belies the relatively simple premise, with decent longevity and tons of reread value

the difficulty curve might be a bit steep for some, but otherwise Ulysses has plenty for casual readers, hardcore challenge readers and the competitive scene alike to enjoy
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Panurge said:

Sorry artbook enthusiasts, but the emperor has no clothes. Joyce is clearly more interested in gimmicks and minibooks than having good core wordread, and the effect is dissonant and unpleasant. Joyce fails to take into account that books are ALREADY art, as any creative work is art. I'm sure the tumblr crowd will eat it up as proof that books are art, but for those of us who care about good wordread, Ulysses has little to offer.

i'm going to argue that this isn't that far from actual opinions on this book
    Ulysses rules, d00d
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also #readergate as a parody of #gamergate actually had to pull its punches, because to really imitate #gamergate with the actual same sort of opinions people hold about books you have to go to when, say, novels as an art form was being challenged in public intellectual spheres.  the problem is, this happened in the 30s so the analogues to the assorted conservatives and neo-Nazis will end up being the literal Nazis who ran the actual Third Reich