music from your state (or equivalent subnational area)

edited 2014-10-22 00:00:51 in General
Because I like this subject and think it's interesting. Just list artists you like and provide a couple of their songs, and a short bio if you're feeling ambitious.

It should come as no surprise that most of the music I will be posting is hip-hop. 

Freeway:
Probably best known for being signed to Def Jam for a time before getting burned by them. The other rapper named after drug kingpin Rick "Freeway" Ross. I only got into Freezer recently but I like his stuff a lot, he recently put out the Broken Ankles EP produced by mashup artist GirlTalk. He also doesn't do a ton of songs without other people on them which I think works cuz his flow is kind of limited.
The Last Emperor:
One of a number of largely forgotten 90s acts. I'm not a huge fan of Emperor but he's got two really interesting songs (which form a single piece) that I like a lot and some other cool stuff as well. Really good at doing the "tangle of words" thing, and can fit a lot of syllables into one line which is cool to listen to.

• Secret Wars in which he does a bunch of impressions of other rappers and pretends they're battling superheroes. It's a very strange premise but a cool song. There's a Pt. 2 as well. Not as good if you don't have the frame of reference to understand the rappers being imitated but still interesting.
  • CIA / Criminals in Action (w/ KRS-One & Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against The Machine) a bit more representative of what he normally does. Political stuff which might put some people off, but it's pretty good.
Random
One of like three good nerdcore rappers. He's also an English professor, operates under a lot of different aliases depending on what video game soundtrack he's rapping over at the moment. Pretty corny just by the nature of his subject matter but is good for a certain kind of mood.

Comments

• kill living beings
    fleet foxes ("The Shrine/An Argument"). probably some other people. oh, hendrix. all along the watchtower?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "The Shrine/An Argument" has one of the most stunning music videos that I have ever seen.
  • we have a cool noise/performance art collective named after a hanatarash song

also i think there are some indie rock bands and also a bunch of people who rap

yeah
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    There are a whole lot of jazz musicians and hip-hop people from Philadelphia, plus Bardo Pond, The Roots, Cold Cave, the all-black proto-punk group Pure Hell, and a whole bunch of people I don't care about. There is also, of course, our orchestra, which is hella. Pittsburgh has plenty more, but to name a few: Don Caballero, Girl Talk, and—although he has lived in Oklahoma for most of his life—Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips. As for the rural doldrums, there's always Akron/Family.
  • London? shit, where do i start

if we get very local and talk about my borough, we have lots and lots of grime artists (Newham Generals were proud enough to name themselves after the local hospital) and, a bit further back, the Small Faces (who came very specifically from my neighborhood) and Iron Maiden, who used to play at the pubs in east ham. go a bit further east from there and you're out of london and into Essex, and you'll soon run into Basildon, home of depeche mode.

the area of Lancashire I'm living in at the moment is a bit thinner on the ground. however we do have Richard Skelton across the bay from here, as well as demdike stare
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Singapore has no well-known artists or styles. What we do have are the most amazing civic duty/national identity songs ever.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • edited 2014-10-22 22:33:21
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    even if I limited it to "artists that I share the same high school with", I'd be here all day

more specifically, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, DMX and The Notorious B.I.G. all went to the same high school I did, which is in New York, which has tons of artists from there.
  • edited 2014-10-22 22:42:19
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Windblade said:

Singapore has no well-known artists or styles. What we do have are the most amazing civic duty/national identity songs ever.

Wormrot are from Singapore. I did not know that. They are pretty brutal.

Seriously, they're great. Not for everyone, though.
  • -insert every Porter Robinson track here-

North Carolina might not be responsible for much good, but worlds was made in the same town my mother works in and I honestly think that's pretty tight
  • wormrot is indisputably one of the best grind bands on the planet
  • like, i have literally never seen anyone dislike them

no mean feat for a metal band
    Okay, I guess we have Wormrot.