The events in Ferguson, Missouri

Comments

• fight. dream. horse. love.
    I don't know about that, but the person in the video is pretty clearly not Michael Brown
  • edited 2014-08-15 11:31:56
    kill living beings
    What did Brown look like? I haven't actually seen any pictures of him, I think.

Anyway the theft didn't even allegedly involve weapons, christ

info on the information packet thing

lowery got into an argument with some douche on twitter because he mentioned the information didn't cover the shooting at all. "it's an ongoing investigation, of course they don't give out information!" unlike the theft i guess which is all complete since the suspect is fucking dead
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    http://www.ibtimes.com/ferguson-police-militarization-cash-flowed-lawmakers-who-voted-militarize-police-1659804

People have been saying this for years, but no one's listened: The War on Drugs was the new Jim Crow. The white racists and imperialists who had the public's ear before WWII were pushed back by the Civil Rights Movement and protests against Vietnam, so they decided to create a war in cocaine and marijuana and blame blacks for being poor, instead of fixing the problems that made the drugs so popular in the first place.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-08-15 22:03:21
    From what I understand, the claim is that Brown was the shoplifter, and his friend Dorian Johnson (who was present for both the shoplifting and the shooting) was innocent and not being charged.  Johnson's attorney corroborates this account, so that's a thing at least.

Supposedly the officer who shot Brown was in the area investigating a lead on the shoplifting, but didn't know Brown was the suspect.  Which means the confrontation and shooting happened entirely over jaywalking.
  • kill living beings
    also there was only a possibility for the cop to be killed in the first place because of his own firearm, so great all around
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    My folks have Fox News on. One thing I hear a lot about is that there's looting. What's up with that?
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    opportunists from outside the community coming to start shit. There aren't a lot of them and the community's doing a good job of keeping them away.

“I think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion,” said Tries, who is white and 35 years old. “There’s never been any kind of race thing here. It’s something I never even think about.” Over at the Prime Time Beauty & Barber Shop, a social hub in the black part of town, folks see it differently. “They treat us like criminals,” said barber Branden Turner, who’s worked at the shop for a few years. They described officers routinely waiting for customers to leave so they could give them traffic tickets, search for drugs, or ask them for identification so they could run a background check.
  • Is there a source for the looters being from outside?  If verifiable, I'd like to reference it.  Frequently.
  • edited 2014-08-18 00:07:11
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh, good, some fucker on Twitter said "they should just build a fence around #Ferguson and walk away."

Corralling people helps nothing. In fact, it's kind of why we are where we are now. 
  • edited 2014-08-18 00:11:35
    tell that person "well why don't you just build a fence around yourself so you can ignore what's going on in #Ferguson instead? smaller fence is cheaper too lol"
  • lee4hmz said:

Oh, good, some fucker on Twitter said "they should just build a fence around #Ferguson and walk away."

Corralling people helps nothing. In fact, it's kind of why we are where we are now. 
    Remember when they did that to Gotham in that one Batman storyline?

And the whole thing derailed into endless violence and constant gang warfare rather quickly?
  • kill living beings
    i wish people would take political solutions from batman less seriously, in general

anyway they're back to gassing people
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, not quite. They threw tear gas into a group of people gathering after the curfew, but only after one of them up and shot somebody.
    NPR says that the guy that got shot is still in critical condition, and I'm a lot more willing to trust the highway patrol here than I would ever think of trusting the local goon squad. Johnson seems like a good guy that knows what a mess he's in and doesn't want to make matters worse.

I think the guy with the handgun might have been an outside agitator, honestly.
    You know what's even worse than asshole neo-Confederates shitting up #ferguson? Meathead police fanboys doing it. <_<
    And yes, I understand there's a good amount of crossover between those two groups, but the one I saw seemed a bit too dumb to be anything but a fanboy. :P
  • edited 2014-08-18 01:27:20
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Seriously, state cops are a whole different breed of law enforcement. My mom was in constant conflict with the hick local cops out here whenever something bad happened, but the highway patrol and state cops were always super helpful and polite.

^^ Police fanboys are creepy.
  • When I stopped by the #ferguson hashtag I noticed that most tweets were people expressing outrage at the events or asking how to support the people.
  • edited 2014-08-18 01:35:53
    kill living beings

Well, not quite. They threw tear gas into a group of people gathering after the curfew, but only after one of them up and shot somebody.

no i mean this one
    Yeah, most of the tweets are supportive of the protests...the few that have pissed me off have either been by clueless or uninterested white people who just want to get to work in the morning, or the aforementioned assholes and meatheads.
  • Well, not quite. They threw tear gas into a group of people gathering after the curfew, but only after one of them up and shot somebody.

no i mean this one
    fyi for some reason the markup breaks your link causing it to look like a fake link
  • kill living beings
    looks normal to me
    I went in and fixed it
    Anyway, off to bed with me, I should have been in bed an hour ago. :(
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    lee4hmz said:

Meathead police fanboys

This is not a group of people I'm familiar with. I take it they're not people who dislike over-generalizations of police officers while acknowledging that the US police system is in major need of improvement. More like the people who would join the force to have an excuse to carry a gun in public :|
  • edited 2014-08-18 02:10:53
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

lee4hmz said:

Meathead police fanboys

This is not a group of people I'm familiar with. I take it they're not people who dislike over-generalizations of police officers while acknowledging that the US police system is in major need of improvement. More like the people who would join the force to have an excuse to carry a gun in public :|
    Yeah, the person I was looking at was apparently not native to the area, was blabbing about how cool guns were, and was following the StLCo PD. :P
  • So I finally saw a source confirming that the violence is being caused by outside agitators and not local protestors.

Hilariously, it's Fox News quoting the Ferguson police chief.
  • CNN is saying a private autopsy has proved that Micheal was shot six times and in the back of the head. Can anyone confirm that?
    NPR has also reported this with an interview with the medical examiner who made the determination.
  • kill living beings
    confirm what, that michael baden made that determination? everyone's reporting on it.
  • kill living beings
    i kind of don't like the "wow, he got hit a billion times" things since cops do that by default, the stuff about him having his arms up or whatever is more important

anyway incidentally, i haven't seen human rights watch this mad about something since i started following them. usually as far as the US goes they complain about cluster bombs or prisons. amnesty also sent a team.
  • i kind of don't like the "wow, he got hit a billion times" things since cops do that by default, the stuff about him having his arms up or whatever is more important

I don't live in an area where the cops really ever use their firearms at all, so I wouldn't know that.

Fair point though.
  • kill living beings
    i think the basic idea is that once you've made the determination to kill someone, it's more important to have it done than to save bullets.
    The important part is that the angle, range and placement of the shots indicate that Brown was not the aggressor and, moreover, that he was basically given a gangland execution.

By a cop.

You know, this reminds me: I find it stunning that cop killers, regardless of circumstances, get either really harsh prison sentences or the death sentence and get branded a menace to society, but a cop that kills civilians without reason of self-defence or the protection of innocent lives gets special protection in prison. If you use the power invested in you to protect and serve the public to kill and terrorise, you are far more worthy of death than the man who accidentally kills an officer during a botched robbery.
  • edited 2014-08-18 20:46:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Mind you, I do not believe in the death penalty. I think it's immoral. But for a killer cop? Even if I know that it is wrong, at the bottom of the blackest part of my heart, I want that creature dead. They betray us all.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    SF_Sorrow said:
    After reading that article, I now sympathize with Sredni's bottom-of-the-heart desire to see killer cops executed. 

That's all I really have to say about it...
  • edited 2014-08-21 01:31:17

"When is the last time whites have rioted and burned houses and commercial property."

The last time their team won a major sporting event.

for once im glad i scrolled down to the comment section of an article (*files away for later mental use*)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • kill living beings
    An article I linked. It is unusual for grand juries not to indict, except in police killing cases.

In case anyone's not clear, "indicting" means formally accusing of a crime, which is followed by bringing the case to trial. The trial is where you get "convicted" or not. The grand jury did not decide that Darren Wilson was innocent of murder, they decided that the question of whether he committed murder does not need to be asked.
    In a way, this is even worse than 1992; the cops in that incident actually made it to trial. It would seem the racist white government (and I can't believe I'm fucking saying this about the UNITED FUKCING STATIES IN @)!$ and not fucking SOUTH AFRICA IN THE 1970s AND 1980s) decided this just wasn't worth even worth bringing to trial.
    Fuck this so, so much.
    On a positive not, the Justice Department is still investigating civil rights violations, and the family still maintains the right to sue the officer and the department. So while this is a blow, Wilson and St. Louis PD have yet to face their final reckoning. Let us pray for the wrath of God.
  • What does it say that all I can really do here is just like, sigh loudly?

I kind of expected this, and I know I wasn't the only one. 

I say that not in an attempt to win any cynicism points, I say it because it's true. 
  • Was anyone not expecting this?