This morning, Gov. Mark Dayton signed SB 2470

edited 2014-05-29 12:07:33 in General
making Minnesota the 22nd state with a compassionate medical marijuana law.

The new law is by no means perfect, but it should provide thousands of Minnesotans with the ability to access and use medical marijuana. We will be back in the legislature next year to improve upon it and ensure every patient in Minnesota who could benefit from medical marijuana will have the right to do so.

Thank you for supporting our work and helping to make Minnesota the 22nd state to legalize medical marijuana.

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    weed~
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    I wonder how many ill people actually get a bigger benefit from marijuana than the lung damage from smoking. Pot clinics seem to have become the more numerous than urgent care clinics around Portland.
  • edited 2014-05-29 15:45:51
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I don't have a problem with this as long as it is used for strictly medical and only medical reasons, such as to help AIDS patients gain weight, to help people who have seizures not have seizures, helping combat certain types of cancer, and so on.

Of course, I don't want people to buy medicinal marijuana for non-medicinal purposes, because that is medicine that could have helped somebody who is ill or suffering.

So, I support this only insofar as it is used exclusively for valid medical purposes.

However, I doubt that that is how it is going to be used.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I smoked weed for fun before and I liked it, even though I don't do it anymore.
  • Aliroz: Weed grows like ... well, a weed.  Recreational use will not be taking away from medicinal use.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

(This song is basically the classiest "blaze it" song ever. I love it so much.)
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Morven said:

Aliroz: Weed grows like ... well, a weed.  Recreational use will not be taking away from medicinal use.

So, other than the law, there is no incentive to not get medicinal marijuana and then use it recreationally?
  • edited 2014-05-29 19:57:59
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ social stigma, maybe?  At least in some circles.

Do you believe there is a reason (besides the law) why people shouldn't do that?  Because if there is, then it's presumably an incentive not to, and if there isn't, then I'm not sure what the problem would be.
  • edited 2014-05-29 20:25:31
    (2015 self)
    I just have an irrational hatred for the plant.

People shouldn't do marijuana recreationally because it ticks me off and I hate it. Even its leaf shape ticks me off. If any plant looks like a scumbag that needs facial stomping, it's that one with its stupid long leaves and its dumpy flower buds. Not to mention it's in so many places where it isn't native, and it's a noxious weed in some places, and it just soaks up valuable water and nitrogen that should go to proper plants. But everyone just loves it, and they stole a day of my month to celebrate this narcotic, and it's fashionable to break the law for it and to get high off of a plant that is even a terrible shade of puke green. And there are songs and art celebrating it and everyone loves it, and I feel so dang alone because even Yarrun wants it to be legalized and nobody agrees with me.

Irrational, I know.

But, I'm not going to consign someone to seizures to appease irrational vendettas. No one should suffer for my personal feelings.
    Even if you hate marijuana, other people should be allowed to have it, just like almond ice cream. Also it isn't really a narcotic.
  • Although quite a lot of people are really goddamn tedious about weed.

Aliroz, don't go to Seattle, you'll smell weed on the street all the time and rage at people.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Morven said:

Although quite a lot of people are really goddamn tedious about weed.

Aliroz, don't go to Seattle, you'll smell weed on the street all the time and rage at people.
    "weed culture" is really the only remotely convincing argument against marijuana legalization imho
  • I consider myself a pretty textbook American Liberal, but I do not care at all about weed legalization.

Should you be allowed to put whatever you want into your body? Sure, I think so, but there are simply more pressing matters. Plus, a lot of marijuana's alleged benefits are dubious (pun not intended, yet still amusing) at best.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Weed culture = hippies. Drugged out MARXISTS who DON'T BATHE!
    I'm still ok with it being legal if tobacco is.
  • edited 2014-05-30 13:29:07
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

Even if you hate marijuana, other people should be allowed to have it, just like almond ice cream. Also it isn't really a narcotic.

Oh, don't get me started on the amygdaloid cream of ice.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Opium is a narcotic; cannabis is its own thing.

I do not especially care for weed culture, although dub, psych-pop and stoner metal are great.