The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• I'll admit, the current turn of events has gotten hella weird.

Jade's just death is a bit disappointing. Feels like it shouldn't happen because the person who killed her wasn't even affected by her grimdark quatsch, and that she's under mind-control and whatnot. Not the first time I've disagreed with SBURB's interpretation of it's rules, I guess. 

Putting Yarrunpoints on Jane reviving her at some point.
  • edited 2013-09-15 00:06:14

I'll admit, the current turn of events has gotten hella weird.

Jade's just death is a bit disappointing. Feels like it shouldn't happen because the person who killed her wasn't even affected by her grimdark quatsch, and that she's under mind-control and whatnot. Not the first time I've disagreed with SBURB's interpretation of it's rules, I guess. 

i think that Aranea's absurd luck bending the rules was the reason why Jade stayed dead, hence the lucky br8k
  • edited 2013-09-15 00:12:19
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    My thoughts exactly. Aranea's seven-pupilled eye flashed at the exact moment that the clock shifted into the "Just" position, pretty clearly indicating that the Sylph of Light had forced the hand of chance there.

It also provides an interesting hint towards how a Sylph's powers work in action, if you think about it.

in homestuck dying can be a fate worse than death
  • also anybody remember that comment some character made a while back that dying is a good way to sober up?
  • edited 2013-09-15 00:35:56
    ^^ Ah, Kankri...

^ Yes, but who said it is escaping me...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It was Roxy:

TG: dying is a hell of a way to sober up quick 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh, yeah! I forgot about that!
  • I'll admit, the current turn of events has gotten hella weird.

i think that Aranea's absurd luck bending the rules was the reason why Jade stayed dead, hence the lucky br8k
    Okay, yeah, that makes sense. Didn't notice that before.

....Yeah, intentionally killing a potential ally instead of trying to help her puts Aranea straight into the villain category.

• edited 2013-09-15 14:13:42
    I wouldn't say that Jade was a "potential ally" at that point given that the Condesce (who is still decidedly more powerful than Aranea) would easily be able to put her right back under her control the instant that she wakes. Being "dead" may also put Jade outside of the Condesce's sphere of control while keeping her personality and powers intact, which actually does make her a very useful ally. So I don't think it's that cut and dried.
  • I don't even know why Hussie's so funny, he just is.
  • UPDOOT

Something tells me that you guys won't like this.
  • 503ing againnnn
  • actually feeling v confident i could beat up the world's strongest teen. he would underestimate my cunning, and my strength of will.

• a Goliath Teen approaches. but he makes a novice mistake, and blinks. he'd live out the remainder of his tragic life in a home for the owned

• THANK YOU BASED GAMZEE
    I never thought that I would say this, but...

THANK YOU BASED GAMZEE

• Wait. I'm kind of confused.

Why is everyone so happy about Gamzee's intervention?
  • edited 2013-09-15 19:11:52

Because Jane can only bring someone back once, and if Jade gets brought back now she will still be under 
    The Condesce's control.
  • edited 2013-09-15 19:13:38
    ^^ Because Crockerbot!Jane is a truly awful person and Gamzee literally plummeting out of the sky to stop her from resurrecting Grimbark!Jane is a fitting end to her vileness? (And he looks just so happy doing it.)

^ This is also completely true.
  • hopefully Gamzee will wrest the tiara of her head, but that might be asking too much...

poor Jane, she is having such a terrible time of it :/
  • edited 2013-09-15 19:18:23
    I am hoping the same. Or maybe he will just land in such a way as to break the tiara without harming her. That would be good. In any case, this development is at once positive and rather silly.

Also, Aranea's Vision Eightfold (plus Light powers, perhaps?) lets her see Roxy. I have a bad feeling about that.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Gamzee is flying in to ruin my day.

Or, he's gonna land on Jane and kill her that way, then she and Jade can come back later without problems.

I find the first statement more likely.
    Why do you even read this comic anymore?
  • Why do you even read this comic anymore?

I don't think he actually dislikes it, but it's a lot easier to come up with complaints than explain why you love a thing.
    Sorry.

I'm having a bad night.
  • Although I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had that same thought at one point.

I love the characters (with some exceptions), and the story is still one of my favorites in anything I've ever read. I'm too invested to quit, even though I hate the turn it's taken in Act 6.
    Kexruct said:

I don't think he actually dislikes it, but it's a lot easier to come up with complaints than explain why you love a thing.
    I could easily explain why I love it: it's so funny that sometimes I feel like it's tailored exactly for my sense of humor, it has my favorite character and story archetypes clashing in ways that few other stories attempt, it fearlessly takes from every genre and throws them all together and makes it work. Stuff like that.
  • edited 2013-09-15 23:04:26

it is kinda frustrating because i read the whole thing straight through and i did not really notice a drop in quality and it is all still so new and fascinating and exciting to me and i feel like i am missing out on something obvious when people say that act 6 is so much worse. >_>

i'm not trying to be imposing or anything i just don't really see or get it idk
  • it is kinda frustrating because i read the whole thing straight through and i did not really notice a drop in quality and it is all still so new and fascinating and exciting to me and i feel like i am missing out on something obvious when people say that act 6 is so much worse. >_>

i'm not trying to be imposing or anything i just don't really see or get it idk
    Same here.
  • edited 2013-09-15 23:19:52
    I'm with Naney and Kex here. Sure, Act 6 has some weaker, slower spots that the breakneck pace of the first four acts did not afford, but it also has some of the most striking sequences in the entire comic, in terms of narrative and visuals, playfulness and intensity. And as this part of the story winds to its close, things have gotten more entertaining than they have been in hundreds, if not thousands of pages.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    As I understand it, nearly every complaint that longtime readers have about Act 6 is one that evenlongertime readers voiced about "Hivebent". Yet I archive binged on Homestuck just before the Great Cascade Hiatus and didn't notice any drop in quality between Act 4 and Act 5.
    I have noticed the same thing, to be honest, and I loved Hivebent. Hell, despite being pissed off about some developments therein, I really enjoyed Murderstuck. Hussie managed to make two of the most pathetic, dorky characters so far introduced in the comic legitimately horrifying, and for that alone, I have to hand it to him.
    The thing is, I started reading during the Great Cascade Hiatus, and while Act 5 was very different, I still enjoyed it a whole lot.

I think at least part of my dissatisfaction comes from having to switch from an archive binge to serial reading when the comic is definitely not meant to be read that way, but I've been so annoyed with Act 6 for so long that I can't attribute it all to that.
    Yeah, Homestuck works best when read from the beginning continuously, methinks. While waiting for upd8s can be fun—and yes, I do like typing it that way, quite a bit—the story itself is better served when read like a graphic novel rather than a regular strip... which makes sense, given that Hussie himself has said that it is more a novel with illustrations and interactive bits than it is a proper comic.
    I plan on rereading it once it's complete. I want to like it in its entirety, but I feel like I won't.
    UPD8!
  • Sredni Vashtar said:Yeah, Homestuck works best when read from the beginning continuously, methinks. While waiting for upd8s can be fun—and yes, I do like typing it that way, quite a bit—the story itself is better served when read like a graphic novel rather than a regular strip... which makes sense, given that Hussie himself has said that it is more a novel with illustrations and interactive bits than it is a proper comic.

To be honest, I'm not sure
    anything with a story is better experienced drip-by-drip rather than in binge form.
  • I will say that it's odd that none of the other serials that I follow are hitting me the way that Act 6 is. 

Gunnerkrigg's doing fine. Goblins is doing fine. Spacetrawler lagged a bit at the end, but it did fine (btw, Spacetrawler just finished and it's a perfect time to go read it. You should read it). Sam & Fuzzy has its moments, but they're between good chunks of awesome. And Dr. McNinja would be fine if it had any sort of schedule.
  • Honestly, it feels like the breakneck pace of Homestuck has slowed down a bit.
  • edited 2013-09-16 17:54:35

UPD8

Cultural misunderstandings hooooo...

ALSO IMAGINARY!DIRK
    Three cheers for our illusory Prince of Heart!
  • edited 2013-09-17 00:30:22
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    To be honest, I'm not sure anything with a story is better experienced drip-by-drip rather than in binge form.
    Well, if the episodes are formulaic enough, then watching them back-to-back makes that formula entirely too blatant. Like, the adventure film serials from the 40s and 50s. Individual parts work fine on their own, but watching them back-to-back results in a story with terrible pacing because huge crises pop up and then get resolved immediately, every 15 minutes like clockwork.

Also some of the Hellboy TPBs. I'll read it and wonder to myself why there has to be a fight scene in every chapter. As best I can tell, they're there to tide over the folks reading these as individual issues.
  • edited 2013-09-17 00:38:20
    ^ Which is exactly my point: Where some works are best taken in as individual portions, and other works function well as a continuous narrative while holding up to serial reading, Homestuck functions more like a novel in that it is best read continuously or in long bouts rather than update by update. The latter is, in some respects, like reading something like Anathem or A Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy page by page; You will enjoy parts of it, but unless you have a fantastic memory and a truly obsessive mind, something will be lost in translation.
    Poor Calliope. She really can't catch a br8k. Maybe the Serkets are causing a shortage of them...