What should air on Reakt?

Reakt is ABC Warner's upcoming children's network, a live-action-permissible companion to Cartoon Network, slated to replace the Hallmark Channel on January 1, 2016. But other than a Warner Bros. Animation-produced cartoon based on Phoebe and Her Unicorn (née Heavenly Nostrils), I'm not quite sure what should air here.

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    My butt.
  • Not your butt.
  • How is the name pronounced?
  • Identically to the word "react", presumably.
  • I derived it from "reaktsiya", the Russian word for "reaction"
  • I actually first saw it as a homophone of "reeked" lol
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I thought it was pronounced "Wrecked." That's why I said "my butt."
  • That'd be "rekt".
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That's how i initially read the title.  What should air on Rekt.

Anyway i'd like to make suggestions but i've lost track of what it is you have/don't have the rights to broadcast.
    Heavenly Nostrils was a better name for that comic btw.  The name was only changed for dumb marketing reasons.
  • Tachyon said:

Heavenly Nostrils was a better name for that comic btw.  The name was only changed for dumb marketing reasons.

QFT.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tre said:

Tachyon said:

QFT.
    Indeed.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I would like that to happen, yet at the same time, I would like to respect Bill Watterson's wishes against that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

Agreed.

Also you've reminded me that I need to order a copy of the second book.

I would like that to happen, yet at the same time, I would like to respect Bill Watterson's wishes against that.

Actually, an animated adaptation was one of the few things Watterson wasn't entirely opposed to, at least early on. Granted, I doubt he'd be open to it nowadays, but as far as the realm of fantasy goes...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I don't think there needs to be a Calvin and Hobbes animated adaptation as much as I'd like it. I don't want people to waste time failing to make a Calvin and Hobbes show as much as making a show that's the NEXT Calvin and Hobbes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    A Heavenly Nostrils adaptation might come close, I think? HN is like the girly version of Calvin and Hobbes, except that the fantastical stuff is explicitly real instead of just the kid's fantasy.

So actually it's not all that similar.

You get what I'm saying.
  • edited 2015-07-09 20:31:47
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Actually, an animated adaptation was one of the few things Watterson wasn't entirely opposed to, at least early on. Granted, I doubt he'd be open to it nowadays, but as far as the realm of fantasy goes...
    I still wonder what made Watterson approve the Calvin & Hobbes stamp a while back.
  • MachSpeed said:

I thought it was pronounced "Wrecked." That's why I said "my butt."

but "my butt" would worked with "reeked" as well.
  • It is pronounced "react" end of story
  • but that's canon and canon only counts so much
  • also pokémon still belongs on UPN at 7:30 AM
  • also pokémon still belongs on UPN at 7:30 AM

It never aired on UPN proper, it was in syndication before Kids' WB! picked it up
  • edited 2015-07-10 00:19:17
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You're a Kids' WB! now

You're a Squids' WB! now
  • You are not helping
    Well then, put the Junie B. Jones animated series on your network.

You are not helping

i want to help but you didn't answer my question :<
  • edited 2015-07-10 02:03:50
    BEWARE OF GRRL!
    Tachyon said:

That's how i initially read the title.  What should air on Rekt.

Anyway i'd like to make suggestions but i've lost track of what it is you have/don't have the rights to broadcast.

Some of the back catalogs ABC Warner owns: Warner Bros. Television, Warner Bros. Animation, MGM (ALL of it - not fractured like it used to be), large portions of the former Sony Pictures Television library (their own productions prior to 1/1/1989, the libraries/intellectual properties of Embassy Television and Merv Griffin Enterprises, the Screen Gems and UPA cartoon shorts, every animated show they produced except for The Real Ghostbusters, Men in Black: The Series and Godzilla: The Series) Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, Rankin/Bass, Carsey-Werner, Jay Ward, Total TeleVision, Filmation
  • As for acquired series, I am running Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Reakt as well
  • so new shows are a no-go then?

could we get a rundown of what our big properties are here, because this could actually be quite fun, but I don't know the entire rosters of those companies offhand and am not sure how helpful Google'd be here.
  • edited 2015-07-10 02:07:03
    BEWARE OF GRRL!

so new shows are a no-go then?

could we get a rundown of what our big properties are here, because this could actually be quite fun, but I don't know the entire rosters of those companies offhand and am not sure how helpful Google'd be here.
    New shows are very much a go.

The big animated properties are largely confined to the Cartoon Network stable (though The Flintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo are set to appear on Reakt's preschool block, Reakt Romp).

Also I just remembered, ABC Warner owns Nelvana (whose Little Bear, Franklin, and Rolie Polie Olie will also appear on Reakt Romp)
  • So it's a sort of Boomerang analogue, but with new shows as well?

And the new shows are based on old properties?
  • (Big animated properties: Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost)
  • Oh holy fuck how did I forget? Schoolhouse Rock! will also appear on Reakt Romp
    so apparently you own The Fresh Prince

also Friends

is that right?
  • yeah so I think the "little kids' stuff in the morning, stuff for older kids in the afternoon after school lets out" formula would serve us well here.

What about Top Cat? I always liked him but I don't know how well he's regarded. 
    bring back Top Cat

i am seconding this
  • edited 2015-07-10 02:12:01
    BEWARE OF GRRL!
    Tachyon said:

so apparently you own The Fresh Prince

also Friends

is that right?

NBC actually owns The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but WB has the distribution rights to it. WB owns Friends completely.

yeah so I think the "little kids' stuff in the morning, stuff for older kids in the afternoon after school lets out" formula would serve us well here.

What about Top Cat? I always liked him but I don't know how well he's regarded. 
    I am desperate to do things with TC, but his show is best suited to Another Cartoon Network

maybe that stuff could sneak onto Reakt (or the main CN) sometimes
  • Fair.

What about Space Ghost?

I've long thought that adapting the more serious comic book into a series would be a good move. I think Space Ghost's public presence has faded enough that it wouldn't be seen with derision, and it could be an interesting action show. A sort of sci-fi Batman TAS.
  • Well, uh, my idea for an SG series is more based on C2C than the DC comic...it's not developed enough though, else I'd post it somewhere
    how do you feel about game shows?

when i was a kid there used to be this really good kids' game show called Jungle Run, you could make an American version
  • I want game shows. But the people seem to think them shameful.

Also you forget ABC Warner owns the Game Show Network. But I do too!
    how do you feel about game shows?

when i was a kid there used to be this really good kids' game show called Jungle Run, you could make an American version
    I have good news Tachyon

• What I'm saying is: game shows are coming. They're coming in such great numbers I think they will block out the sun. But they will soon realize this, and reorient themselves so as to allow the sun's light back onto this planet.
    If we're talking about remaking British game shows, a Knightmare remake sounds fun.
    aw man, so Jungle Run was a rip off of a US game show?

and Nickelodeon owns that show
    i never saw Knightmare though

that was before my time
  • We won't be airing Nickelodeon programming on Reakt. They are the enemy.

This clip is most of what I know
    I want to air an Americanized version of Kamen Rider Black that isn't horseshit.