official unofficial "Gay Marriage is Now Legal in the US" thread

in this time of triumph for our people, I find that the most apt depiction of how I feel has been delivered...by a straight man

Comments

• kill living beings
    gay marriage, housing discrimination, and killing a bunch of stupid obamacare lawsuits. good stuff, scotus
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I thought it would take until 2020 for something like this to happen.

This is absolutely fantastic, and I am unspeakably happy for everyone who can now marry.
  • I say we all attend each other's extremely gay weddings.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Naturally.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I await Anonus's proposal any day now
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Yay.

Now let's hope the movement doesn't lose momentum before we can end discrimination and recognize trans rights
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Corvidium said:Yay.

Now let's hope the movement doesn't lose momentum before we can end discrimination and recognize trans rights

I think the actual activist
    movement has been focused more on anti-discrimination laws recently because once it's up before the supreme court there isn't much you can do but wait
  • Corvidium said:

Yay.

Just from the executive branch down, the cape-wearer whose reaction was cited in the OP has also described trans people's rights as "the civil rights issue of our time", I don't think he's gonna let it stop here. And he did basically force Obama's hand on marriage equality (albeit while Obama was gearing up to make a major announcement of it), so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more movement on trans rights before 2018. (Then again, executive order 13672 might be the most Obama personally can do without congressional cooperation.)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    let's be lesbians
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

let's be lesbians

but I'm TAKEN
  • edited 2015-06-26 17:10:18
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

let's be lesbians

but I'm TAKEN
    I didn't necessarily say with you
  • so when's the Naney/Sredni wedding
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Anti employment-discrimination

Or do they mean

(Anti-employment) discrimination.
  • edited 2015-06-26 20:33:42
    kill living beings
    the former. as in, laws against certain forms of discrimination in employment.

eg laws against being fired for being trans.
  • that's why we need braces to represent how to parse things correctly

anti-{employment discrimination}
  • edited 2015-06-26 20:35:13
    also hey look that one county in Alabama

also Jackson Teton County in Wyoming (which contains Jackson Hole)
  • edited 2015-06-26 20:42:06
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Oh. I thought there would be more purple, then, and less Grey....
    I'm in a purple Ohio county, thank god
  • edited 2015-06-26 20:54:13
    kill living beings
    in general in the US the default is "at-will", meaning you can be fired for no reason. any kind of idea of "wrongful termination" is an explicit legislative exception. there are some federal statutes about discrimination, which are fairly new, eg you could be fired for being female before 1964

in general in the US the default is "at-will", meaning you can be fired for no reason

i still don't understand why people just accept that as a thing that's ok
  • in general in the US the default is "at-will", meaning you can be fired for no reason

i still don't understand why people just accept that as a thing that's ok
    I think--and this is true of most shitty statuses quo--people don't care because it rarely bites them, personally, in the ass.
  • Because it intuitively makes sense, even if it is horrible.
  • I think that fighting employment discrimination on the basis of sexuality is probably an easier fight than the one that was won today

I think that fighting employment discrimination on the basis of sexuality is probably an easier fight than the one that was won today

Sexuality? Maybe. Gender identity? Hahaha no.
  • I'm in a purple Ohio county, thank god

Mine is the one of the few pink counties in NC

which is better than the alternative but still, the fact that our neighbors in Durham are purple kinda shows that they need to improve
  • kill living beings
    I guess I should say, that's how it is without other agreements between employer and employed
    Granted, the cynical part of me figures it might as well be "you can fire anyone for any reason" because even if there were rules in place, employers would just make up "legitimate"-sounding reasons to fire people
  • are you implying 2gay2function isnt a validreason for firing someone
  • I think that fighting employment discrimination on the basis of sexuality is probably an easier fight than the one that was won today

Sexuality? Maybe. Gender identity? Hahaha no.
    That's exactly why I said sexuailty and not gender identity.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    someone go back in time to ensure Seth MacFarlane never leaves Hanna-Barbera/Cartoon Network Studios and sells the fuck out
  • Calica said:

i dont even care if this is real or not this so so bad that i am going to petition the supreme court to Reverse Gay Marriage
  • kill living beings
    that'll just revert ted to being dred scott

do you really want that
  • i want antonin scalia to irrumate that CGI bear until it chokes to death
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

Calica said:

i dont even care if this is real or not this so so bad that i am going to petition the supreme court to Reverse Gay Marriage
    Who's negative now Naney
  • i dont care if i have to enter a state of Ultimate Hypocrisy and sell my soul to the Hypocrisy Demons Ted is Not OK
  • Seth MacFarlane is our punishment for saying that Friedberg and Seltzer films are bad
    naney said:

Seth MacFarlane is our punishment for saying that Friedberg and Seltzer films are bad

I'd say the latter is worse.
    naney said:

Seth MacFarlane is our punishment for saying that Friedberg and Seltzer films are bad

he seemed alright when he was just a cartoonist
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can usually sympathize with Seth MacFarlane and the position he's found himself in, but man, that legit makes me want to punch him in the face.
  • i will tell you what watching Date Movie with the audio commentary from the only two film critics they could find who did not totally pan it (they apologize for failing to do so profusely throughout) was legitimately really fun
    naney said:

i will tell you what watching Date Movie with the audio commentary from the only two film critics they could find who did not totally pan it (they apologize for failing to do so profusely throughout) was legitimately really fun

He is, ultimately, probably more deserving of hate than those guys.
    I don't think Seth McFarlane actually likes anything, with the exception of old Hollywood musicals.
    Odradek said:

I don't think Seth McFarlane actually likes anything, with the exception of old Hollywood musicals.

also maybe old Hanna-Barbera cartoons

a lot of the people who worked at the studio in the early '90s liked that stuff
    Van Partible went so far as to involve Ed Benedict himself with Johnny Bravo
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    He deleted it, apparently.

Maybe someone was able to convince him how dumb it was.
  • edited 2015-06-27 05:26:52
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    So even if I didn't support marriage equality, I feel like I'd still think this was a bit, uh, tasteless.