Comcast Can't Grab Time Warner Cable: American telco giants don't combine

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Ah, bottom of the ACSI list buddies. :P Enjoy sucking together!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Congratulations: They've found the one way to make Time Warner Cable worse!
  • If that happens I'm going to try as hard as I can to not be a subscriber to their services.

Seriously, I'll take frakkin' AT&T over either of those two, and I don't even consider myself a big fan of them either...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • My ISP used to be Adelphia. Then that got bought out by Time Warner Cable. Then that's getting bought by Comcast.

I can't wait until there's just one ISP. I'm sure that with the huge install base, Comcast can afford to keep its prices low, and that their control over NBC will have no implications for services like Netflix.
  • edited 2014-02-13 22:28:18
    doublepost
    I'm a bit surprised that, Comcast aside, no media titan seemed interested in TWC. Time Warner itself wouldn't be in a position to buy it back, what with it paring itself down to just WB, Turner and HBO...

But still, you'd think that Comcast's ownership of NBCUniversal would spook NBCU's competitors more than it seems to...
    One of TWC's shareholders has sued to block the deal.

Given that the shareholders of Fisher and Belo complained about Sinclair and Gannett respectively not offering enough money for those companies and the deals went through anyway, I don't know if this lawsuit will kill this deal.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Probably not

But I can always hope...
    It wouldn't surprise me if a bidding war resumed in the wake of this. Time Warner Cable is too valuable for that not to happen.
    True.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    It's like dinosaurs mating.
  • I notice that Ovation is among the cable channels supporting the deal

Why am I surprised, it's owned by the right-wing Hubbard family
  • Also why are little guys like them supporting the deal anyway? They're dead meat if this goes through. The big guys like Viacom are terrified that the newly enlarged Comcast would use its heft to kill off their small-fry channels like Spike...
    Their principles are overriding their brains...
    And Ovation is an artsy channel whose ratings are probably not very high. In a merger like this, you know they're going to be first against the wall. Big mergers mean bland, crowd-pleasing channels win out over everything else.
  • Even more puzzling is that Starz is controlled by John Malone, who took a big stake in Charter Communications which he used to try to buy TWC...
  • lee4hmz said:

And Ovation is an artsy channel whose ratings are probably not very high. In a merger like this, you know they're going to be first against the wall. Big mergers mean bland, crowd-pleasing channels win out over everything else.

Indeed...
  • It wouldn't surprise me if television's general shift towards emphasizing the bland and crowd-pleasing was killing it...
    I've been bewildered for years about the tendency of niche channels that had good starts (like SyFy) to magically transform into brainless rerun dumps, and consolidation just encourages that sort of behaviour. I used to call it "USA 1990 syndrome", but hell, even USA Network in 1990 had more to recommend it than does modern SyFy or even Discovery these days.

• idk

people seem to think we're in some kind of TV Renaissance.

I don't see it personally.
    Well, a lot of the good shows are on streaming services you have to pay $$$ for, or on cable networks you also have to pay $$$ for. (Or you have to wait for the DVDs, and those cost money too.) 

Free-to-air TV doesn't have much of a horse in this race at the moment.
  • idk

people seem to think we're in some kind of TV Renaissance.

I don't see it personally.
    a bunch of channels gravitating towards Critically-Acclaimed Scripted Programming about moral ambiguity
    lee4hmz said:

I've been bewildered for years about the tendency of niche channels that had good starts (like SyFy) to magically transform into brainless rerun dumps, and consolidation just encourages that sort of behaviour. I used to call it "USA 1990 syndrome", but hell, even USA Network in 1990 had more to recommend it than does modern SyFy or even Discovery these days.

and they never seem to succeed more as brainless rerun dumps, either

Conversely, you see genreless channels finding niches so they don't die (e.g. TNT learning drama, TBS deciding it was very funny, USA welcoming character)
  • I haven't had cable since 2010 and don't really miss it.

I'd like to watch certain cartoons, that's about it.

I have no idea what The History Channel is airing nowadays, they were deep in the Ice Road Trucker / Ancient Aliens / American Pickers phase when we dropped our subscription.
  • They've started running Original Scripted Programming like Vikings and Sons of Liberty
  • oh yeah, Vikings. I heard that was alright.

Still, that's at most two channels I want to watch.
    History may still be in its All Myths are True/Tnnt Sniens phase, I actually don't know for sure. Docusoaps and "scripted reality" are all the rage right now because they're cheap to make.
  • I'd want to have CN and Disney XD (if Disney chooses to keep the animation there)...Boomerang is off my want list because the Turner management nuked anything that made it special (hell, they are seemingly getting ready to evict The Flintstones now too)...
    Boomerang would be awesome if they still ran all the rarities that CN did in its pre-What A Cartoon days...
  • They'd be awesome if they didn't drop the Huck/Quick Draw/Yogi trifecta. WB would be awesome if they put anything that remained from those shows onto DVD, in full (so far there is only Huck's first season, both of Yogi's seasons, one Huck cartoon from after the first season, and four episodes of Quick Draw's show)
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Last time I checked, the History Channel was in All Nazis All the Time mode. Has it somehow gotten worse?
  • when was the last time you checked
  • Corvidium said:

Last time I checked, the History Channel was in All Nazis All the Time mode. Has it somehow gotten worse?

You're talking about like the history channel of 2002 right there.
  • funny, I thought of 2002

and I was never a big History Channel viewer
  • btw I wonder whatever happened to the Digging For The Truth guy.
    Yeah, all the WWII documentaries moved to the Military History Channel or whatever.
    nobody gets that channel, do they
    We do, I think, but this is high-tier FiOS we're talking about. Generic shitty Comcast probably wouldn't have it.
    ah yes, high-tier FiOS, home of channels us flyover plebeians aren't allowed
    woe is us
    (Seriously, though, there's a lot of channels in this package we, like, never watch. I mainly bother because I hate seeing "sorry you can't get this channel", and because it enables all the sports channels.)
    Also, back when FiM was hot, The Hub was only available in the higher tiers. Of course, I'd record it and then never watch it :P
    lee4hmz said:

(Seriously, though, there's a lot of channels in this package we, like, never watch. I mainly bother because I hate seeing "sorry you can't get this channel", and because it enables all the sports channels.)

what channels are they

are they the Ooh! The Secret Hanna-Barbera Channel channel or anything
    Sadly, no. It's stuff like...horse racing. Fishing. Golf. Stuff even my sports-fanatic stepfather won't watch. I'd have to look at the tier charts to know what else is in the high tier that's not in the two lower ones.
  • I remember when i was little we went to visit my grandmother she had cable and there was nothing else to do so i'd just watch shit (old cartoons and animal planet whatever) all day and when I got back home I felt like I had just utterly fucking wasted a chunk of my life and that's why i have a reflexive hatred of TV
    what old cartoons