characters with scythes

other than the grim reaper (Death) and Komachi Onozuka

anybody think of any?

Comments

• edited 2017-11-13 03:31:27
    kill living beings
    hase from hackgu

that one chick from the comic with the grinning sun and the soul eating (not the guy, because he is the scythe)
  • The entire final boss sequence of Chain of Memories.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

hase from hackgu

that one chick from the comic with the grinning sun and the soul eating (not the guy, because he is the scythe)

Tsubaki (although she can also transform into a scythe I think)?
  • edited 2017-11-13 04:04:04
    kill living beings
    how the fuck would i even know you fuck!!!
  • Magus from Chrono Trigger.  Lynx from Cross.  Menardi and Karst in Golden Sun.  Renne from Trails in the Sky.
  • The Dervish class in Guild Wars use scythes as a weapon, for some reason.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    oh yeah, how could I forget Magus!
  • Crystal said:

hase from hackgu

Tsubaki (although she can also transform into a scythe I think)?
    I assume he meant Maka.
    .... oh right duh.
  • there's also that one miniboss from Bunny Must Die
    That would be Maka, I presume
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Priscilla from Dark Souls.
  • edited 2017-11-13 06:27:08
    also Sigma in Mega Man X4 and X5?

also Prometheus in Mega Man ZX
    Also Kneesocks from P&SwG.

hmm, it's more common than I thought
  • oh yeah, Deadmaster from Black Rock Shooter
  • iirc it's not actually a great weapon

it just looks intimidating thanks to being a big blade with a sharp tip and being associated with death

even though death uses it pretty much because it's the tool he uses on the job, rather than because it's a particularly effective weapon by design
  • Shinoa from Seraph of the End.

It's twice her size and has a demon possessing it.
    demon possession is a +3 power increase
    Jane said:

oh yeah, Deadmaster from Black Rock Shooter

whoa
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Scyther.
    wao
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-13 19:46:48

iirc it's not actually a great weapon

it just looks intimidating thanks to being a big blade with a sharp tip and being associated with death

even though death uses it pretty much because it's the tool he uses on the job, rather than because it's a particularly effective weapon by design

I read a fanfiction once where one of the bad guys was using a scythe to be all SCARY and BADASS, and he got the shit completely beaten out of him because it turns out scythes are just awful weapons with terrible balance, bad blade reach, and only one real point of threat.

Just once, I want to see a game where you fight Death, and he just drops his scythe and pulls out a sword because it's not actually a weapon.
  • Whoever wrote that sounds like a really boring person.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-13 19:52:42
    It was pretty anime as shit.  That was just one of the minor villains fighting one of the C-list heroes.
  • Well, also, Death gets a magically-adorned scythe that can hurt you even if it hits you with its blunt edge.  It's also very large and spins around having a very large threat area.
    There is the so-called war scythe, but that's a bit different.
  • One of the Mega Man Zero games gives you a double-scythe or something.
  • The war scythe looks more like a sickle-on-a-stick.

Also reminds me of Sha Wujing's weapon, though that's more like a stick with a crescent on it.
  • A war scythe is basically just a bladed spear, which solves most of the combat problems of using a regular-ass scythe.  They were also extremely easy to make from repurposed farming tools.
    this has been a very scythy thread, I thank all contributors
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Bee said:

A war scythe is basically just a bladed spear, which solves most of the combat problems of using a regular-ass scythe.  They were also extremely easy to make from repurposed farming tools.

death could easily have a scythe that magically turns into a war scythe
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-14 09:01:44
    At that point he might as well just use a proper halberd or something.  A scythe isn't there to cut, it's specifically to gather and cut.  But inside-curve blades are mechanically more trouble than they're worth for anything harder to cut than...well...grass.  You're presenting an opportunity to catch at the farthest end of your lever arm, and that's a lot more dangerous to you than your opponent.
  • edited 2017-11-14 09:52:02
    Death just magically animates his scythe anyway.

Incidentally, the fact that he's a skeleton should probably mean that he ought to be resistant to slashing attacks, which mean a good number of your basic Castlevania weapons, but I don't think Castlevania has ever done that specifically with Death.  Instead, they just make him resistant to darkness-element attacks and sometimes weak to holy-element attacks, so I guess they mean to treat him as a supernatural/magical entity instead.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-14 12:07:13
    Typically gaming systems give skeletons high resistance to piercing damage, but logically, they'd be more vulnerable to slashing attacks than living people.  Bones don't really stand up well to metal weapons, and even a lot of unarmed martial arts have plenty of ways to snap joints with bare hands/feet.  Our bones are made to withstand very specific forces, and it doesn't take much to go outside that and make bad things happen (one of the first things you learn in any martial art, armed or unarmed, is that the human body is both powerful and fragile).

The reason you might get your blade stuck in the opponent is because all the wet tissue is constantly absorbing and dispersing the momentum of the strike until it's no longer enough to cleanly cut/break bone.  A skeleton doesn't have that.  I guess you'd be more prone to glancing hits just because a skeleton is smooth, but if you get a solid hit on naked bone, even a poor cut would essentially reduce to a bludgeoning impact with a small surface area -- it's really just a question of whether you get a cut or a break.  I guess in terms of game mechanics it would be higher damage with an accuracy penalty or something, but most don't bother.