straight from the Obama era

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Early Obama era, too. Like, back before his hair was gray.
  • everything from the late bush era to now has blended together for me

the gamecube, haruhi, and my little pony friendship is magic are contemporaries
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i thought haruhi was from 06
  • which is late bush era, and then it was wildly popular on TVT around 2009-2010
  • I don't know if I fully get this show

I do remember when it was everywhere, though, and I guess that overexposure may have been why I never bothered to see it for myself
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i never watched it so i don't know.  they did the same ep 8 times in a row though, that was funny to watch other people get upset about
  • Calica said:

i thought haruhi was from 06

The second season and movie were 2009/2010.

I liked Haruhi I guess. It was a weird whole thing.
  • Haruhi is one of my favorite shows ever (and my server is in the midst of a group rewatch) and "Endless Eight" is one of anime's great follies

mostly though I just think this meme is funny.
  • kill living beings
    so did they just spend eight weeks reairing this one episode? how's that work with the seasons
  • so did they just spend eight weeks reairing this one episode? how's that work with the seasons

Yes, they did. I'm not fully sure what you mean by the seasons thing though.
  • so did they just spend eight weeks reairing this one episode? how's that work with the seasons

it's 8 different episodes but they all depict the same events. The animation, voice acting, etc. is unique to each one, but they're only slightly different

and it took up most of the second season. People were not happy at the time. I think public opinion has softened like very slightly since then, but even today you will not find many people who actually advocate watching all 8 episodes.
  • edited 2017-11-12 21:01:54
    Oh wait, I think I see what you mean. Technically it wasn't actually reairing the same episode, they animated eight separate episodes where the exact same stuff happens. The characters' outfits and some other small details change between them also.

Also the last part and (I think) also the first one are slightly different, so it's "only" six of the exact same thing.

edit: ninja'd
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    That sounds like a terrible idea for any show that isn't Phineas and Ferb.
  • edited 2017-11-12 21:05:04
    Honestly I think it's kind of hilarious because of how stupid it was, though I imagine I'd have been as upset as anyone if I'd actually been watching weekly. (I watched all eight of them in one sitting for some reason.)

I think it was supposedly done to avoid going through the books too fast (the short story it's based on is the equivalent of just the eighth episode), except they never did another season oops.
  • kill living beings
    well, like. a season is thirteen episodes or so. did they have a season where eight of the thirteen episodes were repeats? because i was assuming they had a season with 20 episodes except that eight of them were the same. which wouldn't fit the timing of seasons
  • edited 2017-11-12 21:07:28
    I went into Endless Eight knowing what it would be and I watched all of it and I actually enjoyed it, to my surprise.

I would expect that, had I not know what was happening, I would have been blown away, and enjoyed it even more.
  • edited 2017-11-12 21:10:26

well, like. a season is thirteen episodes or so. did they have a season where eight of the thirteen episodes were repeats? because i was assuming they had a season with 20 episodes except that eight of them were the same. which wouldn't fit the timing of seasons

No yeah, it was a 14-episode season so Endless Eight was more than half of it.

Although just to make the whole season concept weird, the second season was actually shown interleaved with a rerun of the first season, in chronological order.

Haruhi was a really weird thing.
  • anyway Haruhi is basically the square root of Monogatari
  • I think it was supposedly done to avoid going through the books too fast (the short story it's based on is the equivalent of just the eighth episode), except they never did another season oops.

What I've heard suggested (though it's probably wrong) is they did it because originally they'd planned to have Disappearance be part of the TV series (which would presumably be like six episodes), and then when they decided to make it a movie instead they figured they'd just do something ridiculous and make Endless Eight last for eight entire episodes instead of like two.
  • I actually like designs like that.  The ones that use "interface screw" to express what's going on.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

everything from the late bush era to now has blended together for me

in all honesty, everything post-2000 is like this for me

it's like pop-cultural time stopped and now it's all just a big aimless mashup
  • that, except that i didn't really pay much attention to online fandoms before around that time
  • everything from the late bush era to now has blended together for me

in all honesty, everything post-2000 is like this for me

it's like pop-cultural time stopped and now it's all just a big aimless mashup
    that one picture of principal skinner from the simpsons goes here

I actually like designs like that.  The ones that use "interface screw" to express what's going on.

trust me like, it sounds great, but we're talking about something that is 4 hours long and has like 45 minutes' worth of content in it. It's horrible
    which Principal Skinner picture are we talking about here
  • Jane said:

I actually like designs like that.  The ones that use "interface screw" to express what's going on.

trust me like, it sounds great, but we're talking about something that is 4 hours long and has like 45 minutes' worth of content in it. It's horrible
    Do you mean Endless Eight?

It's got "45 minutes' worth of content" only if you're solely caring about gathering information about the story and ignoring the whole experience of actually going through and being stunned by it.

It's the kind of thing that's like how people say "you had to be there to really know it".  and what i appreciate is that i was there.  even though i knew what was happening, i was there.

and besides, it was interesting to see the different ways they chose to animate each scene.  and to notice the subtle differences between the episodes.
  • I was also there.

I think the nicest thing I can say about it is that it was ambitious. It really just isn't interesting enough a thing to justify its runtime, not week by week and not all at once.

but hey if you wanna try to completely invalidate my experiences by claiming you're somehow closer to the material that's fine too I guess
    now now, let's not have pointless bickering over personal opinions

let's remember the important stuff

like 1:58 or so
  • Jane said:

I was also there.

I think the nicest thing I can say about it is that it was ambitious. It really just isn't interesting enough a thing to justify its runtime, not week by week and not all at once.

but hey if you wanna try to completely invalidate my experiences by claiming you're somehow closer to the material that's fine too I guess
    i'm sorry that you misunderstood me but i didn't mean to invalidate your experience.  i just was expressing mine.

and to be fair, i didn't watch it week by week, though I think i took 0-2 days between each myself (0 being watching the next episode immediately).

that said i even opined that it might have been even more trollish if the episodes had outright copied the material.  maybe it's just that i was in the mood for it so i thought it was clever.  or maybe i just have a thing for trollish cleverness.  dunno.  our tastes in anime are almost certainly quite different, far as i can tell from other things.
  • honestly glenn I have come to the conclusion that I am really hard on you without having any reason to be, so I'm sorry about that and will try to not do it anymore

and yeah idk I just don't find like, "it's funny" to be a good reason to do something with an anime. I think they thought they were making something interesting and I'm sure it was fun to make, but it's just rather boring to watch imo
  • edited 2017-11-13 06:12:55
    fair enough, also sorry if i'm making you feel uncomfortable

i just thought it was clever and i enjoyed _that_ because i find even two-bit cleverness amusing.  but it's not everyone's cup of tea and that's fair
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What would you do if it turned out Haruhi was real all along?
  • edited 2020-08-30 23:37:48
    Haruhi (the character) is oddly charming in a certain way

(Haruhi (the show) is definitely a show i enjoyed)
  • Haruhi is weird because my brain has for some reason deleted all memory that it ever existed. Like every so often some memory will resurface of Gurren Lagann or Code Geass or some other anime I watched in high school but except on the rare occasion I see someone else mention it I just never consciously remember Haruhi. This is despite the fact that I was pretty into it for a while. I even read the books! Somehow it is just so strongly linked with a particular time period I find it hard to conceive of the fact that it wasn't erased from the timeline in the 2012 apocalypse.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I’m glad that something like Haruhi was popular, but I’m just not into it in the end.

Itsuki is great, though. I also want to watch all of the Endless Eight sometime, because why not?

This is the oldest upload of this I was able to find

Be sure to listen to it on $14 earbuds from Walmart for the true Socially Awkward Late '00s Teenager Experience
  • Fun fact! that video was private for the longest time, it was only made public again a few years ago
  • well i listened to it on quiet laptop speakers, in my bedroom, without my parents knowing

i guess that counts
  • edited 2022-04-13 16:41:53
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When we only had the family computer, I just listened to stuff through the speakers, because I only really used it after everyone else in the house had gone to bed anyways

But when I got a laptop of my own and could start using my own computer whenever I wanted, I switched to headphones...and it was almost always whatever cheapo earbuds I could convince my mom to grab for me when she went grocery shopping

Nowadays I almost exclusively use a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, because I'm a real adult with a real job and I can afford real headphones