America's Funniest Home Videos's reputation for male pain

I know they cultivated that on purpose but like

Is this retroactive? The Saget version didn't really have that stuff

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Male pain? Like when your football team loses and you throw a temper tantrum?
  • kill living beings
    haha, that guy hurt his balls
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    All I know is that the funniest video never wins, it's always the one with the cutest kid
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-11-11 03:10:08
    Bob Saget's series had its share of crotch shots, but it wasn't like half the goddamn show.
    Odradek said:

All I know is that the funniest video never wins, it's always the one with the cutest kid

If by cutest you mean "usually the one that's ridiculously spoiled and screams like a fucking banshee and people think that's hilarious for some reason instead of being properly horrified at his/her behavior".
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I liked the ones where things went wrong enough to somehow turn out okay, like this one I once saw where a guy threw a bicycle onto a roof, but it slid off and fell onto a bike rack just perfectly  to park itself.

Or this one I saw where these kids were playing baseball in a backyard, and the batter hit the baseball into a window, but the ball just bounced back instead of breaking the window, and the catcher dived and almost caught it.
  • I used to like AFV but then I later realized it was mainly about humor at someone else's suffering, often undeserved, and it didn't really sit right with me anymore.
    Aliroz said:

I liked the ones where things went wrong enough to somehow turn out okay, like this one I once saw where a guy threw a bicycle onto a roof, but it slid off and fell onto a bike rack just perfectly  to park itself.

Or this one I saw where these kids were playing baseball in a backyard, and the batter hit the baseball into a window, but the ball just bounced back instead of breaking the window, and the catcher dived and almost caught it.
    Ooh, these are the most elegant ones.