Can't we keep DST year-round?

Apart from the extra hour there is nothing good about standard time IMO

Gets dark at 5PM in the winter

Comments

• Something something something farmers? Idk, ask Aliroz. But there's a reason we do it.
  • kill living beings
    not a good one.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    We do it to save energy

Unfortunately, it has been a long long time since Americans spent that much of the electric bill on lighting
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The whole thing seems really silly when you realize that our measurements of time are a totally arbitrary concept to begin with

There's no "natural" reason why each rotation of the earth should be divided into 24 equal hours; it's just a really convenient number
  • But consider: it's also one extra hour of giant bomb's extra life stream.
  • kill living beings
    I think we've reached a point in civilization where we can abandon the artificial notion of "time zones". just have noon at any particular location be whenever the sun is overhead. let computers with GPS figure out the details so you know what real time it is no matter where you are
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

The whole thing seems really silly when you realize that our measurements of time are a totally arbitrary concept to begin with

There's no "natural" reason why each rotation of the earth should be divided into 24 equal hours; it's just a really convenient number
    iirc it's "the day is ten hours plus one for dawn and one for dusk" and then the night was measured differently, and then when we actually needed numbers for everything we made it twice the day
  • evening at seventeen is great though

have standard time all-year pls
  • I think we've reached a point in civilization where we can abandon the artificial notion of "time zones". just have noon at any particular location be whenever the sun is overhead. let computers with GPS figure out the details so you know what real time it is no matter where you are

Because road trip itineraries would get suuuuuper weird.
  • edited 2017-11-05 19:54:02
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The main point of having it be dark at 5 pm and having it look like midnight at 6 pm is to cause suffering, which is good. The more you suffer, the less often earthquakes happen (this is why car alarms exist and are so terrible).

And we don't want earthquakes waking that which sleeps soundly beneath our unsuspecting world.

The reason for a twenty-four-hour day is that the protection-from-magic-for-all-within-earshot effects of ritual chimes only last so long before needing to be renewed (see: the histories regarding queen Cinderella).
  • Hm

I've been operating under the pretense for a while that should I invoke you, you could provide a good reason for DST

But that doesn't seem to be the case
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    So, okay, back in the day, Benjamin Franklin wrote an essay about how it made zero sense how the people of Paris got up at, like, noon and stayed up for hours after sunset, when it would save so much on candles to just use daylight and wake up early (the essay is a joke, mostly about Franklin's own bad habit of sleeping in until the afternoon).  In this essay, he proposed several absurd "remedies" for the problem, including cannons fired at sunrise, taxes on candles, and altering the clocks to make Parisians think that they were getting up hours later than they actually were, because seriously, nobody wants to get up early.

But, while some European countries took the idea and decided to create their own early versions of Daylight Savings Time, DST didn't become a thing in America until the 1970s, when major cities like New York and New Orleans got sick and tired of massive energy bills from the nightlife of cities; and lobbied for clocks to be changed to get people to wake up earlier and use more daylight, because seriously, nobody wants to get up early.  
    (2015 self)
    Agricultural, rural, places, up to surprisingly recently in terms of human generations, were more based in sunlight-time than in clock-time.  DST is more a function of the world of factory shifts and clock towers, in which minutes and seconds matter, where traffic is a thing.
    (2015 self)
    Everybody hates DST; city-people blame farmers, and rural-people blame metropolises.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Just switch everyone to Universal Time and let people get used to how solar time in their locale relates to clock time

http://vidthekid.info/vspace/pt.php?bid=9
  • Today was day 1 of going home at 6 PM and it already being pitch black. The fact that this is going to continue for months is honestly soulcrushing to think about.

Year round DST can't possibly come soon enough.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    USDOT won't allow year-round DST. You'd have to get the whole state switched to the next time zone east, and then not observe DST at all.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    It's probably easier just to petition your boss to set your work shift an hour earlier.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tatterhood lives in Canada. I don't know the relevant governing body up there.
  • also I'm a grad student so I don't really have a shift
  • kill living beings
    work when you want as long as it's all the time
  • I mean, it probably would be a reasonable thing to start waking up and going to bed an hour earlier, but that would require taking responsibility instead of blaming things on DST.
  • edited 2017-11-07 16:14:19

also I'm a grad student so I don't really have a shift

work when you want as long as it's all the time

the first time you do this: Heck yeah!!

the nth time you do this: ...ugh.