General Video Game Thread

Comments

• I think someone played cuphead ppporly for a video games website

so now all te etics in vidoe game jounalism people are triyng to play cuphead better
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hot tip for people who are having trouble on certain Cuphead bosses and want to cheese them: The charge shot is OP

The downside of it is that it takes longer to charge, so you don't want to miss

But almost all the bosses in Cuphead are large and stationary enough that it's hard TO miss
    Other hot tips:

1: Parry Sugar has a misleading description. It doesn't auto-activate once per level, it auto-activates once per jump, making it much more useful than you would otherwise assume

2: The charm that causes your super to auto-fill up is useful for the airplane stages, as most of the other charms become useless in the plane

3: Smoke bomb is the best charm for most boss fights

4: Chaser is bad against bosses, but good in run and gun stages with a lot of fiddly little enemies

5: All the guns are useful, even if they might not feel like it

6: The third super is pretty useless though, just decide whether you want the horizontal beam or temporary invincibility for any given boss or level

7: Don't mess with King Dice
  • you mean mister king dice
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Andrew Dice Clay
  • ILLBLEED said:

Other hot tips:

1: Parry Sugar has a misleading description. It doesn't auto-activate once per level, it auto-activates once per jump, making it much more useful than you would otherwise assume

2: The charm that causes your super to auto-fill up is useful for the airplane stages, as most of the other charms become useless in the plane

3: Smoke bomb is the best charm for most boss fights

4: Chaser is bad against bosses, but good in run and gun stages with a lot of fiddly little enemies

5: All the guns are useful, even if they might not feel like it

6: The third super is pretty useless though, just decide whether you want the horizontal beam or temporary invincibility for any given boss or level

7: Don't mess with King Dice
    see I think gun choice just comes down to play style. I've found the Chaser useful on almost every boss
  • edited 2017-10-09 04:55:41
    Chaser seems to be basically DPS for convenience, which is useful in some circumstances when you can't face the boss head-on or even at an angle.
  • I like it cuz I find splitting my focus effectively difficult.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I get that I'm not the target audience for the SNES Mini or NES Mini, but...I don't understand why they're HDMI only.

Because, like...that rules out actually connecting them to an era-appropriate TV set.

Instead of making it HDMI-only and giving you a faux-CRT effect, just add a composite video output so people can hook it up to one of the actual CRTs they've got lying around.

Does Nintendo just assume that nobody has CRTs lying around anymore?
  • of the people making current-gen video game stuff Nintendo is the one that understands their audience the least so I'm gonna go with "yeah".
  • kill living beings
    without reference to video games i'm curious who still has a CRT monitor and who makes RCA cables
  • it costs extra money to put that in and anyone dweeby enough to wanna do that is willing to cough up whatever extra dodads to get whatever you need to turn that HDMI output into something you can plug into your old tv
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-09 19:24:52
    Honestly CRT televisions need to die as quickly as possible.  Those things were a fucking deathtrap.

No offense.  I still have one in my old room at my parents' place.  But OH GOD.  Have you ever had to volt test one of those things?  You need a probe the size of a caulking gun and rubber fucking boots, and that's while it's unplugged.
    remembering all the bizarre analogies yahtzee made about nintendo being a stripper
  • Apathy said:

without reference to video games i'm curious who still has a CRT monitor and who makes RCA cables

I don't have a CRT monitor and I don't make RCA cables but I do have a bunch of RCA cables
  • I get that I'm not the target audience for the SNES Mini or NES Mini, but...I don't understand why they're HDMI only.

Because, like...that rules out actually connecting them to an era-appropriate TV set.

Instead of making it HDMI-only and giving you a faux-CRT effect, just add a composite video output so people can hook it up to one of the actual CRTs they've got lying around.

they probably assume anyone who has a crt lying around and wants to play snes games also has a snes lying around
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Algebra said:

I get that I'm not the target audience for the SNES Mini or NES Mini, but...I don't understand why they're HDMI only.

they probably assume anyone who has a crt lying around and wants to play snes games also has a snes lying around
    yeah i was about to say pretty much this.  anyone wanting to play on an era-appropriate tv is the sort to actually want the retro hardware i think?
  • May not be an option with cartridge batteries, mind.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-10 09:11:25
    So after all it took to get Ys 8 onto Steam (and with a very hefty price tag!), apparently the translation is utter garbage because NISA outbid XSeed on it and then cocked it up.  From what I'm reading, it goes as far as stuff like item descriptions outright lying to you.

Here's hoping Falcom hears the outcry.  At least in an Ys game it's not horribly game breaking, but if they start licensing extremely story-heavy stuff like Trails to NISA, it's going to lead balloon.

It seems to have gotten enough volume that some Japanese outlets took note.
  • edited 2017-10-10 08:09:33
    Bee said:

So after all it took to get Ys 8 onto Steam (and with a very hefty price tag!), apparently the translation is utter garbage because NISA outbid XSeed on it and then cocked it up.  From what I'm reading, it goes as far as stuff like item descriptions outright lying to you.

Here's hoping Falcom hears the outcry.  At least in an Ys game it's not horribly game breaking, but if they start licensing extremely story-heavy stuff like Trails to NISA, it's going to lead balloon.
    REPORT CARD SO FAR

XSEED: A
    Mastiff: B-
    NISA: D
    Aksys: not in yet
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-10 07:41:55
    https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y for a demonstration.  This is kind of awful.  Like, transparently "do you even have a single native English speaker on your team" awful.

BIG HOLE
  • Okay, some of these are obvious, but what's wrong with "This is...a trap that's used by Romun troops"?

And since when did we have to put a space after an ellipsis?

But wow, some of these are...muy jorrible.
  • edited 2017-10-10 08:03:29
    also

this is worse than Mastiff

at least Gurumin's script was enjoyable and understandable even if it had occasional bugs/typos

demoting NISA

well, actually, wait.

how well does the game run?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-10 08:19:37

but what's wrong with "This is...a trap that's used by Romun troops"?

What native English speaker would actually say it aloud that way in conversation?  It's basically a near-direct scan of Japanese syntax, which comes out to unnecessarily stilted and awkwardly constructed English.

For context, Aaron is a straightforward and rudely blunt Romun military policeman (and anyone familiar with Ys would know the horrible shit Romn has been up to and immediately be on guard).  Things like vocal pauses give him an incongruously passive voice, because they mean something completely different in English speaking patterns.  Hell, bluntness itself is conveyed differently between Japanese and English.

In English, he'd be more likely to say something like:

"It's a trap.  Romun troops use this kind a lot."

The personality conveyed in just one line is completely different.  That's the difference between a translation and a localization.

The ellipsis space thing is most likely mechanical.  Most text editors don't consider an ellipsis a line breaking character, which can lead to lines wrapping too soon -- and even if yours does, it might not the moment someone else copies your loc file into their own platform, and nobody would notice the overflow until it hit QA.  Given the problems already inherent to English being less compact, something like this can cause significant waste of available space, especially if the two words being connected by an ellipsis are long.

From what I can tell, the game itself is fine.  Even the people complaining are pretty open about that much.
  • Okay, I don't know the original version of that line about the trap used by Romun troops.  It's just that the line is something that CAN be plausibly said like that in English, but it expresses surprise (in a relatively quiet way), though I'm not sure whether that's the right implication given the context.  Seems like you're saying it isn't?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-10 09:05:21
    So looking a bit closer, you're right in what needs to be conveyed.  In that scene, Aaron is tracking a serial killer, and he's supposed to come off vaguely like a medieval detective.  The trap was invisible razor wire at neck level, and it already almost killed one of your companions.  You cut it loose and are holding it out for him to look at after the fact.  So yes, there would be some quiet surprise at his own army (and thus himself) being implicated, but even then he wouldn't mince words that obliquely.

"This is... a military-style trap."

One thing to keep in mind is that one of his very next lines is straight-up telling the victim that she was almost decapitated.  You have to be very sparing with ellipses and stammering and stuff in a character like that, and while this one might be warranted for the Shocking Clue, pretty much none of the others he uses in that scene are.  He comes off a bit too everyman.
  • edited 2017-10-10 20:28:26
    Actually, I can easily imagine a Law & Order detective (esp. Bobby Goren) saying, with a casually humorous voice, half-wittily appreciating the cleverness of the trap, "This is...a trap the Romun army would use.  Alex, you just about lost your head right there."

Not sure if this Aaron is the joking witty type though.
  • Also passive voice sounds weird and awkward in English because it disrupts sentence flow.  When you see it overused in a translation it's almost always an artifact of Japanese grammar that never got an editing pass.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    people always say that, in writing guides and such, but i find myself defaulting to the passive voice a lot

i don't always even notice until i go back and edit stuff
    passive voice is the way to go
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Argath's design in FFXIV's new Rabanastre raid is pretty great.

imageimage
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Dude, hell yes.
    is that some kind of creature or a black metal band logo
  • does he call you milksop rabble
  • edited 2017-10-12 00:56:05
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Nah, he just shouts stuff like "Like sheep before the wolf!", "You are but blood to stain the circle!", "I am the truth from which you run!", "I AM REVELATION!", and "Kneel and repent!"

Oh, and also "Maggots!".
  • Nah, he just shouts stuff like "Like sheep before the wolf!", "You are but blood to stain the circle!", "I am the truth from which you run!", "I AM REVELATION!", and "Kneel and repent!"

Oh, and also "Maggots!".
    so he secretly believes that he is someone who believes he is a grizzled WW2 veteran
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-12 01:31:00
    Kind of accurate to FFT, yeah.

You know what's not true to FFT?  Not calling you milksop rabble.
    Bee said:

Kind of accurate to FFT, yeah.

You know what's not true to FFT?  Not calling you milksop rabble.
    He has a piece of auracite before the fight, so it's implied he's actually being possessed by a Lucavi or something. The raid's other bosses are Mateus from XII, Hashmal, and Rofocale (the Sagittarius Lucavi, who was dummied out of FFT.)
  • does anyone else feel unimpressed by monster voices that basically amount to someone putting their voice through a voice distorter
    what would you prefer? the voice of Elmo or somebody?
    voice acting was a mistake
    Well, someone's heart isn't singing in the chaos.
  • edited 2017-10-12 02:02:57
    remember the days when one expected a smooth, sexy tenor voice and instead was greeted by Robert Belgrade's deadpan bass voice

this world needs more things like that

voices that don't match stereotypes
    WHAT???
  • edited 2017-10-12 02:23:36
    I'M INTERESTED IN THIS.