Anime

Comments

• that's a good reason to not want to go back there.
  • only $25 too, that's pretty affordable.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    you can if you're MADE OF MONEY
    Viani said:

Is this Diana x Akko thing canon?

I keep seeing people ship them but not sure if it's legit since I'm still on EP1

i don't know if it's actually canon but it should be
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    CABBAGE
    i do not ship akko and cavendish
  • edited 2017-09-25 20:44:37
    I do not ship Akko and Cavendish
    I ship Akko and Kaito Kumon now
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Akko x Her Shiny Chariot Card
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Reg x Marulk.
  • So I showed someone who was waxing nostalgic about 90s anime/OVAs being so much better than contemporary anime this

I mean, to be fair, they were often bad in a way that simply doesn't exist any more, I'll give them that; and there are some '90s OVAs which are good in a way in which very little modern anime is to whit. But that's not a value judgement, just a matter of style. And while the charm of period cel animation is largely lost, new hands like Imaishi, Yuasa and Matsumoto and veterans of the period like Shou Aikawa still carry forward that gonzo spirit in different ways.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Mad Bull 34 would be anime Training Day if the writers didn't think Sleepy was totally cool and a good cop
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^ Do you mean Yamamoto there?
    I am fairly certain Vash meant Rie Matsumoto (Kyousougiga, etc).
    Ah, yes.
    Nice.
    Anyone who has not watched or read Made in Abyss should do so with a quickness. It is the best show. The only show I think will be this good this year is The Ancient Magus' Bride.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    does it ever get gorey? i'm weak to gore bc i'm a baby
  • edited 2017-09-30 22:05:28
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...yes.

Yes, it does.

This is an anime which actually made me cower and whimper at one point. Or more than one point.

But it's also probably the best thing to come out this year. Period.
  • I think that depends heavily on your preferences

I liked Princess Principal and Re:Creators much better.

MIA is certainly pretty though.
    apparently one piece fans have taken to nicknaming Sanji 'Lanji' because he's been having more 'Ls' than 'Ws' lately

i wasn't aware of this because, since i'm not up to date w/ the manga, i don't seek out fan discussions due to spoilers; i heard about this from my brother.

and it's just weird to me because, it would never have occurred to me to approach the show like that?

(A) because, who's keeping score?  it's a story, not a sporting event.

and (B) because, none of his recent losses demonstrated him to be weaker or less capable than previously indicated, or that he's on a particular losing streak.  he's lost fights because he's gotten into fights w/ superhuman characters he hadn't realistically any hope of beating, or because his opponents have fought dishonourably such as by taking his mentor hostage or by, in one instance, attacking him *through* an unfortunate subordinate
  • edited 2017-10-04 20:39:47
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's like apparently there are people who think Kurapika and Gon were 'handed' victories against Uvogin and Neferpitou, and i don't get how you can come away w/ that impression at all

seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the HxH setting and story, to me

also seriously tone deaf
  • edited 2017-10-04 20:56:50
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

it's like apparently there are people who think Kurapika and Gon were 'handed' victories against Uvogin and Neferpitou, and i don't get how you can come away w/ that impression at all

seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the HxH setting and story, to me

also seriously tone deaf

Hahawhat.

I think that depends heavily on your preferences

I liked Princess Principal and Re:Creators much better.

MIA is certainly pretty though.

Yoooooouuuuuuu never finished it. Or haven't, last I checked. And you should, just as I should tackle the shows you mention.

This being said, the last episode of Made in Abyss isn't simply a seasonal or yearly best for me, it's an all-time best. This show hit me like a cannonball to the chest in the best way possible. It appealed to me on an emotional and aesthetic level which the vast majority of shows simply never do.

I would say that it is the best show period *for me,* if you want me to be more accurate overall, but I think the fact that it is technically exquisite and has excellent acting and characterisation makes it a no-brainer for ardent recommendation to people who do not share my unique sensibilities, and feel like brushing it off as just "pretty" is a bit... insulting.

Or maybe I'm just feeling attacked because I made a heartfelt recommendation of a show which is legitimately a favourite of mine and your response felt a bit like going, "Naaahhhhh, I didn't even finish it, it's lame."
  • I didn't say it was lame and I don't call things pretty lightly. I could call it like, "visually gorgeous" if you want me to use more flowery language, my point is that it's a very good looking show (so is PrinPrin, but you kind of have to like steampunk aesthetics to care).

I dropped it because I was pressed for time and decided I cared about the other two shows I was following more.

For its strengths, in the six(?) episodes I watched I never really cared about MIA's characters, I cared more about like, the worldbuilding. I certainly don't have anything against the show and I'm sorry my being kinda terse gave you that impression, but I think feeling insulted is a biiiiit much. I just liked other shows more.
    Well, now that you have the time, I'd recommend that you complete it. It's not a ludicrous time investment, and I really think it's worth it. The most compelling character-based material, in my honest opinion, is heavily backloaded, whether we're talking about the main or supporting cast, and the worldbuilding and visuals remain strong throughout.

I think I overreacted because I'm in a really bad place emotionally at the moment (particularly today for whatever reason) and, if I may self-analyse a bit here, I think the show's themes resonated particularly strongly with me because of that, and have made it Capital-I Important to me.
  • kill living beings
    the moral of the story is to avoid large holes especially if everyone in them is crackers

from personal experience i can tell you that this is important to learn
  • Well, now that you have the time, I'd recommend that you complete it. It's not a ludicrous time investment, and I really think it's worth it. The most compelling character-based material, in my honest opinion, is heavily backloaded, whether we're talking about the main or supporting cast, and the worldbuilding and visuals remain strong throughout.

I think I overreacted because I'm in a really bad place emotionally at the moment (particularly today for whatever reason) and, if I may self-analyse a bit here, I think the show's themes resonated particularly strongly with me because of that, and have made it Capital-I Important to me.

I probably will finish it at some point. 
    Good. I look forward to your thoughts. I doubt it will have the personal significance for you that it did for me but I hope that you really enjoy it. :3
  • edited 2017-10-05 02:09:37
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    FWIW, I felt pretty similarly about Yuri!!! On ICE, so I fully understand where you’re coming from, Vash.
    YOI is such good shit.
    You like it (more) now?

Nice!
    I liked it much more on the rewatch yeah. I did say I gave it an 8 and thought pretty positively of it. Like, I never disliked it. :p
  • edited 2017-10-05 02:31:17
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I know, hence the “(more)”. :P

Anyway, :D.
  • Anyone know the context/character in this pic?

• edited 2017-10-05 19:03:11

I mean, to be fair, they were often bad in a way that simply doesn't exist any more, I'll give them that; and there are some '90s OVAs which are good in a way in which very little modern anime is to whit. But that's not a value judgement, just a matter of style. And while the charm of period cel animation is largely lost, new hands like Imaishi, Yuasa and Matsumoto and veterans of the period like Shou Aikawa still carry forward that gonzo spirit in different ways.

FWIW, I've recently come to a similar realization about some early games.  Metroid II: Return of Samus, for example, is a game that...just would not be made these days.  if it came out nowadays, it'd be as an unheralded indie game that gets a decent but unimpressive review score.  Even if you perfected the graphical presentation, with no other change in gameplay, it's strange format -- an action/exploration game with basically no bosses and a heavy amount of strange ambience -- would relegate it to a place next to Waking Mars, which is also an exploration-heavy indie metroidvania with no bosses, and is relatively overlooked.

There's just strange things that people back in the day were willing to try because the mediums were really new.  Risks that people aren't often willing to take anymore now that people have "experience", so to speak, telling them "what works".
  • kill living beings
    i think i remember hermes and other characters calling kino "he" a few times in the original show too

kind of an enby personage
  • s apaprently at mis

a pa

it is apparentlz a mistake in n the subtitle n at least if jole on the triggerdiscord can be beleieved
  • edited 2017-10-07 12:56:34
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    imageThe top 10 anime on MAL, from 2006-2016. (RIP Paradox Spiral, which uh, just kinda vanished after 2009 for some reason.)
  • kill living beings
    now do top 10 anime on mal that aren't gintama
    2010: 10) Code Geass S1
    2011: 9) Hajime no Ippo, 10) Code Geass S1
    2012: 8) Code Geass S1, 9) Hajime no Ippo, 10) Eva 2.0
    2013: 8) Wolf Children, 9) Spirited Away, 10) Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence
    2014: 7) Wolf Children, 8) Spirited Away, 9) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, 10) Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence
    2015 (the first time a Gintama was pushed out of the top 10): 7) Code Geass S2, 8) Spirited Away, 9) Your Lie in April, 10) Mushishi Zoku Shou S2
    2016: 7) Code Geass S2, 8) Haikyuu!! S2, 9) Spirited Away, 10) Your Lie In April
    And now I'm wondering just what happened in 2013 that made Spirited Away a permanent fixture in Things That Aren't Gintama.