HOLY FISH GUYS CHECK OUT THE ANIMATION ON THIS GAME

Comments

• ah man all my social media outlets have been freaking out over this game
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Rightly so
  • I don't really understand why they made an Alien Soldier game with this art style though.
  • edited 2017-10-04 00:56:42
    Or why the UI is like two pixels tall and five miles away from anywhere I'd ever be looking at.

The game is well animated though of course.
    You only ever need to glance at it
  • kill living beings
    only the second game i've seen with proper animation

incidentally, one of the cats' attacks fucks up its arm where it exits the screen, which is weird
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Man does that look fun as hell.
  • I think this is one of the few times I've seen a demo floor darling that went through a by all accounts pretty hellish revamp process a few years back go on to A) actually be released and B) be pretty well-acclaimed and successful.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    For a while I was wondering why nobody makes games with proper cartoon-style animation

so I guess they did
  • kill living beings
    i hope they recoup their costs
  • I know I’m gonna suck at this once I get it but I sill want to play it

I think the style honestly does a lot to make it feel more welcoming than it would be otherwise
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Apathy said:

i hope they recoup their costs

SteamSpy puts it at roughly 240000 sales RN, so I think they probably have.
  • also, obligatory: Mugman is cuter than Cuphead, Fo Sho

he’s a Very Good Boy and I hope that there’s a way to play as him if you’re going it alone
  • kill living beings
    the other game i've seen is this random wario thing
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-10-04 01:14:56
    Also also one of the game’s animation leads has been a mutual of mine on Tumblr for a couple years now

s’kinda cool, even though we haven’t really interacted
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i want this so bad
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    omg real-time 1930s cartoon madness
  • do be warned if you plan on buying this game it is fucking hard.

very much of the "good games have to make you want to rip your nails out" school
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There's something kind of funny about how it took until the 2010s for video games to accurately reflect the way animated films looked in the 1930s.
  • I mean it's not like the technology wasn't there or w/e it's just that hand-animating sprites for a video game takes a thousand years.

I mean hell even cartoons themselves don't look that fluid anymore. It's just too expensive and time consuming.
  • edited 2017-10-04 21:00:42
    DYRE said:

I don't really understand why they made an Alien Soldier game with this art style though.

because
    Hollywood said:

Man does that look fun as hell.

This game has a specialized style but does it very consistently, like Guacamelee does.
    Bonus points for consistency with an established style.

I wonder if there's a way to turn off the screen artifacts though.
    I also wonder if cartoons back then were actually desaturated in their colors or if it's just the fact that the originals have faded before getting digitally duplicated.
  • I believe that that is actually part of the animation, and thus cannot be disabled, but don't quote me on that.
    Yeah, the film grain is a deliberate stylistic choice that can't be turned off.
  • I know some retro games go to the extent of doing things like including scanlines and even screen bulge as features (You Have To Win The Game comes to mind) but those are usually optional features.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    this is seriously the best looking game i have ever seen

i love the audio, too

it would probably completely and utterly annihilate me though
  • I may or may not receive flack for this but the game doesn't look that "hard", for how I define the term anyway.

Or to put it in a less inflammatory way maybe

your progress increments in Cuphead are very close together. The run-n-gun levels are short and the boss fights aren't particularly long either. So even though both are tricky it's not "hard" in the sense that it punishes you excessively (this is the same thing I mean when I say that Dark Souls isn't that hard).

At least not that I've seen so far.
    i don't normally play games in this genre, and when i do i tend to find them difficult
    "your progress increments in Cuphead are very close together. The run-n-gun levels are short and the boss fights aren't particularly long either."

you can say this about Alien Soldier too and nobody in their right mind thinks that one isn't hard
  • I have never played Alien Soldier.

I dunno I guess I kind of equate difficulty with unfairness would maybe the way others would put it.
  • Dear God I want this game.
    difficulty and unfairness are entirely different things imo
    On the other hand, Cuphead apparently gives you infinite lives whereas Alien Soldier doesn't. I can see that making a major difference.
  • On the other hand, Cuphead apparently gives you infinite lives whereas Alien Soldier doesn't. I can see that making a major difference.

there just aren't lives in Cuphead. If you die you start the stage over.

But like I said the stages are very short.

That's what I meant by progress increments.
    My only problem with Cuphead is that a lot of the bosses do this kind of plate-spinny type thing where there are a lot of semi-independent threats you need to keep track of, and in some of the bosses they can combine in a way that feels unpredictable and unfair to make it so that you kinda have to get hit, especially in the bosses that involve autoscroll platforming.

It's not THAT pernicious in practice but it's there

That said, my favorite version of the plate spinny multiple threats thing is the robot boss, where you can choose which part of the boss you take out first to replace said threat with a different threat, which creates for this cool strategizing thing where you think about which is most threatening to you in its first form vs its second form and prioritize accordingly 

Also this is my favorite boss so far

• BeeBee
    edited 2017-10-05 02:54:53

On the other hand, Cuphead apparently gives you infinite lives whereas Alien Soldier doesn't. I can see that making a major difference.

It does.  I'm used to "hard" meaning either it gives you limited lives and you have to have a relatively clean continuous run of the whole game even if the parts aren't all that bad individually, or it gives you infinite tries and you have to be picture perfect to do individual pieces once.

If this is infinite tries, it honestly looks pretty rudimentary and doesn't even approach half the stuff you fight in Ys or something on Normal (if you want to talk about spinny-plate bosses that will fuck you sideways, go talk to Galbalan, or just about everyone at the end of Origin).  That doesn't make it bad -- it looks amazing and fun, and a lot of truly hard games are also bad -- just not particularly hard.

Also I lol'd at Totally Not Kefka.
  • i have never seen a boss attack using the shine of a diamond.

this is reminding me of parodius.

in a great way.
  • edited 2017-10-06 01:35:29

holy shit

this is like a vintage-1930s version of Parodius

(1 of 2)
    (boss starts at about 2:13)

(2 of 2)
    (boss starts at about 2:20)

• I should point out that the game isn't a shmup, glenn. There's just one shmup level for each world as like a side game kinda thing.
  • edited 2017-10-06 02:10:44
    Yeah I'm aware it's primarily a run-and-gun.  It's just that that boss seemed to bring in elements from those two Parodius bosses.

An even more noticeable resemblance arises in the King Dice dice "maze".

It seems strongly reminiscent of Gunstar Heroes's stage 4 - Black's "Silly Dice Maze" (sorry I don't have a better video).  It's a board game of boss fights, and you can only roll 1, 2, or 3.  And one of the bosses is disembodied eyes and teeth.  And there's a "start over" space right before the final space.

Also, the homing shot is green in both games.
    Gunstar Heroes is badass, but I always felt like the dice maze tended to go on longer than it should

maybe I'm just unlucky
  • i always thought that you're guaranteed to hit the start-over space until i saw someone not hit it
    Dice Maze you say

• Dear God I want this game.

• edited 2017-10-08 01:43:17
    Here's a real high-class diversion!
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I hope to play it soon. >_>