The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2017-05-07 23:30:52
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think a lot of it was the chilling effects that calling out a prominent feminist author as a sexual assaulter could've had on that school of literature right as it was beginning to grow.

I don't think anyone wanted to be the person that caused feminist authors not to get published by blowing the whistle.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    In her own daughter's words, "I thought that my mother's fans would be angry with me for saying anything against someone who had championed women's rights and made so many of them feel differently about themselves and their lives. I didn't want to hurt anyone she had helped, so I just kept my mouth shut.".
  • There was one time in Avalon where one of the spies had been compromised, another was near compromised and was too inexperienced to talk her way out of it, and I, the third spy, was the only one who could still, theoretically, end up on a mission. Merlin had figured me out, but at that point, I had given up and started voting randomly, so the other good guys (who didn't know my usual practices too well) didn't figure me out, and Merlin tried to do a reverse psychology strategy that went over everyone's heads, so we still ended up winning. 
  • In which I was right to get bored of Avalon a hundred pages in and drop the book.

I got confused the first time I read this because I thought you meant avalon the board game
    I actually really like Avalon: The Game. I'm not good at it, but I've managed to fool experienced players because my incompetence actually throws them off. And the correct term is 'tabletop game'.
    Yeah I guess tabletop is fine as a generic term. But like, strictly speaking it does have a board!

Also your experience with Avalon sounds similar to mine, on my very first time playing I was Percival and successfully convinced the evil team I was just a really bad Merlin. Though I haven't played Avalon or Resistance in ages, I think the group I play games with got bored of them right around the time I started coming regularly.
  • Aliroz said:

Also on that list is Zusak's I Am The Messenger, hmm, I thought he liked that one an-oh,wait-a-minute!

Wrong list, this is Yarrun's Excellent Reading Material List.  The Abandonment list is in my other hand.

I Am the Messenger is really good and really quite weird.
    It is the best book. Well, no, The Book Thief is the best book, but it's up there.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I, um, had never heard of the Avalon books or Marion Z. Bradley before now.

I would read Book Thief, but I'd rather not die at this age, my heart can't take it.
  • In which I was right to get bored of Avalon a hundred pages in and drop the book.

I got confused the first time I read this because I thought you meant avalon the board game
    I actually really like Avalon: The Game. I'm not good at it, but I've managed to fool experienced players because my incompetence actually throws them off. And the correct term is 'tabletop game'.
    Yeah I guess tabletop is fine as a generic term. But like, strictly speaking it does have a board!

Also your experience with Avalon sounds similar to mine, on my very first time playing I was Percival and successfully convinced the evil team I was just a really bad Merlin. Though I haven't played Avalon or Resistance in ages, I think the group I play games with got bored of them right around the time I started coming regularly.
    There's usually one game of Avalon/Resistance per week with the group I play with. I've made a name for myself as the chaos player, who'll vote randomly (or in specific patterns, like alternating yes and no), suspect people on odd presumptions and occasionally goofing off on my phone while everyone's debating. It makes it really difficult to be a good guy (since everyone doesn't trust me from the start), but it gives me an edge when I'm a spy since nobody pays enough attention to me to tell when I'm voting randomly or not, so I can approve spy missions and claim that I rolled for it. 

I'm going to miss them once I graduate.
  • Aliroz said:

I, um, had never heard of the Avalon books or Marion Z. Bradley before now.

I would read Book Thief, but I'd rather not die at this age, my heart can't take it.
    Avalon was one of the book club picks in middle school (as was Wicked, now that I think about it). Otherwise, I never would have heard of her either. 

And the Book Thief isn't that sad. Well, 80% of it. The other 20% is, like, super sad, and it's not always clustered in one area. And things happen to books in it that would make it Aliroz-unsafe anyways.
    The name The Book Thief always makes me think of The Thief Lord, for some reason.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I'm also 100% unimpressed by the book version of Wicked, and one day I will be punished for that, but not today.

^ Pfft
    1: I feel if you are writing that sort of book, you should write about a world that bears a resemblance to the source material. The Oz of Wicked is a place that merely has talking animals and witches, which is fairly different from the more extremely magical world of the book and movie.

2: About a third of the way through the book, a character is raped by a tiger, and then it cuts away and nothing ever comes of it. If you write a book where a character is raped by a tiger, and you are not a Burroughs or a Ballard, you are not allowed to just have it be a minor occurrence. Your book is now about being raped by a tiger. This is not a thing you throw in as light seasoning

3: The musical seems fun and decent.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Ah, the Thief Lord.  And it's sequel, by me, The Quest For A Repairman.
    The weird Rifts version of King Arthur, where he's a dude named Arthuu being manipulated by an evil demon named Mryyrlin who is simultaneously his mentor, wife, and the Lady of the Lake in a bizarre Freudian decision they didn't seem to think through well
  • @Odie: I did not get to that part, and I'm glad I didn't. I did get to go see the musical as part of book club, and that was indeed fun (even if Defying Gravity is bloody overrated). 
    Odradek said:

The Crimson King is my wrestling name for when I go back in time and become a prog rock themed wrestler

YOU'RE IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING NOW, BOY! *suplex*
    *shot of me in a crimson robe and crown, with a muscular British man with glasses in clown makeup glaring behind me*

YOU THINK YOU'RE GONNA TAKE MY CROWN AT THIS TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP? ME AND MY NEW YELLOW JESTER, BOFFIN THE CLOWN, ARE GONNA TAKE YOU ON A ROUNDABOUT JOURNEY OF PAIN INTO THE HEART OF THE SUNRISE OF SUFFERING! YOU AREN'T PREPARED FOR

*rips off robe to reveal a ringmaster's outfit*

KARN EVIL
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    people always reference Fragile but not Relayer

it's criminal, I tell you
    I hope Tools didn't actually leave for good
    that would be kinda sad
  • i would feel bad about that

confused also

but mostly bad
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I will also miss Tools if it turns out she's left us.
  • I'm back.

I just needed some time to calm down.
    Keyboard and mouse decided to start dying at the exact same time, so I had to order new ones. Whoop.

Say what you will about Razer's build quality, that Deathadder lasted me through years of abuse hard use.

New mouse is a Mouse of Many Buttons, because 5 button mice are so last decade my hands are small and if Stormblood adds any more keybinds I'm gonna need an entire extra pair otherwise.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

In her own daughter's words, "I thought that my mother's fans would be angry with me for saying anything against someone who had championed women's rights and made so many of them feel differently about themselves and their lives. I didn't want to hurt anyone she had helped, so I just kept my mouth shut.".

Yeah, that's... yeah.

I'm still just kind of shocked that nobody had pointed out how at least some of her views really weren't above-board, even within the radical movements of which she was a part. Perhaps people kept quiet about her husband out of sympathy, not knowing her involvement in his publications, but if they were to have known, by the late '90s this really should have been an issue.
  • ...oh, this is Avalon as in The Mists of. I didn't know there were sequels. Nor did I recall the author's name I guess. I never read that book but I used to know someone who really liked it.
  • kill living beings
    someone keeps spamming boring islam on programming irc channels

"sun is not doing allah is doing / to accept Islam say that i bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worshiop except Allah and Muhammad peace be upon him is his slave and messenger"

it's mystifying. there's no links or anything. maybe they're actually trying to proselytize.

what year is it
  • Knight of Centralia | May those who accept their fate find happiness, may those who defy it find glory.

"sun is not doing allah is doing / to accept Islam say that i bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worshiop except Allah and Muhammad peace be upon him is his slave and messenger"

it's mystifying. there's no links or anything. maybe they're actually trying to proselytize.

A particularly religious markov chain-generator
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

A particularly religious markov chain-generator
    The AIs are finding God.

When the robots wage war against humanity, it will be a Holy War, not a political revolt.
    I saw a boxed copy of Castlevania 64 today... for £25, which feels a little like rubbing salt in someone's wounds and asking them to pay for the privilege.
  • Sometimes I wonder if Castlevania 64 actually happened. 

I mean, I know I tried it during that period when I was emulating all the lame 5th gen games, but that seems like insufficient proof.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

what year is it

what os is it
    Linux Mint.
    I never played Castlevania 64
    It's bad.
    that seems to be its reputation
  • I enjoyed it when I was thirteen, would like to go back to it
  • Aondeug is the only person who agrees with me
    My new keyboard is good, except for one teensy tiny catch: It's a US layout, and for some reason you guys have tiny enter keys. :|
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In case anyone thought I was exaggerating about how much it's been raining lately, here's a photo of a park bench by a river.

• It's nice and sunny here. It hasn't rained in quite a while. actually.
  • So, went to the chiropractor yesterday and the reason why my back started hurting is the spine was out of place in a few points, so he popped everything back into place. I have a followup on Wednesday, so see if everything is still aligned, as he said I might have minor Scoliosis.

It's kinda a miracle that that cable still works.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

So, went to the chiropractor yesterday and the reason why my back started hurting is the spine was out of place in a few points, so he popped everything back into place. I have a followup on Wednesday, so see if everything is still aligned, as he said I might have minor Scoliosis.

I hope you don't, but I'm glad you're getting everything sorted.
  • Carter got his nuggs!

18 million retweets didn't happen, but he broke Ellen's selfie record with almost 3.5 million. Wendy's is gr9.
    Plot twist, the nuggets are actually... BEEF.

It's kinda a miracle that that cable still works.

Why...why not mount a small shelf on the wall?
  • shelving is for cucks
  • real men put things on the floor
  • or let them dangle precipitously from wires, as the case may be