Do you put the TV on when you go to bed? If so, what channel?

I tend to put mine on Adult Swim, but the problem is I'm actually tempted to pay attention...

Comments

• I don't have a TV in my room.

Sometimes I leave the cell phone on an internet radio station but that's uncommon.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have no TV but I do fiddle around with my tablet.
  • edited 2017-04-19 07:03:24
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I struggle to sleep if light so much as cracks in anywhere (never mind similar issues like random sounds), no way in heck I could ever fall asleep to... anything audio-related, really.

Also I don't have a TV in my room.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I used to have mine on The Hub but I stopped after they started rerunning Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
  • edited 2017-04-19 07:03:38
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm actually kind of surprised at these answers.

Everyone in my family has TVs in their bedrooms so I just kind of figured it was "normal", whatever that means.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    My TV isn't connected to the aerial, so. :P
  • edited 2017-04-19 07:20:30
    If I have children they will not have TVs in their rooms. :p

I just don't really like the idea of letting a TV be some kind of background noise to one's life. It's like clogging my mind with information when I already have too many things I need to think about. Besides, it affects my creativity -- I do less creating and in-depth thinking, and more just taking in information, when there is more stuff going on around me. And I'm also concerned that a steady stream of entertainment makes one forget to really take in and appreciate the present and the real world around oneself, while simultaneously also cheapening one's relationship to those works of creative media because one has less time to ponder them and let one's emotions develop.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I first had a TV in my bedroom when I was 5. It was my parents, my grandmother, my uncle, and me all living in the same house, so my parents had an extra black-and-white TV and decided to put it up in my room. My mother let me watch PBS Kids and basically nothing else.

Then we moved and for a few years I didn't have a TV in my bedroom.

The next time I had a TV in my bedroom, I was 11. I mainly used it to relax and watch The Simpsons when I got home from school.
  • Once upon a time, my dad's car broke down and my mom had to drive him to work. I would be awoken in the early morning by my parents and this allowed me to slip into their room and catch morning cartoons. IIRC such shows as Sailor Moon and Robocop were on at that time. I secretly wanted Power Rangers, but oh well.

Then one day, an interesting new show came on at 7:30 AM, something that I'd never heard of before. I think you might have heard of it -- it was called Pokémon.
  • I don't have cable.

I used to turn the Weather Channel on way back when I did though.
  • Honestly the "tv on in the background" thing is something I've never really understood. Why would you have it on if you aren't watching it??

But I realize this makes me very weird.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    My mom does the "TV as background noise" thing and I despise it.
  • Honestly the "tv on in the background" thing is something I've never really understood. Why would you have it on if you aren't watching it??

But I realize this makes me very weird.

My mom does the "TV as background noise" thing and I despise it.

I think my dad likes to do that too but usually doesn't only because my mom doesn't like it.  And I don't either.  I do sometimes use audio to block out my mind from distractions, but never both audio and visuals, because then I can't do anything.

But see, @Tatterhood, you're not alone!
  • I usually put on something on Netflix, usually Forensic Files these days or the occasional documentary.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I would love to watch Netflix or YouTube on my TV, but I don't have anything hooked up to it that lets me get online

I literally just have the coax running straight from the wall to the TV, no cable box or anything
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I never had a TV or computer in my room.  Not sure how I'd use TV without waking everyone up, my family are light sleepers.
  • There are some TV headphones I guess.