80s kids when pop culture panders to 90s kids

Comments

• all of this makes me glad that my childhood memories mostly involve alcohol and humiliation (*laugh track*)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tamlin said:

all of this makes me glad that my childhood memories mostly involve alcohol and humiliation (*laugh track*)

You have no idea of the herculean effort I am making to not repurpose the joke I just made

I am sorry your childhood memories involve those two things though
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    stfu
  • im not even joking despite everything the older i get the more grateful i am for my upbringing, lumps and all
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tamlin said:

im not even joking despite everything the older i get the more grateful i am for my upbringing, lumps and all

why?
  • the general feeling that my neuroses are overall better neuroses than the average ones people get saddled with

also it has given me a good grasp of the subtle and crucial distinction between being a good person and being a person with good intentions
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    that second one makes sense

what neuroses are average neuroses?
    "average neuroses" is a concept I'm skeptical of
    From hysterical misery to ordinary unhappiness
  • "average neuroses" is a concept I'm skeptical of

can you seriously tell me with a straight face that the average person is not deeply neurotic
  • i mean

im sorry if this is Insight Wanky but like

people have entire systems of belief, ways to explain everything that happens in the entire universe, all set up so everything revolves around "this is what happens to you, yes, you, after you die" and beyond that, everything is structured in this exact same way, like, everyone is just obsessed with this end-ness. we are living in an almost entirely unquestioned species-wide death cult.
    Tamlin said:

"average neuroses" is a concept I'm skeptical of

can you seriously tell me with a straight face that the average person is not deeply neurotic
    They are neurotic, but not necessarily in the same way.
    Tamlin said:

i mean

people have entire systems of belief, ways to explain everything that happens in the entire universe, all set up so everything revolves around "this is what happens to you, yes, you, after you die" and beyond that, everything is structured in this exact same way, like, everyone is just obsessed with this end-ness. we are living in an almost entirely unquestioned species-wide death cult.

• you know, thats fair
  • Tamlin said:

i mean

"Unquesruoned" seems a bit unfair.
  • i really feel like people "question" it but then in their questioning it they fall back into it

they try to "live on through their work" or their kids, or whatever
  • edited 2017-04-18 05:00:33
    Well, yeah

And?

You can call that a neurosis but if that's the bar that's being set, virtually anything other than doing nothing is a neurosis.
  • it's not a high bar, it's just a bar people dont think to cross. people extend themselves, it's so messy.
  • kill living beings
    been a while since i saw a good old fashioned derail
  • been a while since i saw a good old fashioned derail

it's less of a derail and more "naney pulls a late night Under Siege 2: Dark Territory"
  • kill living beings
    you're assuming a lot about my knowledge of Under Siege 2: Dark Territory
  • at least, i think that's the movie im thinking of

dumb action flick about a train hijacking?

apparently there are five billion of this exact movie that came out in the 90s and they all look the same
  • basically the point is, cats are pretty great, and if people were more like cats, things would be better
    is Steven Seagal in it?
  • He's in Under Siege 2: Dark Territory but i can't remember if he's in the movie im thinking of (unless the movie im thinking of is in fact Under Siege 2: Dark Territory)
  • see like, it could be that im thinking of Mission: Impossible staring Tom Cruise, because apparently that has a train bit towards the end, but i distinctly remember the train bit being a substantial portion of the film
  • kill living beings
    i mean Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is definitely a dumb action flick about a train hijacking.
  • it has occurred to me that my intense desire for abnegation could itself be neurotic, but i think that the world makes a lot more sense if it's actually the sensible thing to desire and its everyone else who is a nutbar. plus it dovetails well with my other quirks, so the overall congruity overrides any other concerns.
    Tamlin said:

i mean

Let me tell you about Terror Management Theory
  • Terror Management Theory sounds like the title of an overly political hardcore album
  • i guess i should clarify, its not as though im against doing things, that would be goofy

i just feel like they should be done for themselves

live for living, don't live for dying/not dying/whatever your post-dying plans are
  • i love dispensing unsolicited and corny life advice on the internet
  • kill living beings
    i am staunchly opposed to performing activities
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You will never make me do a single thing.
  • Tamlin said:

i mean

this requires some

constanzeplation
  • Tamlin said:

i guess i should clarify, its not as though im against doing things, that would be goofy

i just feel like they should be done for themselves

live for living, don't live for dying/not dying/whatever your post-dying plans are

I mean, what constitutes doing a thing for itself?

I can track down my reasoning for doing anything down to about a million other pressures and motivations. I don't see any purpose to acting as if I've done anything without motivations external to what the action itself would entail, because I haven't.
  • finding whole satisfaction in the doing of the thing, as opposed to the results of the thing
  • im not saying that you should try and act without *motivation*, that would be inherently nonsensical

but there is a completeness, a sensuality that can be found in everything that is done. and when that is found, the action or experience transcends the intent that you explain to others in a way that the original intent, which is transient, cannot even hope to aspire to.

all art is inevitably destroyed, all knowledge is lost, all work is undone, but the immense joy of learning, the exuberance of labor, and the vibrancy of creation is forever etched into the intangible record of the world
  • I guess the difference is that I don't see any singular point where an action ends. There is to me no difference between acting for a result and acting for its own sake.
  • Nietzsche whined extensively about being dumped by some chick in his diary this one time.
  • i have no need for neecher, with his gay science
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Hexartes said:

I guess the difference is that I don't see any singular point where an action ends. There is to me no difference between acting for a result and acting for its own sake.

I think part of what he's saying is that a lot of people do "good" things or shun "bad" things out of the promise of Heaven or the threat of Hell rather than assessing things on the basis of how they affect this world, and this constant pretence of looking to the afterlife winds up being remarkably myopic and self-destructive.
    No offence meant but
    Naney when I posted this thread

• That is a concept I'm aware of, though that's very much not how I read his comment.
  • Hexartes said:

I guess the difference is that I don't see any singular point where an action ends. There is to me no difference between acting for a result and acting for its own sake.

I think part of what he's saying is that a lot of people do "good" things or shun "bad" things out of the promise of Heaven or the threat of Hell rather than assessing things on the basis of how they affect this world, and this constant pretence of looking to the afterlife winds up being remarkably myopic and self-destructive.
    nope
  • Odradek said:

Naney when I posted this thread

now that ive actually watched this clip, it's pretty good
    pregnant
  • sredni pls help me get more attention if u know what I mean
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tamlin said:

Hexartes said:

nope
    Sorry. I project too much. u_u