Kroger owns an absurd number of retail/grocery chains

This particular card doesn't even mention the Harris Teeter chain, which they bought in 2013.

Comments

• Turkey Hill is the local one.

It's...pretty nice actually? I like going there.

More of a convenience store than a grocery store though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In Ohio we have Turkey Hill and...well, Kroger. Since...y'know...Ohio is kinda where Kroger started.

Oh, and Kroger Marketplace. That's a strange one. I went there with Anonus last weekend!
  • Kentucky has Kroger, and North Carolina is the only place with both the main brand and Harris Teeter

We used to shop at Kroger when I first moved to Raleigh because there was one across the street from our apartment building, but then we moved and there aren't many near my house so our allegiance has pretty much been with Aldi and Food Lion since

we love HT when we go, though, they're great for couponing trips and the food and shopping experience is so much better than its competitors that going there makes you feel rich even if you aren't

(it's terrible to work there though according to my best friend)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Huh, I thought Kroger was a good employer - based on zero evidence but still
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Look at all these logos

I am quite amused at the row of convenience store chains with identical logos
    I feel like the Kroger Convenience logos are the last gasp of the late '90s
  • I'm pretty sure Fred Meyer uses the identical one these days too.
  • so being from Elsewhere I have never heard of any of these so my only thought is like

man those are some weird ass names for stores

tom thumb? turkey hill?? what does it all mean???
  • I've actually only ever been in Kroger and King Soopers.
  • I've only been in Kroger and Ralphs, and maybe Turkey Hill once when the folks and I went to Hershey.

I feel like I've seen Fred Meyer a few times in passing here in Lexington tho.
  • edited 2017-01-14 22:30:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've never been into a Turkey Hill store, but I've certainly herd of the tea (which is not owned by Kroger).

As for Kroger itself, I don't think I've been to one since I went to Roanoke with my brothers in 2004. (My parents are, shall we say, "price-conscious" so they mainly shop at Walmart, even when they're out of town.)
    There's a King Soopers five minutes from my house, so I am not free

so being from Elsewhere I have never heard of any of these so my only thought is like

I don't know why but it's kinda weird to me that Kroger doesn't operate in Canada, given that it's this huge grocery store conglomerate

lee4hmz said:

I've never been into a Turkey Hill store, but I've certainly herd of the tea (which is not owned by Kroger).

As for Kroger itself, I don't think I've been to one since I went to Roanoke with my brothers in 2004. (My parents are, shall we say, "price-conscious" so they mainly shop at Walmart, even when they're out of town.)
    Turkey Hill is nice. It's basically a Kroger gas station but with a standalone convenience store, meaning you can even buy certain Kroger-branded products there.

I live in Ohio, so Kroger is pretty much everywhere. I go there a lot, in part because they have the best prices on prescription drugs.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Virginia is weird, because in Not NOVA and Not Tidewater, Kroger and Food Lion (and, I imagine, Food City in the far southwest) are the biggest non-Walmart grocers in the state. Here, though, it's a toss-up, and I'm not sure what Hampton Roads is like these days.
  • edited 2017-01-14 23:27:44

so being from Elsewhere I have never heard of any of these so my only thought is like

I don't know why but it's kinda weird to me that Kroger doesn't operate in Canada, given that it's this huge grocery store conglomerate
    As far as I can tell there are no major grocery chains that operate on both sides of the border, which is kinda weird actually.

Loblaw is basically the Kroger equivalent here in terms of hugeness, and also owns an absurd number of chains, though probably not quite as many.
  • edited 2017-01-14 23:31:10
    Jane said:

...Loblaw?

Yes. Not to be confused with the lawyer from Arrested Development.

They run stores with three different names in Toronto, and two others in Waterloo.
  • I didn't go to Harris Teeter while I was in NoVA.
  • edited 2017-01-15 00:23:32
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I guess the reason why NOVA isn't overrun by Kroger is that, well, they tried once back in the 1950s or 1960s and left promptly. 

For years, Giant and Safeway were just too strong here, and their last major competitor from the old days, Grand Union, closed up shop in the mid-1980s. Then Safeway fell on hard times in the 1980s, Giant got itself in trouble in the 1990s (and got bought out by Ahold, which killed a lot of goodwill from what I hear), and that combined with the ongoing urban sprawl here left an opening for a challenger or two. Shoppers took up a lot of the slack all those closed Safeways left, and then when the Internet made a bunch of people rich, higher-end stuff like Harris Teeter and Wegmans found their way here.
    As for Food Lion, it was always on the periphery (we shopped there a lot in Charlottesville), and it had a presence in Maryland long before it made itself known in the Virginia suburbs. For quite a while, the closest Food Lion to us was a bit of a drive, in Woodbine, but then they bought the old Manassas Lumber yard and built a new one close to the house.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I've been to: Ralphs, Kroger, Harris Teeter

I live right next to a Ralphs so it's my usual
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Kroger is my favorite grocery store. Ed prefers Meijer, but that's mostly because there's one right next to where he works, whereas to go to Kroger after work means driving an extra mile and a half.

Kroger brand food products are generally at a quality level almost equal to name-brand products.  Malwart has advertised that they have the lowest prices on products that can be found at both Malwart and Kroger, but that means name-brand stuff.  Kroger-brand stuff is cheaper than the name-brand stuff at Malwart, and most of Malwart's store-brand products are of noticeably inferior quality.  Meijer-brand stuff varies in quality.
    The Kroger-brand pasta is better than Barilla, the most prominent name brand
  • edited 2017-01-21 21:18:31
    When I buy pasta I tend to buy San Giorgio pasta only because it has a Quick Cook line of pastas that do cook a lot more quickly (mostly because they're thinner).  This cooks as quickly as angel hair does but comes in a bunch of other styles, including rotini, elbows, and penne.  And I find angel hair messier to deal with, as I generally have to break it up and it also often breaks into little pieces, whereas I can just pour the other types straight out of their boxes.

Incidentally, San Giorgio's angel hair I actually don't like as much as Giant's store-brand angel hair.  Giant's angel hair is a little thicker, like somewhere between the thickness of San Giorgio's angel hair (really thin) and regular spaghetti (much thicker).  As a result, the individual strands don't break as easily so the result is less messy to deal with.  (Angel hair already cooks quickly enough so the quick-cook consideration is moot for it.)

As for Barilla...well, I buy them when their farfalle goes on sale.  Farfalle seems to be packaged in 12 ounce boxes rather than 16 ounce boxes, while the others are 16 ounces a box, and they usually sell for the same amount, so as a result I rarely eat farfalle.  But Barilla makes 16 ounce boxes of farfalle, last time I checked.
    Walmart's house-brand stuff is highly variable, from what I've found. Stuff you can't really mess up, like basic ingredients or pasta, is good, and their spaghetti sauce is actually quite nice, though I've found I don't like their version of shell and cheese. 

If we need really good stuff that's not name-brand, we usually end up at Wegmans or Target. Harris Teeter was good, too, but it's expensive and nowadays is too far away to be worthwhile.
    vtk said:

Malwart

(hey, it was either that or a Sonichu reference)
    lol oops
    Antique Olive's "W" upside down looks like the University of Minnesota "M" without the slabs
    I thought so too.
    yeah, it's kind of funny that the upside down W as an M looks reasonable but the upside down M is obviously a bad W
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Turkey Hill ice cream is everywhere out here. It's pretty average. I've seen a few of their locations, and at least one Tom Thumb elsewhere and *maybe* a QuikStop, but the rest are alien to me.
  • I didn't even notice the first time that they have both KwikShop and QuikStop. That's just silly.

I didn't even notice the first time that they have both KwikShop and QuikStop. That's just silly.

As far as I can tell, it's because they started as two separate chains that were bought out by Kroger.
  • I didn't even notice the first time that they have both KwikShop and QuikStop. That's just silly.

As far as I can tell, it's because they started as two separate chains that were bought out by Kroger.
    I kind of assumed as much, but it's still silly.
    Also, while driving around last night, I noticed there's a Kroger gas station on Hamilton Road without an associated store.

Not a Kroger store with a gas station. Not a Turkey Hill convenience store with a gas station. Just a gas station, with no convenience store, bearing the Kroger name.
  • Also, while driving around last night, I noticed there's a Kroger gas station on Hamilton Road without an associated store.

Not a Kroger store with a gas station. Not a Turkey Hill convenience store with a gas station. Just a gas station, with no convenience store, bearing the Kroger name.
    How do you pay?  Credit card only?

Also, while driving around last night, I noticed there's a Kroger gas station on Hamilton Road without an associated store.

How do you pay?  Credit card only?
    I mean they have a booth with a cashier, just like you get at the gas stations at a Kroger store.

But nowhere to actually go in and shop.
    From what I can tell, there seem to be two approaches to building a retail conglomerate:

(a) The Macy's approach, in which you buy up a bunch of smaller regional chains and eliminate their brands in favor of your flagship brand

(b) The Kroger approach, in which you buy up a bunch of smaller regional chains and consolidate their operations but keep their individual brand names

I gotta say I prefer the latter
  • the Roman Empire approach
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The approach of most successful empires, actually, although perhaps it's worth distinguishing between colonial powers and contiguous empires here. I digress.
  • that reminds me

i still haven't figured out a way to make Empire Earth work on my computer