The Manga thread

Comments

• I cast Resurrection.

So hey you should read Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary even tho it looks like and sometimes is a bit trashy.

So what is it? It's a monster girl series, and yes there's an "ecchi" tag on the page and I'm not going to lay here and lie to you and tell you that there's no fanservice at all because there's usually a page or two of it per chapter at least, but it's not really the main draw.

Mostly I recommend it because it's A) really quite funny and B)...surprisingly deep at times? Not even like Fake Deep either, it raises a bunch of questions but offers answers for rather few of them and as of the time of this post many of the dangling plot threads have I think by design not been resolved (Batoto's upload goes up to chapter 26 and then stops. I'm not sure if the scanlation group dropped it, if the manga itself is on hiatus, or what). There's a lot of discussion about puberty and the transition from being a child to being an adult in general. Some of it is metaphored, some of it is not, all of it is handled with a remarkable amount of tact for a manga of this type (there's...one possible exception. I'm not sure how the chapter with the boy who grows boobs will strike everyone but I actually thought it was pretty well executed).

Just to toss out some examples, probably the chapter that hit closest for me (minor spoilers ahead) was the one with a girl who can eat anything, and she just eats and eats, and she ends up going to a donut shop by herself because all of her friends were busy with other things, and she feels lonely and by describing all this I'm super underselling it, but that's kind of my point, it's really good at intangibles and you genuinely feel for the characters even when they're girls who are paper thin, or girls who are 10 feet tall, or girls with really long tongues, and so on.

For me I guess it's a case of going in with low expectations since I'd never heard of this before today and ended up burning my entire morning reading it (I should really like, sleep at some point, it's almost 9). But, I dunno! I was just shocked by how good it is. 

It's not all Deep Conversations of course, there's a lot of sex jokes. It comes with the territory (the territory in this case being "Comedy, Ecchi, Seinen") but they're mostly on the "gets a chuckle out of you" side rather than the "this makes me want to vomit" side.

That it's extremely well-drawn is a great bonus too, that I consider it a bonus rather than a draw speaks to how well the writing came off to me.

So yeah, go read that.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've read that, and like it a lot. It's cute and bloody and fun, and sweet, all at once. I also agree with you on the spoilered stuff.
  • edited 2016-09-03 17:58:01
    I bid farewell to Bleach, Naruto, Nisekoi, Assassination Classroom, and soon to be Toriko, Gintama, and Fairy Tail.

A new Era approaches us.
    Kishimoto is working on Boruto so it feels weird saying farewell to Naruto when it lives on in spirit. I also wouldn't put it past Kubo, or even the person behind Fairy Tail (simply by virtue of being a really long long-runner), to continue them in spirit either.
  • Mashima does FT, actually.

I think Kubo will retire. He's often made comments about his distaste for Shonen Jump.
  • Today I read Chio-chan's Way To School

it is about a girl who goes to school and has madcap adventures along the way. Also she's obsessed with Assassin's Creed. It's never named, but it's very obviously Assassin's Creed.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I picked up the first volume of Cardcaptor Sakura at the local library

If it's anything like the anime I'm sure I'll love it
    Hinamatsuri is adorable, ridiculous, and heartfelt all at the same time. Also Hitomi is the best,  Anzu being a close second tied with Hina herself.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

when will you have the chance to read it?
  • edited 2016-09-07 14:56:07
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Told you.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

when will you have the chance to read it?
    Soon, I hope
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Context!
  • edited 2016-09-08 00:29:41
    Hitomi is a middle school girl that works at a bar (best barista of the establishment no less), and in the prior few chapters went to I think NY to learn English better because she is interested in the everything. That turned out to be a military boot camp, which she took to heart and made herself into a good student for the instructor. This, mind you, happened because the much older barista there was meant to go to that to get into shape, but instead swapped their vacation plans, and ended up lazing about.

Now she can swear like an adorable sailor.
  • That's spoilers!

It's much better if you read it without the context.
    I mean, I see where you're coming from I suppose, but didn't feel like spoilering it since it's just a goofy, bizarre manga that it doesn't matter too much. Did so nonetheless because why not.
    I mean what is the manga? You're both rambling without actually telling me what this comic even is.
  • Well the thing is that the girl up there is a side character and also that takes place deep in her character arc, but the gist of it is that a yakuza one day goes home and a metal cocoon-thing drops out of the sky and inside that cocoon is a powerful telekinetic child named Hina. They end up living together.

It's very, very zany. Occasionally poignant also.
    You asked for context, so I cleanly described what led to that. Was not "rambling."

The manga is about a girl that falls from the sky and ends up living with a yakuza. Hitomi up there is one of her friends. Pretty sweet and silly, even touching.
    You still haven't named it. :/
  • edited 2016-09-08 01:27:08
    Jane said:

Hinamatsuri is pretty ace.
    Ahhhh. OK.
  • kill living beings
    still kinda floored by the timeskip tbh. like just... what a concept
    Thankfully, the more things change, the more they stay the same, am I right.
    I can't believe those gals Miki and Haruka are such good pals.

Also Risa and the nurse are adorable. It's a cute comic would recommend.
  • why does that car look fucking enormous compared to the person inside it
    She is smol and car is beeg?
  • kill living beings
    Because she's like sixteen

She is smol and car is beeg?

Because she's like sixteen

Yes.
    The Bugatti Royale had a seven foot long hood.
    I like this.
  • I don't even have anything to talk about but this thread keeps sinking and that is unacceptable imho
  • while i was with sredni i bought + read the complete Unico manga
  • I started reading Sukeban Deka last week but read a bunch of it last night after downloading it off Batoto with RedSquirrel yesterday morning

and holy shit, what a trip.

it's an 80s shoujo action manga, and I've never read one of those before, and it's just so....unashamedly melodramatic? The villains are never just bad, they're always EVIL, and they never just commit crimes, they commit BIG crimes, where LOTS OF PEOPLE DIE and it's so fucking silly. I honestly can't recommend it enough.

Also? It was apparently a big influence on Kill la Kill. Specifically the series of live action film adaptations (which are also known under the more descriptive and somehow even stupider title Yo Yo Girl Cop).

my only caveat is that ' ' heavy themes ' ' are often used to try to add....I don't know, stakes? To the story, there is for example, mention of rape and student prostitution, which I would completely understand if that would put anyone off, but, again it's all handled so utterly ridiculously that it's a little difficult to take seriously.
    "Unashamedly melodramatic" 80s shoutout action comic? I'm down.
  • edited 2017-02-14 16:36:01
    kill living beings
    what is gainax's deal with taking some old animanga and remaking it but in a different genre and fucking cracked
  • I have finally started using my MyAnimeList for manga I want to read, currently there are just two entries (It's My Life and Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro) but I hope to add more.
    Jane said:

Shoutout

Wow I missed this. Thanks autocorrect.
    Phone autocorrected shounen to shoutout.
  • why were you quoting me ust saying "shounen"