The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I wish I could have eaten the jail salad without dressing but they served it with the stuff already on there
  • I don't even eat salad
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    well, neither do I, actually.
  • Jesus Christ, this tiredness has hit me like a ton of bricks.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    By all logic I should be tired but somehow I'm really, really not.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Because you're excited to be out of there?
    Yep. It's that intense kind of excited I get sometimes, too. The kind that borders on mania if it lasts more than a couple days.
    Books I've read but not seen the film adaptation of:

• Matilda (finally watched that a few weeks back)
    • Bridge to Terabithia
    • Carrie
    • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    • The Maze Runner
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

• Bridge to Terabithia
    • Carrie
    • The Maze Runner
    We still need to get back to those streams at some point.
    I'd be down for that.

Give me a week or two to get my the legal issues around my housing situation worked out and we can start planning for that.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The Bridge to Terabithia movie is solid.

I remember when it came out, nerds assumed it was bad because the trailers made it look unfaithful, and parents thought it was bad because they assumed it was going to be like the trailer, and the fact that it was actually a good adaptation got quietly passed by.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Thankfully, only ones I haven't read or watched are Carrie and TMR, for both. Although I might not make the stream for the latter.
  • edited 2016-08-19 18:30:58

I've mentioned this before but Terabithia is one of the few movies based on a kids book I can think of that very significantly improves on its source material

I'd be down for that.

Give me a week or two to get my the legal issues around my housing situation worked out and we can start planning for that.
    Sweet.
    Odradek said:

The Bridge to Terabithia movie is solid.

I remember when it came out, nerds assumed it was bad because the trailers made it look unfaithful, and parents thought it was bad because they assumed it was going to be like the trailer, and the fact that it was actually a good adaptation got quietly passed by.

I've mentioned this before but Terabithia is one of the few movies based on a kids book I can think of that very significantly improves on its source material

Agreed, I quite enjoyed it. I should maybe pick up and read it ahead of time.
  • that's because Bridge To Terebithia is one of the worst books ever written.
  • kill living beings
    it wasn't good but i attributed that to kidsbookness

honestly. the death. fuck off

anyway, lentil festival turns out to be tomorrow. i will still be going, to retrieve inane's lentils. a band called "Old Southern Moonshine Revival" will be playing, sponsored by Hometown Chevy and Bull Country.
  • Children deserve books that are not trashfires so I am comfortable just calling Bridge To Terebithia a shit book of shit and flame and leaving it at that.
  • what sucks is that IMO it isn't even the writing that kills it so much as Leslie's death in general, it just marks such a tonal switch that it feels like half plot development and half betrayal of authorial trust

I'm pretty sure it was the first book I essentially went "what the fuck" at (without the vulgarity, but the sentiment was there)
  • edited 2016-08-19 19:52:28

the problem with bridge to terabithia is that the death was totally pointless and meant nothing

the whole book felt like it was trying to teach kids HEY KIDS, LIFE SUCKS SOMETIMES AND PEOPLE DIE AND THERE'S NO RESOLUTION HA, which i guess is something you have to come to terms with sooner or later but this book was so lacking in any sort of other enjoyable qualities that reading the book itself felt pointless

whereas the movie actually has a point to the whole thing
  • I think I actually ripped up my copy of Bridge To Terebithia?

It was the first work of fiction I remember being angry at.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-08-19 19:44:59
    fair point

It's been a long time since I read it so it's hard to differentiate between the two for me, y'know

sometimes adaptations of books and their source material can sort of blend together in your head, especially if you haven't seen either in years
    I like how people retqualityed John Landis entirely because his son is a shit
  • i know he worked on the Clue movie but nothing else springs to mind

also googled his son and i dont think i've ever seen this man before? what has he done that is sufficiently heinous to have tarred his fathers name

i know he worked on the Clue movie but nothing else springs to mind

also googled his son and i dont think i've ever seen this man before? what has he done that is sufficiently heinous to have tarred his fathers name

People are really unclear about this

He feels like one of those people A Memo Was Sent Out About
    If you catch my meaning
  • oh yeah i totally get that
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Odradek said:

i dont understand how "Max Landis sucks" became conventional wisdom so quickly, he seems... mostly harmless

• Bridge to Terabithia
    • Carrie
    • The Maze Runner
    Fantastic Mr Fox should also be on that list, thinking about it.
    Odradek said:

To be fair, John Landis literally killed people.

(Not that I don't get your point, mind.)

Odradek said:

To be fair, John Landis literally killed people.

(Not that I don't get your point, mind.)
    So did Matthew Broderick, but that's like, 5th on the list of reasons people hate him
    What other reasons could people possibly have to hate Matthew Broderick?

That's weird.
  • people kill people kex you should know this by now

That's weird.

The same reasons people have to hate Michael Cera, really.
    The WHM episode on Addicted to Love is really good

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “hello my fellow progressives. now, i’m a very left-wing guy. i’m about as lefty as they come. a real blue-triber. heck, i even vote democrat most of the time, and i’m a long-time hillary fan! doesn’t get much more left-wing than that.”

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “at any rate, just speaking as a left-wing progressive here, have any of my fellow blue-tribe lefties noticed that all leftists are evil and irrational and are destroying america with their sinister tendrils of gramscian damage? i sure have.” 

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “just speaking lefty-to-lefty here.”

• Odradek said:

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “hello my fellow progressives. now, i’m a very left-wing guy. i’m about as lefty as they come. a real blue-triber. heck, i even vote democrat most of the time, and i’m a long-time hillary fan! doesn’t get much more left-wing than that.”

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “at any rate, just speaking as a left-wing progressive here, have any of my fellow blue-tribe lefties noticed that all leftists are evil and irrational and are destroying america with their sinister tendrils of gramscian damage? i sure have.” 

[lesswrong “rationalist” voice]: “just speaking lefty-to-lefty here.”

i sure s fuck have, my broski
    Fuckin' Stalins memes
    Scott Alexander is basically the liberal version of those Conservative red state people you meet who don't appear to actually believe in any of the beliefs of the Republican party, and just kinda have that designation as a cultural thing.
    Odradek said:

That's weird.

People still hate Michael Cera? 

His chance to be a star pretty much blew itself out years ago.

Odradek said:

That's weird.

People still hate Michael Cera? 

His chance to be a star pretty much blew itself out years ago.
    Well, they did
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think at this point he's just another actor, as it were.
    Yah
  • kill living beings
    i know band jokes are boring but i seriously want to listen to Sinister Tentacles of Gramscian Damage
    You take that first part back, you.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That sounds like math-rock or older tech-death to me.
  • edited 2016-08-19 21:49:43

Sinister Tentacles of Gramscian Damage is a deathcore name, on account of being a full sentence. as a song title it is definitely techdeath though

Gramscian Damage is mathcore with an overtly political bent

Sinister Tentacles is some mediocre "horror rock" band that has a really half-hearted Bandcamp page with one demo
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    If someone is prohibited from playing the tuba, does that make them a brass banned player?