General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2016-07-14 20:35:53
    Bee said:

Kexruct said:

they're as cheap as they are as a tactic to get people to buy a million games they don't need

And how many of those 30 games would you actually bother playing for than a few minutes?
    Final Fantasy, Gradius, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, SMB2, Zelda 1, Zelda 2, probably.

Some of these can be beaten in a few minutes, like Donkey Kong.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ... Is it okay that I am pretty tempted to buy that?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Well yeah.
  • edited 2016-07-14 21:05:53
    I realized after a while that the amount of my desire to play a specific game is not necessarily the same as the amount of my desire to play any other specific game.

Therefore, purchase decisions should not be made based on the number of games acquired, or even the number of games I want to play acquired.
  • So hey, Hearthstone has added the "recruit a friend" feature, and you get a reward if you introduce somebody to the game and they play for a while.

If anybody was thinking of giving it a try and feels like helping me out a bit, let me know and I can send you the link so that Blizzard will give me something as payment for telling you how much fun Hearthstone is and how you should play it.

(Oh yeah, that reminds me. Hearthstone is a lot of fun and you should play it. :p )

Leaving blatant shill mode now: there is actually one thing about the game which I was wondering about and which might cause new players to hesitate before installing it, so maybe somebody here can let me know why Blizzard does this. If you install the game (at least on your phone, not sure if this is the case with the PC version), then it asks for access to all your stuff: media, photos, etc.

When I first saw that, i was like "Uh, why do you guys need that information? Look, I've heard great things about this game and fine, I'll install the thing, but ideally I'd kind of like to have as much privacy as possible."
  • edited 2016-07-14 23:42:07
    I don't know about iOS, but Android used to really suck when it came to permissions for apps. Like if it wants access to any of your photos under any circumstances, it had to ask permission at install time to access all your photos at all times. More recent versions of Android have improved this a lot, though.
  • Both of these are incredible and if you haven't played them you should, by the way. Beautiful and unique art, compelling stories, great gameplay, fantastic music...they've got it all, really.
  • Kilgore I will fight u for potential recruits because I main Shaman this season
  • I know nothing about Hearthstone/Warcraft in general but something about the design of the Morlocks appeals to my interests

Probably the frog DNA
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    At this point you probably won't find somebody who hasn't played and is interesting in playing

Pretty much everyone is already decided on hearthstone one way or the other
  • Murloc, actually.

But yes they are great.

Mrgllrlglgrlgrlglrgl.
  • Damn. I was close.

Bet it was probably the fact that I read the X-Men character page on TVT last night. Morlocks, Murlocs, potatoes and tomatoes...
  • I don't know about iOS, but Android used to really suck when it came to permissions for apps. Like if it wants access to any of your photos under any circumstances, it had to ask permission at install time to access all your photos at all times. More recent versions of Android have improved this a lot, though.

That could be it, since I've got an Android. I installed the game quite a while ago, so maybe anybody I invite who's also using one won't get that request.

Jane said:

Kilgore I will fight u for potential recruits because I main Shaman this season

Feel free to add me on battle.net if you'd like a match sometime. I went with the extremely original name of "Aguy". (Not sure if you need the number that goes with it to add people, but if so then it's Aguy#11986)

Tre said:

I know nothing about Hearthstone/Warcraft in general but something about the design of the Morlocks appeals to my interests

Probably the frog DNA

You don't really need to know the story to enjoy the game, although if you do then it'll help you get references that might otherwise fly over your head.

(For example: one of the heroes you can play as is Garrosh Hellscream. In the story, Garrosh went from being not so bad, to being a belligerent dickhead, to doing a full face-heel turn finally after becoming Warchief, i.e. leader of the Horde. He got defeated, imprisoned, managed to escape and cause more trouble, and finally was killed by the good guys. But anyway, one of the cards you can play is a guy named Vol'jin, and Vol'jin replaced Garrosh as Warchief. So when Vol'jin is played against Garrosh, Vol'jin will taunt him by saying "Who be da Warchief now? Heh, heh, heh.")

As for Murlocs and Morlocks: somebody who looked like a frog or a fish wouldn't have been out of place in the Morlocks of the Marvel Universe, since they were all mutants who looked abnormal and lived underground, away from people who'd freak out at their appearance. There were also two frog-men in X-Men stories, but those were Amphibius of the Savage Land Mutates and one of Count Nefaria's henchmen. Anyway, I'll put a cap on the comic book nerdery here...

Oh, by the way, that reward you can get for recruiting people? You get to play as a Murloc Shaman. :D

• edited 2016-07-15 00:54:15
    By the way, speaking of Vol'jin: although my WoW days are behind me, I do still pay attention to what's going on with the lore, which is how I know all that stuff about Garrosh.

Having read spoilers for the upcoming expansion and seeing what happens with Vol'jin
    Spoiler:
    I'm not happy that he's getting killed off. I also don't know what the hell he was thinking by making Sylvanas of all people his replacement. Okay, fine, she's got experience whereas Baine is still fairly new to the job, but Lor'themar would probably be a lot more trustworthy than Sylvanas and just as competent. Or if not him, then Saurfang, or Eitrigg.

Spoiler:
    I mean, I think Jaina's overreacting by hating the entire Horde for stuff that Garrosh did, but giving Sylvanas the top position will probably do nothing to convince her that she may be wrong.

Spoiler:
    On the bright side, for me anyway since I'm a fan of this character, Illidan will be coming back and he might get a heel-face turn. I really hope so, since I hated the way his character was derailed in Burning Crusade all those years ago.
  • Quick question regarding Undertale:

Is it possible to get the best ending on one's first playthrough of a clean install?
    First time playing it, at all? No. Neutral, then Pacifist.
  • Yes, though by nature of how the game is programmed you do have to get the neutral ending first and then go back in and finish it for real.
  • Yes. provided you meet the requirements for the best ending, you get the neutral ending, then you are given the opportunity to get the best ending without doing everything over.
    Oops, I forgot about the requirements part. >_>;
  • Technically no but it's possible to get the neutral ending and then skip most of what you have to do to get the best ending, which makes it feel like one playthrough.
  • edited 2016-07-15 02:39:28
    Crystal said:

Oops, I forgot about the requirements part. >_>;

You don't have to meet all the requirements before the first ending you get. As long as you don't kill anyone, you can reload and complete the other requirements and then go get the true ending. The game will even give you a hint about what you haven't done if anything.

In any case, you definitely don't need to replay the entire game, as long as you play pacifist.
  • Quick question regarding Undertale:

Is it possible to get the best ending on one's first playthrough of a clean install?

Technically it's like 1 and a quarter playthroughs.
  • edited 2016-07-15 20:08:54
    Thanks.  That's what I thought.
  • Hyrule Warriors: the Material Master potion is really, REALLY good on the Twilight map.  It very nearly pays for its own silver ingredients, in addition to all the gold shit from bosses.
  • I almost always forget to use Potions, but there's really no reason not to use, say, Rupee Festival constantly. And Guard Breaker is kind of a game breaker.

Also, I got Xenoblade Chronicles on VC. Kind of wish I'd played it when it came out because then I wouldn't have been spoiled by HD graphics, but I'm still enjoying it a lot. I like the team banter, everyone basically going around patting each other on the back after a fight is a nice touch. And the high-concept of the world being two dead gods just owns. (I haven't even gotten past the first part of the first dungeon yet because I spent so much time running around town talking to everyone...and then I keep getting killed trying to take on that one boss monster that pops up right away, even after I lure away all its buddies. Maybe I'm not supposed to take it on yet? Or maybe I just need to git gud.)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-17 03:48:17
    Honestly I only remembered the potion because Twilight drops double materials, and this is probably the only place other than grinding Rewards maps that would be worth using it.  And because when I decided to use it, I looked through my inventory and saw like 60-80 of the usual bosses' silver drops and almost no golds.  I had enough of Midna's fucking hair to make my own Midna.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-17 04:29:07
    Oh my God, Ruto + Material potion on a splitting-enemies mission is the best fucking thing.  I've had maybe two Sheik Turbans drop all game, and suddenly I just netted six in under a minute.  Link totally should've married her, they would've had the most badass fish babies stealing everyone's shit.

Also /r/HyruleWarriors is holding a contest for Focus Spirit and fairy nuke, for those who want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes on those.
  • I kinda want to get the new DLC just for Linkle kicking everyone to death, but the fact that there's no new Adventure Maps means I'll probably give it a miss.

Granted, I haven't 100% completioned all the maps but I did just beat Ganon on the Twilight map the other day, so the game may finally have been out for long enough that someone out there might want more content.
  • Medli's patch came out with a Master Wind Waker map, and the Marin DLC comes with a Koholint map.
    HarshlyDorkable.
  • Solatorobo thoughts: it's cute and I'm having fun but it's kinda on the easy side?
    Googles

Huh! Surprisingly cute style. I could see myself going for that, even though I usually wouldn't.
  • edited 2016-07-18 02:55:48
    I remember Chagen liking it.  Seems pretty cute.

(No, this is not a post flaming Chagen.)
  • I have pokemon super mystery dungeon now!
  • I woke up from my nap. I want food and to sleep some more.
  • I'm a fennekin!!

I have starting moves with RANGE, feels good!!!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-18 21:23:23
    I made my partner a Fennekin.  She was pretty much purely range -- which is fortunate, because AI allies still almost never close to melee.
  • my partner is a mudkip
  • also am having fun with the game, it feels more challenging than previous titles?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-19 01:18:54
    Challenging in a different way.  Items are much more readily available, and you're expected to use them more liberally.  Like, confuse wands are super, super-easy to find, and let's just say a multi-use ranged confuse that stacks in your inventory is pretty damn good.  Stat buffs are permanent for the floor, so stuff like Swords Dance, Work Up, or Nasty Plot is amazing.  Also, Oran Berries increase your max HP for the rest of the dungeon, so expect to heal a couple times on the way to a boss if you expect them to hit hard.

XP gain is very slow, and your moveset is unlocked earlier.  Expect to finish the game around level 30-ish.

Also wait till you get far enough to pick up some emera.  There is some insanely good emera.
  • Anybody here play Dota 2?

Techies has gone from being annoying because the team that picked him was extremely difficult to beat to being annoying because now whichever team picks him (or them, I should say) is almost guaranteed to be beaten. Just my luck that earlier today I was part of a team where somebody picked them while trying to complete my daily challenge for the third or fourth time.
  • I value my faith in the human race so no I do not play DOTA.
  • In all seriousness I feel like DOTA is one of those games you absolutely can't play casually. Like you're either putting 8 hours a day of practice in it in the hopes of getting drafted by a pro team or you don't play at all.
  • see also: most MOBAs with sizable player populations
  • Casual play is all right in my experience; you'll run into the occasional dick, but most people won't be so bad.

However, right now the International is going on, and to sum it up in a nutshell: until the event ends, then people will be trying to win games in order to get free cosmetics and shit. Meaning that there's more at stake than usual in even just casual games, and people might be quicker to lose their temper than usual.
  • In general, the standard RTS-derived MOBA feels weird to me. I can see the progression from Warcraft 3 to DOTA as a mod, but the MOBA genre's RTS control scheme and small scale is a combination that just does not make sense to me. 

In general, the standard RTS-derived MOBA feels weird to me. I can see the progression from Warcraft 3 to DOTA as a mod, but the MOBA genre's RTS control scheme and small scale is a combination that just does not make sense to me. 

Heeey, same.
  • On the other hand, the fact that I've played Age of Empires before means that RTS-derived MOBAs feel accessible to me in a way that some other genres aren't.

...that said, I still haven't actually picked up any MOBAs...
  • edited 2016-07-19 05:04:57
    Even though a mouse and keyboard isn't the utter ideal setup for, say, a character action game, there are still simple control schemes that can generate lots of gameplay depth.

WASD to move, space to evade, left mouse to attack, right mouse to block. You can build out from there; contextual attacks, such as while evading, while blocking, or basing movesets on the direction of movement; contextual defenses, such as ideal execution of blocks, or blocking/evasion frames during attacks; or essentially, mechanics that will be triggered by the use of a simple control scheme.

Special abilities, in this context, probably benefit less from mana or timers, and more from a build-up mechanic (probably via hitting things, that seems sensible). If, say, a clean hit is worth more than a blocked hit is worth more than an evaded hit (nothing), it sets up a subgame of defenses. Evasion then denies your opponents build-up towards their special abilities, whereas blocking diminishes it, and trying to tank through hits simply provides it. That's a simple way to do it, but already suggests character types. 
  • Casual play is all right in my experience; you'll run into the occasional dick, but most people won't be so bad.

However, right now the International is going on, and to sum it up in a nutshell: until the event ends, then people will be trying to win games in order to get free cosmetics and shit. Meaning that there's more at stake than usual in even just casual games, and people might be quicker to lose their temper than usual.
    the one time I played a pub game of DOTA (and mind you this was in the off season), I was called a "flaming faggot" and that was about enough to put me off the game forever.

I'm sure it's fine for a certain kind of person but not me even if I do like the actual mechanics themselves. If I could get a team together that I knew would not be fucking furious anytime someone did something wrong it might be a different story.