General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Sometimes I actually kinda want to try out some more FPS games.

But my fingers disagree with that, making me bad and look like a dork.

• edited 2016-05-22 17:28:25
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

That, surprisingly, didn't take long at all! So much for "rare."
    I think this is maybe the third, probably second, game I've ever gotten full achievements for.
  • edited 2016-05-23 03:37:38
    Crystal said:

Sometimes I actually kinda want to try out some more FPS games.

But my fingers disagree with that, making me bad and look like a dork.

wait, i don't get it, what's the point of quoting but then editing what i said, in this case?

i can't figure out whether this is mocking me, or whether this is your using my quote as a springboard to remark about your own experience/perspective, because it looks like you're mocking me but in a way that doesn't make sense at all
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's pretty obviously the latter?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yeah, I think the birb is just adapting your quote to fit her own situation
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Icon's mocking is friendly and good-natured around 102% of the time

being called a dork by her is basically praise tbh
  • It's pretty obviously the latter?

the way it's written is rather misleading, because this sort of quote editing is normally accompanied by explanatory text (even if it's just "FTFY") unless it's used to mock

oh whatever
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    'ftfy' would be more mocking, i'd think

ime yesquoting but adapting for one's own purposes is pretty common, but i can see how that mightn't be obvious if it's not something you're accustomed to seeing
    I apologize for the confusion, but yes, it is precisely as Imicow described it.
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:44:41
    Tachyon said:

'ftfy' would be more mocking, i'd think

ime yesquoting but adapting for one's own purposes is pretty common, but i can see how that mightn't be obvious if it's not something you're accustomed to seeing

well it's just that quoting someone implies that that person said those things, and so changing the words usually implies puting those words in that person's mouth

you're right that FTFY is sometimes used to mock, but in that case the mocking depends on putting words in their mouths, because the whole point is to "reveal" what they've said

it just kinda made me feel "whoa wtf" to see someone say that i was complaining my fingers weren't cooperative with me playing an FPS, which is certainly _not_ what i meant to say

come to think of it the difference might be in this case there's my name stuck to it; it's not just any quote block but quote block attributed to me specifically

since i know that there are forums that do non-attributed quoteblocks

and i am pretty sure i wouldn't have reacted the same way had it been like that

so yeah whatever
    heh, actually that reminds me, a few times when someone's done that to me i've gone 'i didn't say that!'

like i know what they mean but it says you said it, it's just kinda funny
  • edited 2016-05-23 18:35:24
    imageimage
    Gravity Ghost is a gorgeous little puzzler. The gameplay has you playing as a ghostly girl collecting flowers and stars, former to make your hair longer, latter to proceed onward, traversing through space-as-purgatory. The voice acting does the job well, and Ben Prunty's music is wonderful as ever and a fantastic complement to eerie but chill art. Also you have this adorable little cape to fly around in that is super cute. I really like this game already.
  • Voice acting by Logan Cunningham
    well damn.

Gonna have to keep an eye out for when this shows up in a humble bundle or something.
    Oh I forgot to mention that, but yes. In between that, the art style, and Prunty's music I'm pretty engaged over here.
  • http://trespeak.xyz/post/144819504883/hey-yall
    Tre said:

I want to get into Pokémon but I’ve never tried any of the games. I figure it’s high time I changed that, but I’m wondering: which should I start with?

I can’t do X&Y/ the Ruby and Sapphire remakes because I’m using emulators and there aren’t any good 3DS ones out there yet, but any of the GBA/DS titles are fair game. So any thoughts?

• edited 2016-05-23 21:38:14
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Out of the GBA/DS games, either Emerald, Platinum, or Heart Gold/Soul Silver (remakes of Gen II) are the most popular. I'm biased towards Emerald because I adore Hoenn, but Platinum and HGSS have more Pokémon in, and are the first games with the Physical/Special split, which changes up combat a bit. Fire Red and Leaf Green are good, but honestly, Kanto is kinda a boring region when all is said and done.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-23 21:40:16
    I'd say HGSS.  GSC was probably the best generation to begin with, and the remake is surprisingly good.

Gen 3 just annoyed me.  The Pokemon started getting too weird, and there was way too much surfing.
  • edited 2016-05-23 21:44:15
    I personally recommend Pokemon Crystal, and Emerald, though you can't go wrong with anything from DPPt. Crystal may not be as advanced, but it's a huge step up from the first generation. Similarly, RSE may not change so so much from GSC, but Hoenn is where I started and I think it's a very good place to begin, though I'm admittedly biased in that RSE/ORAS are just some of my favorites in general. I think you would really like the peaceful, quiet tone of RSE. HGSS are GSC updated a la Fire Red/Leaf Green.

Ultimately I say HGSSS or Emerald for a solid introduction. Really, pick up and play any of them is somewhat my take, even if I'm recommending those few. And because I really appreciate the older titles, I personally suggest starting with Crystal, then going to Hoenn or HGSS. Hoenn if you want the starting-ish point a lot of people ended up getting, HGSS if you want to fast-forward to all of the changes that would later be constant in later titles, like the Physical/Special split Fossil mentioned.

I don't recommend FRLG though. It's my least favorite of all the regions, and I'm not the only one that just finds it boring. If you want to experience a remake of The Original it does the job well, but it just didn't leave an impression on me.
  • Honestly they're all good, especially if they're your entry point.  RSE is usually the one that starts arguments though because the tropical setting either really clicks with you or it really doesn't -- they push it too hard for there to be much in between.
  • Sapphire is probably the Pokemon game I've played the most and consequently it's one of my favorites.

I think the Gulpin family are underrated as Pokemon.
    I'm gonna be honest here and say though that Crystal is kinda an iffy starting point in that whilst it's a good game, it does suffer from the fact that, well, it was a GBC RPG, with all the weirdness that goes along with that.
  • edited 2016-05-23 21:48:16
    Indeed. Which is why I say start with Crystal, since I am the best I think it's pretty good on a lot of fronts, and then go with your gut from there.

^ That's pretty fair, yeah, though I don't think that'd be too much of an issue for Tre. If it is then I'm saying HGSS and gut from there, for the reasons that Bee stated about Hoenn... unless you can dig that, in which case play it I love it!
  • GTA V is £34.99 on the PSN. I've been thinking about getting it for my PS4, but I'm not sure...
  • anyone here play Tree of Savior
  • You should also consider Pokemon Zeta/Omicron, fan-games with the phys/spe split.
  • Medli is out in Hyrule Warriors.  She's exactly as adorable as one would expect.
    I'm playing Doom again
  • Someone

Sell me on continuing with Xenoblade Chronicles X.

@fossilmaiden ?
  • I'm playing Doom again

guess you're in a bit of a...

or, this being Imi
    /extremely sloppy edit
    That is great!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-29 01:21:51
    Playing through Xenoblade again.  It's always nice to have fond memories of a game, wonder on a lark if it's really as good as you remember, then play it again and it definitely is.  And still one of my favorite soundtracks ever.
  • edited 2016-05-29 02:10:14
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Bee said:

Medli is out in Hyrule Warriors.  She's exactly as adorable as one would expect.

I wasn't sure if she'd come out recently or if I just hadn't played for a really long time, but either way it was a great surprise to turn on the game and be rewarded with something I had no idea had come out. 

I'm not that good with her yet but it looks like she might be the best juggler in the entire game.
  • gimme ur friend codes so i can friend safari
  • Jane said:

gimme ur friend codes so i can friend safari

3DS friend codes that is
  • I decided to watch the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games videos that have been posted so far to see what all of the fuss was about. Overall, I thought they made some really great points. I listened to a couple of them like podcasts because I couldn't handle watching some of the more graphic stuff, though there's definitely a lot of that stuff in games (for whatever reason), so I can't really blame Sarkeesian for including it.

I was a bit surprised how frequently Sarkeesian gives the disclaimer that it's possible to enjoy a game and still realize it has problematic aspects given the extreme negative reaction her videos have received in some circles, but I guess it's not that unusual for a measured criticism to be met with an intense backlash, especially when that criticism is of games.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-30 06:22:35
    Never underestimate a person's ability to rage over even the most conciliatory criticism.

Sarkeesian makes a couple points every once in a while that I take issue with.  She sometimes assumes malice when likely inappropriate, but given the industry I can't really blame her for that.  For the most part she's spot on.

And I can say from my time working at a developer that programmers are aware of these issues, these discussions do happen among us, and generally speaking we want to fix them, but then publishers order us to backslide because focus groups and we can't exactly refuse if we like getting paid.  Pretty much the entirety of game development is exactly as much of a boys' club as one would think -- programming as a whole, for that matter -- but the upper echelons can get pretty shameless about perpetuating it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've heard that startup culture is bad, too; they essentially want all their employees to be drunk fratboys.
  • Anita's videos are pretty okay, but perhaps even too pedestrian in some respects. She presents mostly true information in a reasonable and supported manner, but I think it would be a lot more interesting for her videos to contain a little less explanation of rote information and a bit more discussion of her points. Given the aggression generated around the very idea of this series existing, though, I can't blame her for playing it safe.  
  • edited 2016-05-31 12:34:06
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Anita's videos are pretty okay, but perhaps even too pedestrian in some respects. She presents mostly true information in a reasonable and supported manner, but I think it would be a lot more interesting for her videos to contain a little less explanation of rote information and a bit more discussion of her points. Given the aggression generated around the very idea of this series existing, though, I can't blame her for playing it safe.  

i can agree with this.

my experience watching them was similar to LW's: mainly surprise at the lengths she went to in order to be conciliatory, way beyond what i would have thought necessary, and that she still got branded an extremist for it
    Preregistration for the Four Job Fiesta has begun, with a new ruleset available.
    Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you get your Water Job. Water until Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used.

Swords and shields are overrated.
  • Someone's sequence breaking.

You shouldn't have done that.
    You know, a majority of the time jumpscares are stupid garbage, but dang if I'm not susceptible to flinching nonetheless.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-06-01 00:23:25

Tachyon said:

Anita's videos are pretty okay, but perhaps even too pedestrian in some respects. She presents mostly true information in a reasonable and supported manner, but I think it would be a lot more interesting for her videos to contain a little less explanation of rote information and a bit more discussion of her points. Given the aggression generated around the very idea of this series existing, though, I can't blame her for playing it safe.  

i can agree with this.

my experience watching them was similar to LW's: mainly surprise at the lengths she went to in order to be conciliatory, way beyond what i would have thought necessary, and that she still got branded an extremist for it
    I don't really agree with the criticism that Sarkeesian's videos are too pedestrian or basic, honestly. Maybe it's just because I'm dense, but I probably get more out of her approach of condensing a bunch of theory into bite sized chunks with short illustrative examples than I would from a more in-depth discussion of feminist theory and games (not that the two types of criticism can't co-exist, of course). I also think her approach makes a lot of sense if you're trying to raise awareness among the general public about depictions of women in games, which, if I remember right, is much more of her focus in the videos than engaging with experts in feminist theory.

The videos are fairly tame as far as feminist criticism goes though (in my experience anyway), I'll give you that.
    Bee said:

Never underestimate a person's ability to rage over even the most conciliatory criticism.

Sarkeesian makes a couple points every once in a while that I take issue with.  She sometimes assumes malice when likely inappropriate, but given the industry I can't really blame her for that.  For the most part she's spot on.

And I can say from my time working at a developer that programmers are aware of these issues, these discussions do happen among us, and generally speaking we want to fix them, but then publishers order us to backslide because focus groups and we can't exactly refuse if we like getting paid.  Pretty much the entirety of game development is exactly as much of a boys' club as one would think -- programming as a whole, for that matter -- but the upper echelons can get pretty shameless about perpetuating it.
    That last point you made makes a lot of sense and helps to explain why almost all of the good depictions of female characters that Sarkeesian highlights in the videos are from indie games that don't face that kind of publisher pressure.
    LW said:

I also think her approach makes a lot of sense if you're trying to raise awareness among the general public about depictions of women in games, which, if I remember right, is much more of her focus in the videos than engaging with experts in feminist theory.

That's fair.
  • re water levels in Mario games

are you kidding me?  they're annoying?

/me plays the music of Relaxing, Relaxing Docks