words that have a negative meaning but are used positively for no real reason

2»

Comments

• edited 2016-05-23 04:42:12
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Heh.
    Tachyon said:

Crystal said:

I'm personally sympathetic to such zeroing in, even if I understand your reasoning. Just as a default, and when I remember how, for example, I've actively put off Home Movies because it's unpleasant for me to look at. And if those one or two issues stay singularly focused, then I'm more inclined to give, for lack of a better term (I'm kind of tired), BOFD.

(Though it's not the zeroing in i'd object to, per se, only that 'it sucks' reads to me like a pronouncement on overall quality which i don't feel you're in a position to make if you haven't actually watched it.)
    Yeah that's fair, I think.
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:44:20
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    chaotic, dramatic shouting matches are not fun to be involved in, imo

if i am invested enough to participate, doing so is exhausting, embarrassing and time-consuming, and puts me in a bad mood that can linger for some time afterwards and potentially wreck my day or sour my feelings towards a person or website for a time

so i guess with that in mind i'd be better off facepalming and moving on; that's how you 'win', because any more prolonged engagement is obviously a loss

at least when i care about the thing in question; that's the thing with dismissing something from a position of ignorance, the deck is stacked in your favour, as you're unlikely to be as invested or to take the matter as seriously as whoever feels strongly enough to argue back
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:50:25
    well i guess there's the difference between being invested in the argument and treating it as another sideshow

like for example

"utena sucks"
    "well your opinion is bad and you should feel bad"
    "well your face is ugly LOLOLOLOL"
    "YOUR MOTHER WAS A HAMSTER etc."
    "i'm going to tie you up to a chair and make you watch it 24/7"
    "MAKE ME"
    etc.

vs.

"utena sucks"
    "[long, detailed post about why utena is a praiseworthy show]"
    "...[does not know how to respond because that's not what this person was expecting]"
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    worm fish fish
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:50:49
    Responds with "I will never praise Utena."

There's more than two options. :T
  • now honestly the best response to "utena sucks" would actually be "[long, detailed post about why utena is a praiseworthy show and also skillfully insulting the person who said "utena sucks" in the first place]"

so TL;DR Sredni Vashtar wins this thread
  • Calica said:

worm fish fish

ARGH! MY FOREVER NEMESIS
  • edited 2016-05-23 04:52:45
    Can I say Nanoha sucks at least and that I have no interest in watching it? :P
  • Calica said:

worm fish fish

ARGH! MY FOREVER NEMESIS
    y'know i always thought that was rather distinctive

the way Star Fox 64 used "forever" as an adjective in "The Forever Train"
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

now honestly the best response to "utena sucks" would actually be "[long, detailed post about why utena is a praiseworthy show and also skillfully insulting the person who said "utena sucks" in the first place]"

ah, the bants were never my strong suit

Calica said:

worm fish fish

ARGH! MY FOREVER NEMESIS

it's a slightly archaic/poetic form, i think
  • TitleName said:

Can I say Nanoha sucks at least and that I have no interest in watching it? :P

you can, but so can i continue regarding captain takamachi as a role model (that i am sadly nothing like)
  • Tachyon said:

Calica said:

worm fish fish

ARGH! MY FOREVER NEMESIS

it's a slightly archaic/poetic form, i think
    i like it
  • okay it's past 1 am and i need to be up in less than 6 hours and i should probably go to sleep now so that i avoid further increasing the possibility that i get infected with zika virus and get eaten by an alligator
  • I knew Aliroz would betray you eventually. Get him before he gets you. :V
    a common experience for me:

"x sucks"
    "[sincere expression of appreciation of x, with reasons given]"
    "[blatant joke post reiterating that x sucks]"
    ". . . [does not know how to respond but feels taken aback and slightly hurt at not being seriously engaged with]"
  • Tachyon said:

a common experience for me:

"x sucks"
    "[sincere expression of appreciation of x, with reasons given]"
    "[blatant joke post reiterating that x sucks]"
    ". . . [does not know how to respond but feels taken aback and slightly hurt at not being seriously engaged with]"

i think i've learned not to go near threads like that if they're flaming something i truly love
    so you . . . walk away? :p
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Who's got time to watch a flame, when there's cool glenn errands to walk to?
    but that is a lesson i have repeatedly failed to learn, myself
  • Tachyon said:

now honestly the best response to "utena sucks" would actually be "[long, detailed post about why utena is a praiseworthy show and also skillfully insulting the person who said "utena sucks" in the first place]"

So then you and your chum, who's a top lad, a total ledge, and the utter Archbishop of Banterbury, start getting into it over Manchester, right? And then
  • Tachyon said:

but that is a lesson i have repeatedly failed to learn, myself

nah actually i probably haven't learned either and instead just jump in when i see stuff, but i'm just more argumentatively prone so i get more of a rush from arguing with others on issues i care about

though these days i really have come to avoid certain topics because i've argued or seen them argued to death and feel that there's nothing worth my time to shift opinion about
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

So then you and your chum, who's a top lad, a total ledge, and the utter Archbishop of Banterbury, start getting into it over Manchester, right? And then
    > ledge

now i'm picturing @Tachyon and me as the children on the cover of Where The Sidewalk Ends
    'A total ledge' is something i do actually hear said sometimes, in meatspace

also it turns out 'chum' is actually 1680s slang
  • it is part of a copypasta wherein someone explains what "cheeky nandos" are.
    innit fam

yeah i remember when that was a meme, that was pretty funny to me

your mate (probs called Gaz)
  • I still don't really know what a cheeky nando is.
    well it's like when you're out with your mates and you've been having some quality banter and maybe a cheeky pint in your local Spoons and you're feeling a bit peckish and you say 'let's go maccies innit' but then your bruv Ollie, the lad, says 'nah mates let's have a cheeky nandos!' and you're like 'top notch, let's smash it'
    well alright

Nando's is a chain of restaurants, not like super posh but a step up from fast food, that's mainly known for spicy chicken

'cheeky' is harder to define because it's slang that's very context-dependent, but it's sort of like, it carries the implication that you shouldn't really be doing something?  that puts it too strongly tho, like it's not actually bad it's just not what you're meant to do in that situation, but you're doing it anyway because it's going to be a laugh and you want chicken
  • Tachyon said:

well it's like when you're out with your mates and you've been having some quality banter and maybe a cheeky pint in your local Spoons and you're feeling a bit peckish and you say 'let's go maccies innit' but then your bruv Ollie, the lad, says 'nah mates let's have a cheeky nandos!' and you're like 'top notch, let's smash it'

well it's like when you're out with your friends and you've been having some quality banter and maybe a beer at your local pub and you're feeling a bit hungry and you say "let's go to Mickey D's" but then your bro Ollie, the dude, he says "nah, y'all, let's go to Nando's" and you're like "sweet, let's do it"

Nando's being a chicken restaurant from South Africa with a large UK presence.
  • Ninja'd by the particle, but still, I'd hope I provided a decent translation nonetheless.
  • oh yeah also:

"Spoons" is Wetherspoons, a chain of pubs on many a street corner
    "maccies" is slang for McDonald's, akin to "Mickey D's"
  • Kexruct said:

Maybe I'm missing some broader context but

Is it me or are we really hard on Glenn, like come on this thread is almost painful for me to read

This is more or less how I felt about this thread, or at least the first part of it, but I was worried about saying anything. I think it's generally better to just not post if you don't think a thread's topic is worth engaging with, rather than posting what amounts to eye rolling.

Granted, I'm not really into etymology, so I may just be missing the point a bit, I guess.
    we all missed the point, Glenn just wanted some quality bants with the lads
    In seriousness, when someone makes what looks like a factual pronouncement, and it looks like it's a mistake, i don't consider it hostile or rude to say so.

Like to me providing more accurate information seems like the most productive response