General Video Game Thread

Comments

• in three of those -- super cyborg, maldita castilla, and curse of issyos -- that music itself is so viscerally satisfying, as are those sound effects

that sharp deep bass that the genesis (and its imitators) produce is great for some things
  • I wonder what it says about me that my housemate is playing Overwatch all day and really excited about it -- not even in a bad way, mind you, aside from his obsessive playing that never stops -- and I look at it and it does seem to be pretty decent of a game.  But meantime, I'm playing what is a mediocre platformer and having a zen moment, and I'm also listening to the subtly emotional music from this other game that's a little-known JRPG with an intriguing story and cast.  And honestly, I feel far more driven to playing through A Witch's Tale than pick up Overwatch.
  • edited 2016-05-04 08:29:34
    Meanwhile what it says about me when I have no interest in any of those games and would rather play Street Fighter. :V

Because it are the best.
  • edited 2016-05-04 08:34:41
    I'm mostly going for Zangief and Alex with the occasional Shoto in there. What about you?
  • Ah, SFV. I'm still on USFIV

I main El Fuerte (with increasingly less success as of late), though I used to do Dictator and I'm barely competent with Dudley
  • edited 2016-05-04 08:42:37
    Dudley is pretty gentlemanly rushdown while Dictator's got some scary pressure when done right and Fuerte I see can get so loopy, though I wish I can be decent with them. Or anyone really. :T

I think I also ran Gief in IV along with Honda. Occasionally with Dan for funsies. He are the Streetest of Fighters.
  • edited 2016-05-04 08:47:18
    I never learned to deal with fighting games.

My strategy in Smash is to run the hell away and not do anything sensible, until whatever'I accidentally end up doing gets you ring-outed.  Or me.  Or both of us.
  • We call that the coward way. :p
  • TitleName said:

We call that the coward way. :p

The funny thing is I actually did semi-OK for a while.

I'd surprise the fuck out of other people by suddenly producing a Game & Watch 9 when I actually meant to do an up B for example.  Or when a more normal player would have shielded instead.

Then I started getting better at the game and started making more sensible moves and started being more predictable.  Then I started sucking more.
  • I think you could keep at it if you want. That and your opponents are also improving. That's another factor.

Granted I know you're not one for competitive games but I'm just speaking from my own experience to try and share.
  • The best thing to do with El Fuerte is dealing one hit and then running away until time ends. And the great thing is that El Fuerte's so fast that running away's actually a viable strategy
  • TitleName said:

Dudley is pretty gentlemanly rushdown while Dictator's got some scary pressure when done right and Fuerte I see can get so loopy, though I wish I can be decent with them. Or anyone really. :T

I think I also ran Gief in IV along with Honda. Occasionally with Dan for funsies. He are the Streetest of Fighters.

I actually tried to run Dan and Honda way, way back at the beginning of my career. 

Honda's insane damage output was pretty fun
  • I wish I were not the only person here who played Hearthstone.

Well

Deathonabun is still technically a member of our site, but, you know what I mean.
  • TitleName said:

I actually tried to run Dan and Honda way, way back at the beginning of my career. 

Honda's insane damage output was pretty fun
    Oh was it ever. I like me some big Damage characters!
  • TitleName said:

I think you could keep at it if you want. That and your opponents are also improving. That's another factor.

Granted I know you're not one for competitive games but I'm just speaking from my own experience to try and share.

If I kept on hanging out with that crowd I'd probably gradually get better at Melee just from hanging out and playing with them.

I moved away though.
  • I wonder what it says about me that my housemate is playing Overwatch all day and really excited about it -- not even in a bad way, mind you, aside from his obsessive playing that never stops -- and I look at it and it does seem to be pretty decent of a game.  But meantime, I'm playing what is a mediocre platformer and having a zen moment, and I'm also listening to the subtly emotional music from this other game that's a little-known JRPG with an intriguing story and cast.  And honestly, I feel far more driven to playing through A Witch's Tale than pick up Overwatch.

Eh, you like what you like.
  • edited 2016-05-04 09:27:18
    @TitleName Incidentally they're the crowd that introduced me to both Elder Scrolls and Twilight Princess.  By playing both a lot while I was sitting around watching.

Also Settlers of Catan.  Actually they played Cities and Knights and had a nifty house rule that made barbarian attacks more of an interesting strategic situation.

They also made this video:

So basically, the best gaming crowd I've ever had the privilege of hanging out with.
  • I never learned to deal with fighting games.

My strategy in Smash is to run the hell away and not do anything sensible, until whatever'I accidentally end up doing gets you ring-outed.  Or me.  Or both of us.

Spacing. 

Basically, you want to fight at the range that is most advantageous to your character. Given that your attacks take the same time to complete whether you strike from cuddle distance or air strike distance, the furthest range that allows your attacks to still connect provides the optimal combination of offensive and defensive traits. The larger the distance between combatants, the more time either combatant has to block, evade, or counter. So by doing the above, you give yourself the maximum amount of response time while delivering attacks efficiently as possible. 

This is definitely less important for characters with shorter attack ranges and brawlier dispositions, but is still far from irrelevant. Those characters do very well at getting inside the range (and comfort zone) of characters with more deliberate spacing play, though, so that's always an option if you play against people with good ringcraft. 
  • edited 2016-05-05 00:32:15
    Well, yeah, distance is important, of course, so basically you try to stay away until you think you can predict which angle of attack they don't see coming and then you try that one.  And then you try to mix it up well enough that they can't ever predict what you're going to.

At least that's what's supposed to happen, at least.
  • Trying to predict the unknown too much can make you very vulnerable, though. Using the maximum extent of your attack range goes a long way towards making the fight more predictable, because a much narrower set of attacks (on either side) are viable in that situation. If you and an opponent have roughly equal reach, then each participant is encouraged to use their furthest reaching attacks; if you have shorter reach, a larger portion of your moveset is going to be applicable and you mostly have to watch out for attacks that clear you from close distance; if you have longer distance, you want to be aware of attacks that allow your opponent to enter distance. There are exceptions, but that's our scaffolding. 

So spacing is also a tool for making a complex fight more predictable and manageable. 
  • With Street Fighter, it's not so much spacing and more speed chess. This goes double if you're playing a risky character like El Fuerte. It's all about predicting what the opponent will do next so you can attack without getting smacked out of the sky.
  • And with Skullgirls it's "MY COMBO'S ARE STRONGER THAN YOUR COMBOS", unless you're Peacock, in which case it's "MY KEEPAWAY GAME IS STRONGER THAN YOUR COMBOS"
  • Haven said:

BTW, I made a twitter account entirely to add people on Miitomo. And I guess retweet stuff about Ted Cruz being Lucifer.

slightly amused that a few days after you did this they announced an update that will let you add people by email address
  • Well, of course they did. It was all for the best.

ransom notes keep falling out your mouth...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-06 05:37:53
    Okay, I'm trying to get the Hard Skulltula in the Sealed Grounds level.  It says to beat all the Turncoats and The Imprisoned in under 10 minutes, using the Fire Rod.  Using every trick I know, including interrupting Imprisoned's long-ass slithering and knocking him back down by popping the end of Spirit Focus early, I managed to actually do this with 30 seconds left.  And nothing happened.

Does it want me to actually kill all of the spawning Turncoats across the whole map and not just the leader or something?  Because that's completely unreasonable.  Imprisoned takes so little damage from the Fire Rod that he's a good 5 minutes by himself, there's probably two more before the Turncoats even spawn, another minute and a half of dialogue before the Leader shows up, and a solid 30 seconds of Fi yammering about the Groosenator before you can use it.  And even then I'm pretty sure the Turncoats chain spawn.

I also notice the 3DS version has completely different Skulltula requirements from the Wii U version, and fucking nobody has the 3DS ones posted anywhere.  The Wii U requirement for the same Skulltula looks utterly tame.

EDIT: nvm, pulled it off again under almost identical circumstances and it popped this time.  Of course the Skulltula happened to be inside one of the temples that opens up after killing Imprisoned, and there were enough backlogged messages and dialogue that it almost despawned before the door opened and let me shoot it -_-
  • edited 2016-05-06 04:49:06
    note to self, things that are not the same:

* skultera (bony fish from Metroid series)
    * skulltula (spider with skull body from Zelda series)
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-05-07 23:50:14

Well, something awesome just happened in Second. Has it already topped Default for me? I don't know. It doesn't have as good music, that's true. But it's definitely better than I thought it would be based on review scores and stuff. And I actually think I prefer Second's plot so far. We'll see I guess.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

note to self, things that are not the same:

* skultera (bony fish from Metroid series)
    * skulltula (spider with skull body from Zelda series)

likewise, Phantoon from Metroid is not the same as Phantron from Star Fox.
  • So, I finally decided to install Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and when I created  new character, I ran into this issue.image
     Has anyone else ran into this or know how to fix it?
  • is your character model completely rigid?
  • That and one of his arms is completely detached from his body.
  • Yeah that means your video card can't play the game properly. I had the same problem :\
  • Well, fuck. That's annoying.

That and one of his arms is completely detached from his body.

how is this a problem?
  • That and one of his arms is completely detached from his body.

how is this a problem?
    Well, when you need to accurately determine if you're in range to hit somebody with your weapon, it's kind of important.
    oh.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-13 04:13:10
    Just finished the Great Sea map.  Princess Fishtits for MVP because holy shit she's good.  I think she might be nearly as powerful as Link by now, and she's still 20 levels under him with a considerably weaker weapon.  Plus it's kind of amusing when you just don't feel like dealing with a character boss, so you do two hits then swan-dive behind them and repeat approximately forever.  I mean any character can do that, but Ruto's first two hits are unusually strong and come out almost as fast as quicker characters, and the dodge covers enough ground to get all the way behind them every time.

Special mentions:
    Zelda -- BBYYY can one-round pretty much any boss even if you don't have allies nearby
    Sheik -- Serenade of Water is the easy way to get those 4-heart skulltulas
    Young Link -- I sustained a 700-KO Spirit Focus that also took down some 10 captains and three characters.  He's highly situational, but if you get him in that situation he's going to wreck someone's day.
  • People who should die in Overwatch: Roadhog players, Reaper players and teammates who overload on offense heroes/snipers.
  • edited 2016-05-13 04:32:29

Okay, found a potential solution for the DS II issue is just to update my driver for my video card, so I'm backing up all my data just in case something goes wrong, Which I've honestly been needing to do for awhile anyway.
  • edited 2016-05-14 00:00:42
    Does anyone here have an opinion on Gemini: Heroes Reborn?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324650/

It's in a current Groupees bundle: https://groupees.com/bm25

Also I'm probably picking this up: https://groupees.com/gems2
  • I bought a Destiny: The Taken King poster today.

In other news, I am literal trash.
    *throws u in the trash heap*
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-05-14 04:52:23

Bravely Second's final boss is totally bonkers.

Also, that game is really good. I enjoyed it more than I expected, possibly even more than Bravely Default (though I'll still have to think about that some more). It has a lot less repetition than BD for one thing. I think that overall I like the new asterisk users in Second better than the ones in BD too. Now if only we could have a Second like game with BD's music...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-14 05:36:19
    I just realized upon finishing Skyward Sword Hero Mode that the game's entire plot is basically this.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • edited 2016-05-16 13:40:42
    I've finally managed to install and play Impossible Creatures.

Now I can finally combine various creatures and destroy my virtual enemies like God intended.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Being able to get health down pills as the Keeper is the stupidest thing, I swear.
  • I don't understand it when people say that games looked like shit on the Wii due to its lack of processing power.

None of the games I've seen on the Wii look like shit.  Twilight Princess, for example, looks gorgeous.