everything wrong with the youtube gamer (and non-youtube gamers who act similarly)

edited 2016-05-06 07:02:53 in General Media
1. takes absolutely nothing seriously
2. sexual references all the time, because he thinks that they're funny
3. foul language all the time, because he thinks that it's...i have no idea, actually
4. overreacting to everything
5. making fun of everything and ruining immersion
6. doesn't even actually check out how the game works before recording (e.g. doesn't know about window resizing options, or even basic controls)
7. adding extraneous music by singing, and thinks it's fun

Example of what I mean (a youtube gameplay/reactions vid of Eternal Senia)

Basically, this turns the experience into "just how much novelty value can I react to in one video".  This is horrible for actually getting fulfilling experiences from videogames.

I find this very annoying and I could launch an expletive-laden tirade against this.  But I won't.  That game doesn't deserve my joining someone else in the gutter over it.  It is a beautiful game that doesn't deserve any of this.

Comments

• I should really finish Eternal Senia. What I did play of it was really good. 
  • edited 2016-05-06 07:45:01
    I don't see anything wrong with poking fun at a game.

>4. overreacting to everything
    To be frank, I can say the same of you reacting to this kind of stuff. :/
  • Neither do I.
  • edited 2016-05-06 07:58:07
    I think I can kinda understand what you're getting at, Glenn a bit, I mean it's not exactly a great video, but it's not DSP levels of bad. Even if it's not a view I take myself. I just hope this doesn't end up as another 'Gang up on Glenn' thread.
  • edited 2016-05-06 08:02:49
    TitleName said:

I don't see anything wrong with poking fun at a game.

Well, okay, to be fair, there are games where that is sort of the point.  Just, this isn't one of them, and the youtuber in this case isn't even going as far as not caring about this, but simply just going on and on with the crude humor (and crude attempts at humor).  (The guy literally starts the video by asking to see tits.)  Perhaps if the game were Conker's Bad Fur Day or Leisure Suit Larry this would be more appropriate.

(That said I hear even CBFD has the plot taking on a more serious perspective at the end.)
    TitleName said:

>4. overreacting to everything
    To be frank, I can say the same of you reacting to this kind of stuff. :/

Perhaps I just feel that there's far too much of it going around because I don't like it and it is prevalent enough to produce that impression.
    TitleName said:

I think I can kinda understand what you're
    getting at, Glenn a bit, I mean it's not exactly a great video, but it's
    not DSP levels of bad. Even if it's not a view I take myself. I just
    hope this doesn't end up as another 'Gang up on Glenn' thread.

Who's DSP?

• edited 2016-05-06 08:09:51
    To be fair, I make jokes even with serious games and you can't exactly stop people from doing that. Granted, some of those jokes cross the line and unfunny. But then again, I'm one who likes making jokes with games I love, serious or not, and it doesn't kill my immersion. Again, just speaking from my perspective.

Watch out for my Ys playthrough where I take the piss out of everything! =V

And DSP. Well, he's all of the above things you said up to 11, too much arrrgghh for me. And is a gigantic douchebag on top of that. "Fun" times with him.
  • TitleName said:

Watch out for my Ys playthrough where I take the piss out of everything! =V

you're late

• sonuvabitch. I'm slow. :T
  • I too am tired of "let's make Shrek in Dark Souls" videos.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    GMH: I watched maybe a few seconds of that, and my reaction was "mm-hmm, fuck off"

Like, it's pretty much everything bad about modern YouTube compressed into 10 seconds' time. It made my head hurt.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    number 5 is okay, sometimes.
  • I didn't watch the video in the OP but I can definitely sympathize with the list of annoyances.

I tend to only watch videos for games that aren't plot heavy because numbers 1 and 5 bug me.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-06 16:08:39
    I mean given what Glenn just linked a few posts ago I can't really agree with many of the points in the OP without coming off as a huge hypocritical douche.  I had zero immersion.  Unless you count photoshopping in weird shit, which might be reverse immersion?  Penetration?  I dunno.  I hit pretty much every one of them except 6 and 7 (and if I was recording I probably would've done 7 at least once if I thought it was funny enough, probably during the ZZ Top bit).

I can say with confidence that none of those things are necessarily bad.  Not even #6 (blind LPs can be fun, if edited properly to not be tedious (IMPORTANT)).  It's a difficult balance to hit between keeping a casual banter, exaggerating things for amusement, and respecting the game exactly as much as it warrants.  You really only know how well you did it after the fact when people call you a jackass or not.

Like, that guy in the OP?  Grade AAA jackass, for sure.

If you're going to make crude jokes, at least keep them relevant and don't just randomly shout TITS.  If the game's story bothers to take itself seriously, know when to back off and let it unless it does it really badly.  Don't be afraid to actually praise the game for doing stuff right or gush over awesome moments, even if the game is bad overall.  I wasn't afraid to give Ys Oath shit because a) I really do love it and make this clear, and b) its story has, like, negative subtlety.

Failure is okay as long as you edit it somehow and don't just leave in ages of you smacking your head against something exactly the same way every time.  You do not want to see me throwing myself at Gyalva for two solid hours.  If it was few enough attempts to be funny I might have sped it up and played some vaguely appropriate music over it.  If particularly amusing moments happened during a long failure reel, just pick those out and show them off.  Generally speaking though, wasting more than 2-3 minutes of the viewer's time on a failure is iffy at best.

Not going for comedy is also completely fine.  I tend to gravitate toward the ones tagged Humorous on lparchive, but not always.

It's not an exact science, and ultimately it does have to run through the filter of watching it yourself before uploading.  If you do that and it's painful, you did it wrong.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Bee said:

I mean given what Glenn just linked a few posts ago I can't really agree with many of the points in the OP without coming off as a huge hypocritical douche.  I had zero immersion.  Unless you count photoshopping in weird shit, which might be reverse immersion?  Penetration?  I dunno.  I hit pretty much every one of them except 6 and 7 (and if I was recording I probably would've done 7 at least once if I thought it was funny enough, probably during the ZZ Top bit).

I can say with confidence that none of those things are necessarily bad.  Not even #6 (blind LPs can be fun, if edited properly to not be tedious (IMPORTANT)).  It's a difficult balance to hit between keeping a casual banter, exaggerating things for amusement, and respecting the game exactly as much as it warrants.  You really only know how well you did it after the fact when people call you a jackass or not.
    Even all that said, dude has 80,000 subscribers, more than PushingUpRoses by almost 20K (who seems popular enough if in her kind of niche way). Some people like this dude, and some people want stuff this way. Anything beyond that, to me, just seems like filling in the details.
  • edited 2016-05-06 17:05:17
    FYI @Bee I just wanted to say I enjoyed your Ys Oath liveblog and I'm okay with that.  That felt more like light-hearted ribbing, while what the guy whose video I linked is doing feels more like walking into a library and throwing a loud party just because it's kewl and people who don't like it are square.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-06 23:16:05
    I mean my humor and language during that liveblog were at least as dirty as this idiot's.  I compared the difficulty to recurring imagery of getting violated with a cactus after all.  But like all comedy, the how is ultimately what matters and it's difficult to quantify short of an audience survey.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-05-07 00:12:11

Jane said:

I too am tired of "let's make Shrek in Dark Souls" videos.

Sorry, but you may just need to get ogre it.

...I actually don't mind those videos.
  • I can say with confidence that none of those things are necessarily bad. Not even #6 (blind LPs can be fun, if edited properly to not be tedious (IMPORTANT)). It's a difficult balance to hit between keeping a casual banter, exaggerating things for amusement, and respecting the game exactly as much as it warrants. You really only know how well you did it after the fact when people call you a jackass or not.
    No, watching someone die 10,000 times in the same place is the actual highest form of comedy, and I am being completely sincere.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane said:

I can say with confidence that none of those things are necessarily bad. Not even #6 (blind LPs can be fun, if edited properly to not be tedious (IMPORTANT)). It's a difficult balance to hit between keeping a casual banter, exaggerating things for amusement, and respecting the game exactly as much as it warrants. You really only know how well you did it after the fact when people call you a jackass or not.
    No, watching someone die 10,000 times in the same place is the actual highest form of comedy, and I am being completely sincere.
    Different, though similar.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    More like... die baby.