Your 9 Favorite Game Soundtracks?

LWLW
edited 2016-05-01 17:54:20 in General Media
I was bored and felt like it might be fun to do another one of these 9 favorite things. This time the topic is game OSTs. Feel free to make your picks however you see fit. Each square can either represent a soundtrack from a particular game or just music from a series in general.

Like in the last thread, there are basically three steps:
  1. Come up with a list of your 9 favorite game soundtracks.
  2. Use this site and a search engine to put together a mosaic of the 9 game soundtracks you picked.
  3. Upload the image to imgur/your image hosting site of choice and post it here with or without an explanation of why you picked the soundtracks/music you did.

This is mine, I guess:

I'm holding off on listing some of my favorite tracks from each game/series for now so this post doesn't get too long. Pokemon B2/W2 is a stand in for the whole Pokemon series, really.

Comments

• kill living beings
    at the moment

i haven't played any of them, because games are for nerds
  • One of my rules of thumb is that if I used music from it at some point as a ringtone, it went on the list. Which means that, yes, Metal Gear Solid is literally only here because of the biddly beep. Also, XCom's squad selection music was what I played whenever I was about to go rock climbing.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Pokemon Black and White | Pokemon Omega Ruby | Bastion
    FTL: Faster Than Light | Undertale | Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
    Pokemon X and Y | Risk of Rain | Perfect Cherry Blossom

Less a list of favorites, more just games I could recall offhand that I particularly liked. I'm not in the mood for trying to remember all of the games I've played, let alone some of them, or internally debating them. Although I'm sure some might be obvious. Anyway it's still a fun little thing to do, so why not?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-01 19:14:00

It's the sort of thing that makes me really, really wish more Western games would bother with memorable soundtrack instead of atmospheric noise and orchestra generica.  That said, honorable mentions go to Dust, Bastion, and Metroid Prime (technically Western!).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2016-05-01 19:20:48
    I thought about doing this a few times but then the site didn't let me upload and I think I've just about had it with that thing.  Screw it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    They made a My Mother the Car game and I didn't know about it? WTF
    that said, my all-time choices

add a touhou game of your choice
  • I thought about doing this a few times but then the site didn't let me upload and I think I've just about had it with that thing.  Screw it.

Which site didn't let you upload it? Your image hosting site? If you'd like, I can try uploading it for you.
    I think you have to register for it to let you upload? Which I wasn't going to either, so I made mine in GIMP.
  • edited 2016-05-01 20:37:16
    LW said:

I thought about doing this a few times but then the site didn't let me upload and I think I've just about had it with that thing.  Screw it.

Which site didn't let you upload it? Your image hosting site? If you'd like, I can try uploading it for you.
    bighugelabs.

at some poitn i'm going to get around to drawing a 9x9 myself.  but that's a lot of work so maybe i just won't do it.
  • LW said:

bighugelabs.

at some poitn i'm going to get around to drawing a 9x9 myself.  but that's a lot of work so maybe i just won't do it.
    Do you have an imgur account? That's what I used to upload mine. If not, feel free to give me the temporary URL for it and I can upload it on my imgur.
  • No, the upload isn't the problem.

The problem is just that I don't really wanna deal with it.

Just kinda feeling shitty right now, sorry.
  • No worries, I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Well, there's basically the hassle of finding appropriate images, and searching the web for them if need be, then I have to upload them (I have a Photobucket account so that's not a problem), and then I have to consider the order in which I place them (though it'll probably be alphabetical), then I have to consider what things I want to include, and whether I basically just want to place the same games I keep on placing in these things, or what else do I want to include, etc. etc. etc.

so in summary, in no particular order

games with great soundtracks that appear in my top games overall list which you can see at https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/567579/#Comment_567579

Ys Origin
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Super Mario RPG
    Chrono Trigger
    Mega Man ZX
    Cave Story
    Final Fantasy VI

Oh hey, what do you know, most of them also fit in this thread.  So I'm going to try to not mention them and come up with another list of 9 games.  in fact, i'm going to try to go obscure and list things that aren't going to appear elsewhere -- even avoiding the big name franchises.  yes, final fantasy v and final fantasy tactics and donkey kong country 2 have great soundtracks.  no i won't mention them in the list below.

games that don't appear in my top games overall list but whose soundtracks I actually want to highlight (10 of them)

Tail 'Gator
    eXceed series
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and MMPR The Movie (for SNES)
    La-Mulana
    Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
    Fortune Summoners
    A Witch's Tale
    Mutant Mudds
    Momodora III
    Terra Diver

honorable mention (11 of them)
    Rusty Hearts
    Telefang
    Tower of Heaven
    Scurge: Hive
    Koi wa Kakehiki
    Mega Man Unlimited
    Iji
    Eden's Aegis
    Star Fox 2
    Aquaria
    VVVVVV
  • edited 2016-05-01 21:58:35
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    EoSD, NMH2, Pokemon Black, and Undertale. Nice, nice.
    It could've been any Touhou game really, but I stuck with the one I actually remembered all the songs for, hahaha. Also, I can't believe no one called out @Haven for putting Homestuck on his list. IT'S A MIXED MEDIA WEBCOMIC, YOU CHEATER. (with some flash games thrown into the mix) 
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Epitome said:

It could've been any Touhou game really, but I stuck with the one I actually remembered all the songs for, hahaha. Also, I can't believe no one called out @Haven for putting Homestuck on his list. IT'S A MIXED MEDIA WEBCOMIC, YOU CHEATER. (with some flash games thrown into the mix) 

Objection!

Epitome said:

Objection!
    There's no music out for Hiveswap, objection overruled! 

• Epitome said:

objection overruled! 

Homestuck is a classic adventure game! It's just that, due to its arcane system requirements, most people are only familiar with the LP on mspaintadventures.com
  • edited 2016-05-02 00:30:50
    so i caved and did this in gimp with pictures lying around in my pictures folder

this is more like 3x9 but whatever
    I considered Super Metroid for my list, but it didn't quite make it
  • edited 2016-05-02 00:52:17
    oh i forgot to give a plug for Mega Man II (GB) which is another game with a much-maligned soundtrack that i like
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-05-02 04:03:38

This looks a lot like my general "favorite games" grid, but whatever, it's different enough to warrant making another one.

The best ones here are T&B, Fez and OlliOlli 2 but all of them are great. Burnout Paradise and Rock Band 2 were actually legitimately responsible for a lot of the foundation of my current musical taste, DJ Hero 2 is wonderful mashup madness, Tearaway's still capable of making my eyes water two years after I finished the game, Scott Pilgrim is the reason I love Anamanaguchi, Rayman has whimsicality bursting from its nonexistent butt, and Undertale is Undertale.

honorable mentions: 
    • Portal and Portal 2
    • Super Hexagon
    • Thomas Was Alone
    • Mirror's Edge
    • Life is Strange
    • Destiny (and The Taken King)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-02 06:43:52
    I can't believe I forgot Guacamelee.  I totally wanted to get a brass quintet to play the Santa Luchita theme in the basketball stands.

I mean I wanted to get a brass quintet to play more mariachi music in general in the basketball stands, but let's face it, mariachis are fucking awesome.
  • edited 2016-05-02 08:18:18
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Haven said:

Epitome said:

objection overruled! 

Homestuck is a classic adventure game! It's just that, due to its arcane system requirements, most people are only familiar with the LP on mspaintadventures.com

you're thinking of sburb.  homestuck is the name of the lp.
    The first one is FF 9, but the full name got cut off. And Ck2 is really both CK2 and Eu4 but I couldn't find an image with both titles.
  • FYI the games I showed in the picture are:

top left, multiple panels, partly obscured, the girl with the blue hair and the ring: Monster Tale
    inset within Monster Tale, big golden statue: Super Metroid
    purple girl wearing blue: Freedom Planet
    red dragon and chest with eyes: Super Mario RPG
    series of cartoony portraits, with kanji at the bottom right: Cave Story
    cute anime girls, wearing red, blue, and purple: Fortune Summoners
    the tiny logo beneath that: Ether Vapor Remaster (I wanted a picture of Fairy Bloom Freesia but I didn't have a good one)
    "ANDROSS": Star Fox 2
    cartoony blue robot, red robot dog, busts of other robots in the background: Mega Man 6
    crying girl embraced by another girl: Eternal Senia
    pink creature with green hair: Chrono Trigger
    bald man with heavy chin, smiling: Team Fortress 2
    "Pratty": Summon Night Swordcraft Story
    girl with blond pigtails, and other girls in the background including twin princesses: A Witch's Tale
    cartoony representation of robots against black background, with battery meter in corner: Mega Man Battle Network
    boy with parrot on head: Treasure Adventure Game
    two girls and two boys, far right of collage: Golden Sun (representing both games)
    two winged girls: Ys Origin
    "Itzlacolk's Jungle": Aztaka
    "Game Complete!": Tower of Heaven
    green crocodile with pirate hat: Donkey Kong Country 2
    "Revenge Armor": Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    "Rayne: Why is everyone I meet today trying to tick me off?": eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
    two catlike creatures forming pink energy balls: Pokémon (whole series, though 1st gen is highlighted here)
    white-haired mustached man: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    two men and a woman between them: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    "Juan Agacate vs. Carlos Calaca": Guacamelee!

not pictured:
    Spoiler:
    Tail 'Gator
    Koi Wa Kakehiki
    Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime
    Mega Man 5, II (GB), ZX, X1, X2, X3, X4, Unlimited
    Final Fantasy 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Tactics, Tactics Advance
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    La-Mulana
    Rusty Hearts
    Eden's Aegis
    eXceed - Gun Bullet Children, eXceed 2nd - Vampire, eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate, eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
    Actraiser
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (SNES), Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: the Movie (SNES)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Radical Rescue, Turtles in Time
    Terra Diver
    Radiant Silvergun
    Ys: the Oath in Felghana
    VVVVVV
    Valis 3
    Mutant Mudds
    Xeodrifter
    An Untitled Story
    Zen Nihon Pro Wrestling
    Scurge: Hive
    Shantae series
    Motocross Maniacs
    Hebereke / U-four-ia
    Magic Knight Rayearth (SNES)
    Super Mario World II: Yoshi's Island, Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Bros. 3, Mario's Time Machine
    Parodius series
    Momodora III
    Monty on the Run
    Ikachan
    Iji
    I Wanna Be The Guy (which is technically just a collage of other games' music)
    Elsword
    Ragnarok Battle Offline
    Eversion (partly derived from Cocoron)
    Energy Breaker
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Aquaria
    Astebreed
    Fairy Bloom Freesia
    Bunny Must Die
    Contra series
    One Way Heroics
    Kirby series
    Telefang Power/Speed
    The Shivah
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
  • edited 2016-05-02 19:38:54
    i'm thinking of doing something like this with anime soundtracks

another collage thing drawing from pictures i have in my own folder
  • imageYes, I realize most of these games are incredibly mainstream. No, I don't care. Yes, I will change my answers every time someone ask me this question.
  • TitleName said:

imageYes, I realize most of these games are incredibly mainstream. No, I don't care. Yes, I will change my answers every time someone ask me this question.

I like your Star Fox 64 pick. I thought that game had a pretty nice soundtrack overall, mainly because of how fitting the individual tracks were for where they appeared in-game. Area 6 is one of my personal favorites.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    In general the Star Fox series has some excellent music.

TBH i kinda went with my gut, at another time i might well have included Star Fox on there.  Sword and Sworcery EP is another game i thought about including, but ultimately didn't.  Rayman 2 is another.

It's the opposite problem to if i were making a list of favourite anime soundtracks, in which case i think i'd hit difficulty filling the list.  There are far too many video game soundtracks that i like well enough to want to put them in my top 9.
    I always liked the original Star Fox OST.

Although, in this thread it appears to be Undertale that's winning
    I chose not to put multiple games from the same series (otherwise it would be eight ace attorney games and undertale tbh) so you can think of any of the games that are part of series as standing in for the whole series, though I did try to pick the ones with the best / most memorable (to me) music.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-05-03 03:09:03

Tachyon said:

It's the opposite problem to if i were making a list of favourite anime soundtracks, in which case i think i'd hit difficulty filling the list.  There are far too many video game soundtracks that i like well enough to want to put them in my top 9.

It might be worthwhile to make a "Your 9 Favorite Movie/TV Show Soundtracks" thread. I think I'd also struggle to fill in 9 squares though. There are definitely shows with openings and endings I like, but it's a lot rarer for me to be a big fan of a show's background music.

Anywho, here are some explanations for my picks:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    One of the few game soundtracks I own. Pretty much everything about it is great, from the ultra atmospheric stuff to the Goron race and minigame themes. I really enjoy the wistfulness of the astral observatory theme too.  Some favorite songs: Astral Observatory, The End Credits, Clock Town Day 2, Goron Race, Stone Tower Temple, Last Day (Final Hours).  

Banjo-Kazooie
    This game probably has my all-time favorite platformer soundtrack. It may not be ultra complex, but I find the songs to be really memorable. I don't really dislike any of them. Some favorite songs: Freezeezy Peak, Click Clock Wood (Spring), Final Battle, Main Title, Spiral Mountain.  

Diddy Kong Racing
    Dave Wise composed this game's soundtrack. Some of it is a bit odd, but I really like some of the ultra peppy themes like Pirate Lagoon. Some favorite songs: Pirate Lagoon/Treasure Caves, Frosty Village, Windmill Plains/Greenwood Village, Darkmoon Caverns.

Pikmin
    I just really like Forest of Hope, I guess. Some favorite songs: Forest of Hope, The Forest Navel, The Impact Site.

Pokemon
    I did a cop out answer of Pokemon in general, but my two favorite soundtracks are probably Black2/White2 and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Some favorite songs: Champion Iris Theme (B2/W2), Colress Theme (B2/W2), Battle! Wally (ORAS), Battle! Zinnia (ORAS).  

Bravely Default
    That Person's Name Is and Serpent Eating the Ground (or however you want to translate it) tend to get a lot of attention, but thanks to @Reila I've gotten hooked on Wicked Battle lately too. I even enjoy the overworld theme. Some favorite songs: That Person's Name Is, Serpent Eating the Ground, Wicked Battle, Horizon of Light and Shadow.

Donkey Kong Country
    Dave Wise composed this soundtrack too. Secret Seclusion is heavily based on DK Jr.'s title/opening theme, which is cool. Everything else is just good and generally pretty chill. Some favorite songs: Secret Seclusion, Canopy Chaos, Busted Bayou, Windmill Hills, Funky Waters (Amiss Abyss).

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    This is basically a cop out answer as well, since Smash has music from a bunch of games. I'm only counting original remixes though. Some favorite songs:  Style Savvy: Trendsetters Main Theme Remix, Bubblegum K.K. Remix, Full Steam Ahead Remix, Mission Mode Remix (Pikmin 3), Rosalina in the Observatory/Luma's Theme Remix, Onett Theme Remix.

Splatoon
    This game's soundtrack is sort of varied and just seems to fit the aesthetic of this game perfectly. Some favorite songs: Splattack, Quick Start, Calamari Inkantation/Squid Sisters Theme, I Am Octavio (Phase 3), Ink Me Up/Splatfest Theme, Hooked.