ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the march madness four-channel thing made me seriously happy, actually, primarily for that reason
  • Jane said:

Anonus said:

It's a CMS, like Joomla!

I ask you to explain these things to me in English and you bring me a book written in Church Latin
    it's software you use to make a website

like wordpress except not specifically for blogs
    thank you Central Avenue.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Calica said:

the march madness four-channel thing made me seriously happy, actually, primarily for that reason

it's still weird that the old whip-around format stayed in place until 2011
    I used to think this logo was some boss-ass shit:

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It's still pretty good, considering that SPT tended to cheap out on their logos back then.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-12-16 00:17:37
    moved
  • open up my mouth & sunlight illuminates the dark
  • (OH GOD WRONG THREAD SORRY Y'ALL)
    Did I ever tell you how ungodly boring I find the 1981 version of the 20th Century Fox logo?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What's wrong with it?
    20th Century Fox's logo gets progressively more boring to look at through the years (and yes, this includes the transition from "20th CENTURY PICTURES, INC." to "20th CENTURY FOX"), and somehow, that one is just the perfect storm of getting the character and quirks beaten out of it.
  • The modern rendition of it that Blue Sky did in like 2012 or so (whenever the studio's 75th anniversary year was) is pretty nice, though I do agree that some of the older versions can be pretty milquetoast.

I've always found Fox Searchlight's logo to be more interesting to watch, but it's only been around for a fraction of the time the original has.
    I hate Blue Sky's version (which dates to 2009). There's all this blur. There's these weird shadows on the logo...
    Also, the Fox Searchlight Pictures logo's actual design is really hideous and cheap.
    Ever since the TCF logo made the jump to CGI, we've been inundated with a deluge of slapped-together, mechanical-looking iterations upon the Fox structure. Witness:

That logo looks like something one of the logo fakers on YouTube would shit out, not an actual Fox logo (which it is, sadly).
  • edited 2016-01-07 19:45:27
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Man, this is a pretty shitty logo.
    i know it
    wow, 1968 wants its graphic design back
    So after working on my own concept, it turns out that TNT has decided to bring out a new logo to complement TBS's:

This thing is vile.
    I honestly can't tell if the connected letters are an homage to TNT's original logo or not.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    What's so bad about it?

(Yours is definitely better.)
    The Ts are optically imbalanced, noticeably so. (The "N" on mine is uneven, but I left it that way on purpose because it did not LOOK like a defect and it might even contribute to the balance)

Also those curves on the N.
    i agree about the curves.

i can't honestly see the imbalance with the Ts but i'll take your word for it.
    It's more evident at smaller sizes - the tops are too thin to be congruent with the bottoms.
    Oh, yeah, i see it.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-02-03 15:50:44

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_uber_done_in_house.php

Say it with me, y'all: "this wasn't necessary."

Most of Brand New's commenters are saying the new app icons are bunk and the wordmark is fine but I think what's really getting me is how jumbled the "UBER" letters are.

Like, look at it:

The angles used to shave the E don't match with what was used for the R, the R's crossbar isn't aligned with the middle of the B and E, the internal corners are tapered on the bottom but not the top, the bottom bar of the E is longer than the one on top, the top corners of the U aren't tapered but they are on the other letters... it's just not internally consistent at all. I find another issue with it with each passing glance I take at it, it seems.

(I don't particularly like the new icons either but they don't have the glaring problems that the wordmark does.)
  • (Looking closer at it, some of those issues with the tapered edges were present in the old one too so they may be stylistic choices, but the switch to a thicker grotesque [?] sans serif from the thin geometric used previously just sort of made it awkward instead of blending in the way they did before)
    That letter E bothers me for some reason.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Best logo or best logo?

(If you don't get why it's funny, use the time slider.)
  • Love that poultry from Buckeyes~
    is that supposed to make the Walmart logo look like a sphincter
  • no it's the walmart logo but instead it says Chili's

there's literally nothing different about the astrisk as far as i can tell?
    There isn't, but people have compared it to such, and I got food poisoning once at Chili's and fucking hate the place as a result
  • that seems a little extreme
    it does?
  • yeah i mean

i could understand now wanting to visit that particular franchise again but
    http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/starz-encore-rebrand-new-logo-1201739832/

One thing I hate about the proliferation of geometric sans serifs is that it seems to go hand-in-hand with absurdly forgettable logos
    The 1986 iteration of the Paramount logo (that's not the official finished product, but the basis for it) is the last one that tried to be naturalistic and not absurd

Just listen to how the Revue Studios theme devolves from big-band masterpiece to scare-chordy nightmare
    What's interesting about the 1975-1991 version is that it actually became less scary over time (through more polished renditions of the music), though still not entirely clean, either.
    I noticed that too...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    The sudden brief return of the original jingle around 6:40 is pretty sweet.
  • semi-related: the current Universal Pictures logo's fanfare always feels weird to me because the big drums kick in too early

Just sayin'.

The CornerStone logo predates the Windows logo by quite a few years, too!

As someone who actually kind of liked the previous logo (societal perception thereof be damned), I think this is a step backwards, both conceptually and in execution.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say the one from 2005 is (marginally) better.
    I thought the 2005 logo was a pile of vomit

For all this one gets wrong, it's probably their best logo since the original Bullet

I expect no better from them, so I just hope they get some decent use out of this one
    To save cost on signage updates, they designed the 2007 logo to fit within the same holding shape of the old one...except it doesn't. The top of the lower part is rounded slightly, so they have to cheat on the actual signage:

[x]

I just find it weird that they would give the designers that constraint but then not actually strictly stick to it