The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    who still goes on the HH Slack
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    It seemed kinda dead when I was there.
    if people don't go there, it dies, and people don't go there because it's dead
    it dies when it is killed
  • This is probably lame but I have this weird affection for My House by Flo Rida because it's such a earnestly good natured, sweet song

I mean, it's still dumb but I can't help but like it
    I use the Slack too

I just want people to go in #gay-princess-power :<
  • Kexruct said:

This is probably lame but I have this weird affection for My House by Flo Rida because it's such a earnestly good natured, sweet song

I mean, it's still dumb but I can't help but like it

Flo Rida is fine.
    Penn Sylvania
  • the home of Penn Island
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I don't dislike Flo Rida. Even the most boring or annoying stuff I've heard of his is at least, y'know, friendly. It seems like his definition of "partying" is more cheerful and appealing than most "party" music these days, and I can appreciate that, even if I'm not generally a pop-rap person. I mean, I find Future's instrumentals and vibe more interesting, but the fact that most club music right now seems wont to live in that gloomy unethical hedonism zone 24/7 is depressing, particularly when the lyrics aren't even interestingly grim. (Incidentally why I like Clipping: There's an unironic appreciation for shady grungy lyricism, but there's also some really clever meta-media commentary on how people glamourise bad situations because they only see, or want to see, the "exciting" aspects, and the lyrics and the music bring *everything* about "that life" into it.)
  • the two aren't directly comparable. Flo Rida hasn't had a mainstream hit in years and despite his net popularity, Future has never been nearly as universal.
  • edited 2016-03-15 02:24:45

really? i hear Future all the time
  • Compare their Billboard chart history.

Future only has two pages of charting songs, none of which have ever risen higher than #42

Flo Rida has had several #1s, for comparison.

it's the fundamental difference between being a hip-hop artist who is popular and a pop artist who raps.
  • this all just confuses me
  • Flo Rida makes more accessible music and is listened to by demographics Future is not.

The stereotypical "soccer mom" demo is one.
  • i kinda assumed that soccer moms mostly listened to the music they grew up with

like Cyndi Lauper
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Flo Rida just seems like a guy who loves to have fun, and who has an ear for good hooks.

Or has a producer who has an ear for good hooks.
  • also everyone should look at the thing I posted in the Anime thread
    soccer mom
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Never forget the switch from Julian to Gregorian.

Leap years are amazing and good, but the Nicene creed guys will come back for revenge when we learn that we have a year ten minutes longer than their year.

I hear saint Anathasius has laser eyes and knows all the world's combo moves after fighting it for all the years.

• kill living beings
    modern time is so much weirder than past time. we can measure with atomic clocks but UTC is thirty six seconds behind TAI because leap seconds and the sun not working right
  • Time is subjective.

That's not meant to be a joke or a wisecrack, it's true as far as I understand it.
  • kill living beings
    yeah it is. time is fake actually
    !
  • no but really

my understanding is that "time" is not really one singular natural force in the way that something like gravity is (or is perceived as being), but rather that it's a series of phenomena we don't really understand fully but think of in a highly simplified fashion in order to make practical sense of.
  • edited 2016-03-15 03:14:52
    kill living beings
    nah screw that. time being fake is actually simple. say you have two clocks in different places. you want them to record "the same time", so you have to coordinate them. but how do you do that? some kind of signal, light or otherwise. but signals have a delay, so if you want to be exact you have to account for delay by knowing the distance between the clocks. but you also need to know the relative speed of the clocks, because that will change the signal time. but how do you measure speed without a clock? can't. fucked

and that clock... was albert einstein.
  • so in that sense would you say that time only exists when there is someone there to measure it?
    For what is time? Who can easily and briefly explain it? Who even in thought can comprehend it, even to the pronouncing of a word concerning it? But what in speaking do we refer to more familiarly and knowingly than time? And certainly we understand when we speak of it; we understand also when we hear it spoken of by another. What, then, is time? If no one ask of me, I know; if I wish to explain to him who asks, I know not. Yet I say with confidence, that I know that if nothing passed away, there would not be past time; and if nothing were coming, there would not be future time; and if nothing were, there would not be present time. Those two times, therefore, past and future, how are they, when even the past now is not; and the future is not as yet? But should the present be always present, and should it not pass into time past, time truly it could not be, but eternity. If, then, time present — if it be time — only comes into existence because it passes into time past, how do we say that even this is, whose cause of being is that it shall not be — namely, so that we cannot truly say that time is, unless because it tends not to be?
  • you truly do have a copypasta for every situation
    Yes
  • post one about rabbits. I like rabbits.
    (2015 self)
    Caesium decay. Nine milliard something something.
    Long ago, the great Frith made the world. He made all the stars, and the world lived among the stars. Frith made all the animals and birds, and at first, he made them all the same. Now, among the animals was El-ahrairah, the prince of rabbits. He had many friends, and they all ate grass together. But after a time, the rabbits wandered everywhere, multiplying and eating as they went. Then Frith said to El-ahrairah, "Prince Rabbit, if you cannot control your people, I shall find ways to control them." But El-ahrairah would not listen and said to Frith, "My people are the strongest in the world." This angered Frith, so he determined to get the better of El-ahrairah. He gave a present to every animal and bird, making each one different from the rest. When the fox came, and others, like the dog and the cat, the hawk, and the weasel—to each of them, Frith gave a fierce desire to hunt and slay the children of El-ahrairah. Then El-ahrairah knew that Frith was too clever for him, and he was frightened. He had never before seen the black rabbit of death. "My friend," said Frith, "have you seen El-ahrairah? For I wish to give him a gift." [as El-ahrairah] "Uhh... no... I-I-I have not seen him." So Frith said, "Come out and I will bless you instead." [as El-ahrairah] "No, I cannot, I am busy. The fox and weasel are coming. If you want to bless me, you'll have to bless my bottom." [as Frith] "Very well. Be it so." And El-ahrairah's tail grew shining white and flashed like a star. And his back legs grew long and powerful. And he tore across the hill, faster than any creature in the world. [as Frith] "All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, Prince With a Swift Warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."
  • can you make a thread for this? I want to ask for more specifically-subjected copypastas
  • kill living beings
    well, it's like... what is time, maaaaan

intuitively i'd say it comes with an idea of the world where everything happens at once. if i do something, that ccould hypothetically affect you immediately, as i do it, in time-world. like in a video game where i fire a laser and it immediately kills some orc shitfucker on the other side of the map. but we know that that's not actually the case from there being speed of light and all, the ability of events to cause each other is limited by how far apart they take place.
  • kill living beings

For what is time? Who can easily and briefly explain it? Who even in thought can comprehend it, even to the pronouncing of a word concerning it? But what in speaking do we refer to more familiarly and knowingly than time? And certainly we understand when we speak of it; we understand also when we hear it spoken of by another. What, then, is time? If no one ask of me, I know; if I wish to explain to him who asks, I know not. Yet I say with confidence, that I know that if nothing passed away, there would not be past time; and if nothing were coming, there would not be future time; and if nothing were, there would not be present time. Those two times, therefore, past and future, how are they, when even the past now is not; and the future is not as yet? But should the present be always present, and should it not pass into time past, time truly it could not be, but eternity. If, then, time present — if it be time — only comes into existence because it passes into time past, how do we say that even this is, whose cause of being is that it shall not be — namely, so that we cannot truly say that time is, unless because it tends not to be?

you know, i think i have a copy of ada or ardor somewhere, i could type up that entire hundred page insanity about time or whatever
  • Hmm.

Now's the part where I choose to stop thinking about this and assume Stephen Hawking is figuring this out somewhere.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember studying special relativity in Physics I

It's pretty amazing because it's stuff that seems so unintuitive while simultaneously making perfect sense
  • kill living beings
    i'm telling you, it's einstein, mon. fuckers got this in the bag since 1905 baby
  • i'm telling you, it's einstein, mon. fuckers got this in the bag since 1905 baby

he still sucks at checkers
  • kill living beings
    data on einsteinian checkers is equivocal
  • kill living beings
    you kind of rip it out. you make a little hole in them and reach in with specialized pliers. inside the body you have to gather it all together, with the pliers of course, so you can grab it all at once. once you have a good grip you pull hard because it might still be stuck to the bones
    Time is serious shit

Do not underestimate Her
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, we should stop talking about Imi's Wife like that.
    I know things about Her you wouldn't believe
  • kill living beings
    brag elsewhere, fuck, man
  • edited 2016-03-15 03:33:11

I remember studying special relativity in Physics I

It's pretty amazing because it's stuff that seems so unintuitive while simultaneously making perfect sense
    Special relativity was my favourite part of first-year physics because there weren't integrals.