Markus "Notch" Persson is a gator

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    And then the next day he claimed he was trolling and not a gator
    I think he's just a jackass
  • If not an actual gator he certainly has the gator mindset. Dammit.
    Yes, I am sad too
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It certainly isn't preferable. My sympathies.
  • And then the next day he claimed he was trolling and not a gator

actually the next day he specifically claimed he was an SJW and asked all of his GG followers to unfollow

Markus "Notch" Persson is a weirdo.
  • Man I just wanted to build shit in a cool game.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    While Notch himself may be hard to read, it does seem like a lot of bro-y types play Minecraft, which is odd because you wouldn't think it'd attract the Gears of War/Call of Duty set.
    I dunno, building stuff is, like, really fun. I could see anyone getting behind that.

Only reason I didn't, even when finding out it was cheap (and/or free for a time?), is because I loathe the art style.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    From what I've seen, Notch is just a very very bored billionaire with nothing to do.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My niece loves Minecraft, so it pains me to see Notch saying dumb shit like this.
  • From what I've seen, Notch is just a very very bored billionaire with nothing to do.

yeah, mostly he seems like he's having a bad time

i feel sorry for him
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    notch is as bad at ethics as he is at java
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Gator?

I thought we liked alligators.
  • no it is a euphemism for GamerGater

which there is no reason to use here, because this is a private website.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    oh is that why people say it?

i've just been saying it because it's shorter, and kind of funny
  • it's harder to reverse-search on twitter, that is why people say it yes.

Because if you just say "GamerGater" on twitter people will come out of the woodwork and DM you pictures of corpses and other pleasant things.
    that is not even slightly surprising, admittedly
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

no it is a euphemism for GamerGater

which there is no reason to use here, because this is a private website.
    I always capitalise it to make the distinction clear here, although there is also a Florida sports team with that name, I think football but I could be wrong. Mainly I use it out of a combination of snarky derision and residual paranoia, sort of like how I've gotten behind John Oliver's "Make Donald Drumpf Again" campaign.
    All told, I feel kind of bad for Persson in a weird way. It's like what Phil Oakey of The Human League said about hitting Number One: You're stunned, and suddenly everyone knows who you are, but you don't have any real connection to your "fans" anymore, because there's no investment. You're huge, so who cares. And being so rich that you have nothing to do is boring as fuck, particularly when your money came from doing something creative and technical that you did out of love.
  • edited 2016-03-07 21:51:42
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I also suspect that everything he had to put up after Minecraft became a massive phenomenon burnt him out to an extent that he is now psychologically incapable of doing anything creative and technical to the extent that he once could, which I'm sure only exasperates his depression.
  • The Florida Gators are a university athletic team and thus play most sports
  • why not just spell it "Gater"?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

why not just spell it "Gater"?

Because how many other contexts is that going to be used in?

what?

I dunno; I'm just proposing an intuitive and reasonable-seeming alternative that is an improvement over the current state of affairs
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

why not just spell it "Gater"?

what?

I dunno; I'm just proposing an intuitive and reasonable-seeming alternative that is an improvement over the current state of affairs
    And completely missing the point of "gator" in the process.

what?

And completely missing the point of "gator" in the process.
    okay, i'll bite; what's the point of "gator"?
  • Jane said:

it's harder to reverse-search on twitter, that is why people say it yes.

Because if you just say "GamerGater" on twitter people will come out of the woodwork and DM you pictures of corpses and other pleasant things.

• All told, I feel kind of bad for Persson in a weird way. It's like what Phil Oakey of The Human League said about hitting Number One: You're stunned, and suddenly everyone knows who you are, but you don't have any real connection to your "fans" anymore, because there's no investment. You're huge, so who cares. And being so rich that you have nothing to do is boring as fuck, particularly when your money came from doing something creative and technical that you did out of love.

Same, very much same

I learned about the GG thing after I was thoroughly sympathetic to the guy

It's why this hurts me in a unique way
    i kind of wonder if he wasn't just trying to get everyone invested in the debate in any way to unfollow him

well, whatever, i don't think these opinions are expressed in his work in any way
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

i kind of wonder if he wasn't just trying to get everyone invested in the debate in any way to unfollow him

well, whatever, i don't think these opinions are expressed in his work in any way

he doesn't have anything to do with minecraft anymore anyways and had basically stepped away even before selling to microsoft
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

This is pretty much it from what I can gather.
  • edited 2016-03-08 17:02:12

Jane said:

it's harder to reverse-search on twitter, that is why people say it yes.

oh that

well it's unfair to the alligators

now i wonder if there are any gamergaters who are willing to say "i'm willing to have feminazi types take over my gaming experience if that will result in the preservation of wetlands"

probably none

so fuck them until they say that

#priorities #flamebait #crossingthestreams #expandingtheargument
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Local Man's Sense of Humor Confounds Princess, details at 11
  • edited 2016-03-08 18:06:24

Local Man's Sense of Humor Confounds Princess, details at 11

It does nothing to help calm a situation and basically makes things worse, so it should almost never be practiced in real life, but there is something gratifying in a cathartic (albeit chaotic) way for a conflict to blow up and become a grand conflagration with fighters on all sides duking it out in spectacular fashion, complete with flashy moves, dramatic music, and stinging zingers.

Expanding the conflagration by bringing in allies and enemies from another conflict just serves to make it grander.  And worse, from a real-life practical perspective, but since we're already dreaming of the excitement of battle, why the hell not?
    Kexruct said:

All told, I feel kind of bad for Persson in a weird way. It's like what Phil Oakey of The Human League said about hitting Number One: You're stunned, and suddenly everyone knows who you are, but you don't have any real connection to your "fans" anymore, because there's no investment. You're huge, so who cares. And being so rich that you have nothing to do is boring as fuck, particularly when your money came from doing something creative and technical that you did out of love.

Same, very much same

I learned about the GG thing after I was thoroughly sympathetic to the guy

It's why this hurts me in a unique way
    Again:
    Tachyon said:

Pretty sure it's this.
  • EEEEEH

As someone who has been following this intensely since its beginning and has done a decent amount of research onto the man himself I can assure you that's not very likely

It's not like I'm wanting to dislike the guy
  • kill living beings
    option two there is still a pretty unpleasant way to treat people
  • Exactly! And it's still very much the kind of thing a reactionary would do
  • if that's the kind of thing a reactionary would do then I guess "reactionary" is nowhere near as damning a term as it once was
  • Okay well its *not nice* in a way very familiar to me insofar as it is *not nice* in such a manner that reactionary groups like GamerGate, or people on the fringes of those groups frequently are

Is that specific enough

Do I retain my right to use the word "reactionary"
    I'd personally just call him much more conservative, or what-have-you, than use the term outright, buuuuut I get your point. So shrug.
  • your specificity is appreciated, but I'm less than enthused with your statement
  • It is a thing he do that bad people do

I figured that was obvious and I really don't care for being talked down to
  • Like okay! I'm well aware he is reacting to the pressures of sudden fame! And I'm entirely sympathetic to that regardless. And either way, it's not like I'm going to reblog a Notch call out post or even really say anything about it other than privately. I'm disappointed, not angry. I think that regardless of why he's doing it, he's still (essentially) throwing in with the biggest blight on the game industry and one of the most repugnant things I've had to witness and deal with personally and I'm so, so unhappy about that and I wish things were different.

Is *that* allowed?
  • kill living beings
    reactionaries don't have a monopoly on being assholes

baiting arguments with lies so that you can be haughtily above the fray is an asshole move but nothing about it is particularly reactionary