Anonus Watches Steven Universe

But I'm starting here part of the way through season 1. I started watching the show back in May, got part of the way through, and stopped due to schoolwork and other factors, only occasionally watching further episodes. (I watched the episode where Lapis Lazuli first appears with Centie in August. She hasn't shown up since then)

Now I'm on "Warp Tour", which I'm told is the first episode to feature Peridot. Amethyst is eating Not Easy Mac cheese packets by themselves, like the gourmet junk food they are.
Tagged:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't want to get caught up, almost. It means it will be GONE and then I'll have to wait for more. CN has yet to date the next StevenBomb, I don't want to run out of SU. I want it to last forever.
    It's like how Mother burns through the entire seasons of Netflix originals, which are released all at once, in like two days, and doesn't pace herself.

I don't understand how people can spend huge chunks of their day watching one show incessantly.
    But if people didn't, USA Network would collapse.
    I don't want this show to end.
  • SU as we have it right now is only about half done at most. Cartoon Network commissioned three seasons, and we're halfway through the second (so there's the remainder of this one and then another on top of that left).

So even if you do get caught up you're not really going to run out any time soon.

Also, fun fact, "Warped Tour" aired almost exactly a year ago.
  • edited 2016-01-11 08:25:12
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah but I'll have to wait like three months for new episodes. Which isn't too torturous but there is shit in my life in the meantime that I am really really not excited for. Like yet another dental appointment that's going to hurt like a bitch if my mother is to be believed.

Anyway, Steven has apparently not stuck his head outside the warp things again, like he did earlier
  • edited 2016-01-11 08:26:42
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I suppose I am just upset because this could have been The New MLP for Centie and I but isn't quite. For one thing she and I both went into MLP more or less blind. The timing was right for SU, but I got off track and now she's way ahead of me. Also, nothing else seems to fill the hole SU could.
  • edited 2016-01-11 08:27:24
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't see why it still can't be The New MLP for you two.
    Discovery.
    Also it's not new enough to be truly new. It's stale now. It's not pure and fresh.
  • I got into it like a few months ago, you're sweating details that do not need to be sweat my friend.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    It's still on the air and still has a rather active fanbase.

It peaked in popularity shockingly early, but it will be a very long time before the fanbase declines to any appreciable level.
    There's never going to be another MLP, which sucks because this show is way better.
  • Anonus said:

Also it's not new enough to be truly new. It's stale now. It's not pure and fresh.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to rule something out because of how old or new it is. Media is media and we're allowed to enjoy it whenever we want thanks to the advent of the Internet, so why not take pride in that?

You're always lamenting the whole thing where people seem to rule out old cartoons just because they're old, but that's exactly what's happening here on a smaller scale.

(I'm really not meaning to be rude or anything with this, it just sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Apologies if any feathers were ruffled.)

It's still on the air and still has a rather active fanbase.

It peaked in popularity shockingly early, but it will be a very long time before the fanbase declines to any appreciable level.

I don't know, Centie and I didn't discover it at the same time really, but could have were I not such a bumbling nitwit who was busy writing, and busy with that marathon summer semester
    Tre said:

Anonus said:

I don't think it's necessarily fair to rule something out because of how old or new it is. Media is media and we're allowed to enjoy it whenever we want thanks to the advent of the Internet, so why not take pride in that?

You're always lamenting the whole thing where people seem to rule out old cartoons just because they're old, but that's exactly what's happening here on a smaller scale.

(I'm really not meaning to be rude or anything with this, it just sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Apologies if any feathers were ruffled.)
    I'm not ruling it out, I'm lamenting a lack of replication of the MLP:FIM experience, which probably couldn't be replicated anyway despite this show being better because it will never happen again
    anyway, Steven found a green ball that is probably Peridot, and nearly died in space
  • In that case, it may be better just to think of it as its own Thing and a Thing for now instead of trying to fit it into a category defined by a completely different show years ago.

Only in the cases of spiritual successors are pieces of entertainment meant to fill the spaces left by other pieces of entertainment, and SU isn't meant to be one for FiM, so...
    Nah that's not what I meant. I meant the magic of the FIM experience, which probably related to me not leaving the house regularly in 2011 and being, in hindsight, lonelier than I realized. The me of 2015-16 is not such and will never be that naïve again, thus meaning there will never be another FIM experience. My life is too boring for that now.
    Peridot sounds like she has a frog in her throat
    She isn't voiced by Tara Strong

But I do wonder why this show has so few big-name VAs. Other than Dee Bradley Baker, that is. Budget?
  • Might be the "diamonds in the rough" factor at work.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Estelle is probably enormously expensive as it is.
    MachSpeed said:

Estelle is probably enormously expensive as it is.

oooooooooh hadn't thought about that
  • Anonus said:

She isn't voiced by Tara Strong

But I do wonder why this show has so few big-name VAs. Other than Dee Bradley Baker, that is. Budget?
    Certainly not that, SU has an enormous budget.

Couple reasons I imagine, the show has very naturalistic, breathy voice acting, presumably by choice, and when you're in the business for a long time it's probably harder to do that without trying too hard for it to be effective.

On top of that, one of their main VAs is Estelle, also a pop musician, whose time is probably very valuable. They also tend to get musicians for guest roles, most famously Nicki Minaj as Sugilite.
  • edited 2016-01-11 09:04:24
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Jane said:

Couple reasons I imagine, the show has very naturalistic, breathy voice acting, presumably by choice, and when you're in the business for a long time it's probably harder to do that without trying too hard for it to be effective.

I think that this is the main reason Tara Strong gets so much work.
    that makes sense

I don't know, I guess on the off-chance I go into animation, I'm worried that my seeming preference for veteran VAs is somehow unusual. I know Tara Strong and Tom Kenny et al. aren't exactly hurting for work, but part of me was worried they were on the way out. And Kath Soucie rarely gets roles anymore, for some reason, and Charlie Adler has one foot out the door, focusing more on being a tutor than a voice actor.
  • speaking of Strong, she has a role on Teen Titans Go! right now, which is also a CN property, that might explain her absence.
    Incidentally, have you seen Charlie Adler's Twitter? He's a national treasure, and seeing him do his Red Guy voice on camera confirms that!
  • Anonus said:

that makes sense

I don't know, I guess on the off-chance I go into animation, I'm worried that my seeming preference for veteran VAs is somehow unusual. I know Tara Strong and Tom Kenny et al. aren't exactly hurting for work, but part of me was worried they were on the way out. And Kath Soucie rarely gets roles anymore, for some reason, and Charlie Adler has one foot out the door, focusing more on being a tutor than a voice actor.
    a lot of that is those people willingly decreasing their roles in the industry though, for various reasons.

Steve Blum for example, isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Anonus said:

Incidentally, have you seen Charlie Adler's Twitter? He's a national treasure, and seeing him do his Red Guy voice on camera confirms that!

It doesn't help that Charlie Adler's voice seems very difficult to control.

His Buster is screechy more often than not.
    That was much earlier in his career...
    Fair, fair.

Still a shame his work with TTA ended how it did, though.
    yeah...
    My long-awaited H-B reference is here.

In "Future Vision", Steven imagines Cookie Cat showing up in a Jetsons car.
    It even makes the noises, though they sound kind of muffly and not that clear.
  • Jetsons cars are pretty cool.

If not I understand, but did you know that my producer tag is partially sampled from The Jetsons?
    producer tag?
  • an audio clip I place in some of my songs as a bit of branding/bragging.

They're a semi-recent phenomenon, though Madlib had one in the early 2000s ("another Madlib invazion!")
    oh

also steven why are you on the roof?
    So he's Max's long-lost brother?

Also: Amethyst with the Spin Dash
    oh god don't tell me Evil Bear 2 is a Five Nights at Freddy's reference
    The big pumping heart reading "LARS" reminds me strongly of how I imagine Marvel to look within the Disney Machine
    "The Maheswarans think I'm a responsible parent, and I've got to maintain that image."
    Ms. Maheswaran sounds a lot like April Winchell but I don't think she is
    She rarely does voice work that doesn't end up Vaulted and thus living on primarily via unofficial means
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Our MLP:FIM experience can never be replicated because a huge part of it was our friendship developing and then evolving into love.

And you know? I'm ok with that. It was a unique experience, but a wonderful one, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I think we can still fan over Steven Universe together though. The current arc has yet to reach its climax, so if you catch up soon, we can go into that blind together.
    Jane said:

Priyanka is voiced by Mary McGlynn

alright

Our MLP:FIM experience can never be replicated because a huge part of it was our friendship developing and then evolving into love.

And you know? I'm ok with that. It was a unique experience, but a wonderful one, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I think we can still fan over Steven Universe together though. The current arc has yet to reach its climax, so if you catch up soon, we can go into that blind together.

yay

also "hey man, it's cool, I've seen your junk before"

DAMN