Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    look, I go to Dairy Queen for a goddamn ice cream cone, not for a logo
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I go there for ice cream too, but still.
    That's not an official logo
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

That's not an official logo

Nothing gets past you, Sherlock.
  • also both those after logos are definitely better imo
  • also: not to derail but can we all agree that my Uber logo is pretty (*flame emoji spam*)
    you seem to think fast food places shouldn't use good logos

also, that DQ one is a simplification of this:

• Anonus said:

you seem to think fast food places shouldn't use good logos

no, i think that they should use good logos, like those logos that burger king and dairy queen are currently using
  • basically minimalism is a lame trend and it will date poorly

basically minimalism is a lame trend and it will date poorly

that Burger King logo above is a simplification of one they had been using since 1969, and the DQ logo had been in use for decades before the swooshes were added

also, most of the longest-standing, best logos are minimalist/simple
  • and i know what the old dairy queen logo looks like

we have a reeeealllly old one (actually one of the first IIRC?) near me and it has never updated, it's pretty rad

ive been meaning to take a picture of it but i never get around to it
    I had a reaaaally old one around here, but it has since been renovated.
  • I feel like I would like Dairy Queen more if the one we had back home wasn't horribly unsanitary.

Like, there's almost always sticky shit all over the tables, and we've caught the lady behind the counter drop trays and stuff behind the counter then use them anyway.  It would probably get shut down the moment a health inspector walked in incognito.
  • I can see where both of the arguments here are coming from. The modern variants of the DQ and BK logos, while not as inherently timeless as their predecessors, do have a more contemporary feel to them that justified their existence when they were introduced (2007 and 1999, respectively) and, to a degree, still have that today, and even if they're not the best logos around they still fit in with their brands.

In the case of BK, you guys are probably already familiar with what I'd like to happen. I will mention that the post-'07 Dairy Queen logo does remedy the original version's asymmetry, and on the whole would probably be an objective improvement if not for the unnecessary swooshes.

(I think we can all agree that the recent Wendy's makeover is great, though.)

I still don't know what was wrong with Wendy's's old logo.
  • in my mind burger king is like, the most 90s thing, so for them not to have a terminally 90s logo would just kinda ruin the whole thing

in my mind burger king is like, the most 90s thing, so for them not to have a terminally 90s logo would just kinda ruin the whole thing

Burger King was so much better back then. They keep trying to fix what isn't broken.

Also, the removal of yellow from Wendy's's palette makes me sad. They used it in a way that made them stand out from the crowd.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-11-28 23:57:46
    Anonus said:

I still don't know what was wrong with Wendy's's old logo.

[SUBJECTIVITY INBOUND]

It wasn't sending the right message. The chunky serif and the holding shape was more "old Western saloon" than "fast food", which might've been good for the brand at one point but not so much now. [sideways glance at Roy Rogers]

At the same time, there were too many elements at play. The holding shape, two taglines, the name of the restaurant itself, the mascot, two registered trademark symbols and a visual ornament are there almost all the time when they don't need to be. Sure, the chain is best known for and would be incomplete without its "Old-Fashioned Hamburgers®", but it wasn't doing the rest of its modern menu any favors by continuing to make that the priority, and shoving "QUALITY IS OUR RECIPE" above Wendy's head was basically asking for that part to be ignored. Wendy herself also kinda gives off an odd vibe by being colored in the hair and clothing but not the face, and the full mark absolutely does not work in one color.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always figured the reason for old Wendy having #FFFFFF white skin was to reduce the number of colors that would need to be printed. I imagine that mattered more in 1969 than it does now.

As an aside, do you want to see the worst rendering of Wendy ever?

I think they literally just took a shitty graphic off the internet and ran a lame vector conversion on it to scale it up. 
    okay yeah, "QUALITY IS OUR RECIPE" needed to go

I just wonder why they ditched the yellow. Too indistinct?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Because someone up there hates you and wants you to suffer.
    MachSpeed said:

Because someone up there hates you and wants you to suffer.

that cut deep
    also, this is a really bad time to say stuff like that to me >_>
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the old one looks really old-fashioned...hell, it even says old-fashioned.
    in its final years, they used it without the "OLD FASHIONED HAMBURGERS" part a lot, mostly because it bulked the logo up (and it said "OLD FASHIONED" which is a no-no in today's world)
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Sorry.

I don't know, man, I can barely see any differences out of the obvious. I don't know what I'm supposed to feel.
  • re: Wendy's and yellow: I'd imagine they dropped it because it drew one too many comparisons to that Golden-Arch-tusked elephant in the room.

Like it or not, they basically had a lock on the "fast food + red and yellow" combination as a permanent brand element, even if they weren't the only ones actively using it. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    imo

BK: before definitely better than after, what even is that, some kind of space thing?  minimalism definitely works in this case

DQ: before ugly, after ugly with pointless stripe things just kinda pasted over the top, they don't look like they belong there?

naney's Uber: a marked improvement

Wendy's: before really nice, really distinctive old timey kinda, i like it a lot, after is ok but sorta meh
    also the BK after looks like a fried egg

i know what it's supposed to be but it just makes me think of a fried egg, every time i see it

I think they literally just took a shitty graphic off the internet and ran a lame vector conversion on it to scale it up.
    i think wendy just hit the bong a few too many times
  • The current Burger King logo is incredible.

I have no strong opinions on DQ's because there aren't any of those around here.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tre said:

re: Wendy's and yellow: I'd imagine they dropped it because it drew one too many comparisons to that Golden-Arch-tusked elephant in the room.

Like it or not, they basically had a lock on the "fast food + red and yellow" combination as a permanent brand element, even if they weren't the only ones actively using it. 
    Now I want to know why pretty much every big burger chain uses red and yellow as their colours.
  • Warm colors, particularly red, stimulate our weirdo brains to make us hungry.
    Jane said:

The current Burger King logo is incredible.

it's an egg

hold on, i can prove it
  • (Maybe. There's a bunch of talk about such a phenomenon but only a little bit of empirical evidence.)
    . . . i would be able to prove it if imgur was not garbage
    oh here we go

see

an egg
  • edited 2015-11-28 17:06:26
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Burger
    Egg
    Burgegg
    Bregg
    Begg
  • Tre said:

re: Wendy's and yellow: I'd imagine they dropped it because it drew one too many comparisons to that Golden-Arch-tusked elephant in the room.

Now I want to know why pretty much every big burger chain uses red and yellow as their colours.
    evocative of fries and ketchup
    Ketchup is the condiment of the devil.
  • By that logic I suppose me and a good portion of the American population are emissaries of Satan.

That actually explains a lot.
    Well, Americans also drink coffee, which is the drink of the devil, so!

...Conclusion: Fast food restaurants are hellgates. Maybe that explains the red and yellow.
    HEINZ

HE Iouble Nockey Zticks

Wake up America!!!
    It's funny though, cause even local burger chains use red and yellow. Like so.

lolburgerstar
    burger + star just makes me think of:

...which is yet another red and yellow fast food chain. Hmm.
    incidentally, i can't ever look at the Carl's Jr star without seeing Marshie the Marshmallow's face

Tachyon said:

lolburgerstar

please do not insult the land of garlic mayo