Live-Action Television

Because sometimes you just want to watch something that's not a cartoon.

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.

I could blog about the stuff I'm watching. Or write some reviews. Or something. There are options. I will certainly talk about it here.

Also, do we have a regular TV thread? I can blather about Gilmore Girls and how I love Paris and Lane and Jess despite their often terrible decisions.

I'm curious what you think about the Logan years of the show.

I know they're not very well-liked by people.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I could blog about the stuff I'm watching. Or write some reviews. Or something. There are options. I will certainly talk about it here.

Also, do we have a regular TV thread? I can blather about Gilmore Girls and how I love Paris and Lane and Jess despite their often terrible decisions.

I'm curious what you think about the Logan years of the show.

I know they're not very well-liked by people.

The last year doesn't count, except for maybe the very end and the bit where Jess shows up again for five minutes. Also Sherry chickening out and leaving Christopher with the kid made perfect sense despite the fact that nobody else was much in character that year. At least, not consistently. They really had no idea what to do after Amy Sherman-Palladino left.

However.

Logan was an interesting character and the second most interesting of the three boyfriends. And I have no qualms with much up to that last season on a writing level—when someone does something stupid, they're doing it because of real people reasons and you understand it even if you think, "God, stop that!"

To be fair, they did always nail the fact that Christopher's presence makes Lorelai do weird, dumb things that she normally would not do. That's established in the first season. But they leaned on that private idiot ball *hard* later on.

I'm currently nearing the end of the fourth season on my rewatch. I forgot about the new guitarist. I like him. Also Paris' affair with Asher, which is mortifying on so many levels.

star trek

Need to get back to DS9.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have been watching Man In The High Castle.

I am up to the third episode.

I have also been watching Hannibal, thought I need to take breaks on that because it is aggressively chilly.

I didn't know media could have a temperature to the degree Hannibal does.
    How is The Man in the High Castle?
    Good so far.
    I am glad. Successful ambition is pleasing.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I only watch tokusatsu and wuxia shows so I guess I can talk about that.

There are six episodes of Romance of the Condor Heroes and I've put them off for three months.
  • I started Jessica Jones earlier and was impressed by how it manages to wrap itself up in the Marvel Universe without feeling like anything else from the company, moreso than Daredevil even. It surprised me a bit considering Melissa Rosenberg's pedigree -- she adapted Twilight to the big screen as a writer, all 5 films --  though if what I've seen of JJ is any indication, it's probably more the source material she had to work with that was troublesome than anything else.

Also, it managed to make me find good ol' David Tennant to be a creepy motherfucker with just 1.5 episodes and mostly obscured/partial shots, which alone is an achievement.
  • I am distressed that Last Week Tonight isn't airing any more new episodes til February :(
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm looking forward to this, I think. Hope it shows up on Netflix.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I just watched The Man In The High Castle.  Interesting show.  It may be the only show where someone is trying to kill Hitler and you're rooting for them to fail because nuclear war would be the result
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Good so far.

personally I think it's a good show.  but man, it must have been fucking weird to be a set designer for it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Last night's Doctor Who was really excellent

like even if you haven't been following it, if you like Doctor Who at all, i would recommend it
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Red Dwarf is a great show and the new season comes out next year
  • I'm pretty excited for the next season of Red Dwarf, especially since I enjoyed season 10 quite a bit.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    i watch a lot of pro wrestling, but I don't think that counts
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    If we're discussing talk shows like John Oliver in here, I don't see why you can't discuss pro wrestling in here.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    TNA is a joke
    TNA is a joke
    They've been better! they haven't been good, but they've been better
    Oh man

The last episode of this season of Man In The High Castle

Oh man.

This show had some pacing problems but oh man.

This season got where it was going.
    The Shannara Chronicles is unfortunately not on Netflix or Hulu, but I did remember you can watch the first four episodes just fine on the website. So, looking forward to getting around to that.

Apparently Randy won't be returning to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which also means Kimmy's sister won't either. And I can't say I care. We saw just how drastically different they were, and how incompetent or apathetic they were well enough, so hopefully Xanthippe and Charles instead get more spotlight, alongside Dong. Here's hoping I can watch Kimmy during this spring's semester, too.
    no more Sally Draper playing an angsty teenager???? boooo
    Watched the finale of Peep Show.

It has to be hard to write a satisfying finale when both of your protagonists are horrible people that are incapable of any level of personal growth.
    i am quite apprehensive about Chris Chibnall becoming Doctor Who showrunner

like i know not everyone likes Moffat but when he became showrunner he had written what were widely agreed to be some of the best episodes in the entire show (and i mean the whole thing), and while his output as showrunner has been mixed, it's included some really fantastic episodes as well as some weak ones

Chibnall has written some dire episodes (of which Torchwood's "Cyberwoman" is the worst), some interesting but *heavily* flawed ones ("The Power of Three", "42") and a whole lot of very meh ones.  His best Who-related writing was for season 2 of Torchwood, imo.

Can only wait and see, i guess.
  • Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. I think it's for the best that Moffat's leaving, but Chibnall's past work doesn't do much to inspire confidence that he'll be great. (I really liked "The Power of Three" though.)
    i felt encouraging children to be afraid of surgeons was an irresponsible move, though i know that puts me in the killjoy camp

aside from that i just didn't like how abruptly it ended, but the concept was good and Brian was great
  • Honestly I don't remember the episode that well, I just remember thinking it was great when I saw it. Maybe it doesn't hold up, idk.
    nah maybe i'm being uncharitable

or we just disagree, that's likely and reasonable
    More people should watch Review with Forrest MacNeil
  • Tachyon said:

nah maybe i'm being uncharitable

or we just disagree, that's likely and reasonable

Yeah it was just that you posted that and I was like...wait, I don't even remember how the episode ended or how surgeons got involved. My entire memory of the episode is "cubes" and that I liked it at the time.
  • edited 2016-02-16 12:05:52
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    *At the offices of Toei*

“Okay, guys. We need to costume our entire population of animal-people for a few establishing shots. And we don’t have time to make the really good stuff for absolutely everyone, and we need our main animal-person characters to look distinct from the civilians. And we don’t want it to look too creepy. Any ideas?”

“Why don’t we bulk order those rubber horse masks? Y’know, the ones from the internet?”

“You’re a genius. Here are my car keys, go home and fuck my wife.”

imageimageimage
  • I loved this one.  I mean, in a weird "it makes me really sick but we needed to know that" way.
    I watched the first episode of the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell miniseries, looks pretty good.
  • I've been really enjoying iZombie, it reminds me of Pushing Daisies with a...somewhat different tone.

It's also the most deft use of dramatic irony I've seen in a long time, and one of the only TV shows I can think of that successfully keeps this many complex storylines going at once.
    Odradek said:

I watched the first episode of the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell miniseries, looks pretty good.

I see entirely more of Norrell in myself than is probably healthy, but oh well.
    Crystal said:

The Shannara Chronicles is unfortunately not on Netflix or Hulu, but I did remember you can watch the first four episodes just fine on the website. So, looking forward to getting around to that.

Apparently Randy won't be returning to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which also means Kimmy's sister won't either. And I can't say I care. We saw just how drastically different they were, and how incompetent or apathetic they were well enough, so hopefully Xanthippe and Charles instead get more spotlight, alongside Dong. Here's hoping I can watch Kimmy during this spring's semester, too.
    Season two airs in a week! I'm so excited!
    I just finished the sixth season of The Good Wife last night.

Holy shit, that show goes in.