Internet Critic Discussion Thread

edited 2015-11-17 17:06:23 in General Media
This is a thread for people to discuss Internet critics without having to go elsewhere.

Please keep the snarking to a minimum. If you have to snark, please snark about the actual opinions of the critics, not about the fact they exist or that this thread exists.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like Phelous. He does the silly "reviewer" persona like any internet critic, but he also seems to put a lot of his genuine self into his work.
  • I don't partake of criticism material created by internet critics.
  • this is a fair review, but it definitely illuminates the differences we have in terms of taste
  • There is a video of Nostalgia Critic and Cinema Snob making fun of the Passion of the Christ for half an hour. 

It's rather amusing to watch.

this is a fair review, but it definitely illuminates the differences we have in terms of taste
    How so?
  • things he saw as flaws with the film (the whole "in a film about choices Nobody ultimately runs away from making any choice at all making him ultimately not anybody" angle) I saw as features

though he is right about how the whole infinite realities thing ultimately undermines a good chunk of the drama
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Cinema Snob did a video about Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas again because we actually need to see how bad it is.

Spoiler: It's an awful piece of shit movie padded out by Kirk Cameron talking to a guy in a car for most of its runtime
    And I am going to show it in the stream in two weeks.

How hard is the philosophy in this video? I'm hearing from some people on the internet who said they had trouble with it.
  • It's pretty easy to follow imho?
  • speaking as someone who could not get through Being and Nothingness
    Being and Nothingness is dense, that's why Schopenhauer wrote novels and plays.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

The worst part is the nearly 20 minute long dance number at the end.
    Dude, spoilers
    Ruin the whole thing why don't you
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Zeether said:

The closing credits to Inland Empire consist of a synchronised dance number to Nina Simone's nearly eleven-minute "Sinnerman".
  • Zeether said:

The closing credits to Inland Empire consist of a synchronised dance number to Nina Simone's nearly eleven-minute "Sinnerman".
    ......Adding this to my watchlist, post-haste.
    It's a really strange movie. Context is about as necessary as it is... explicable.
  • OH SINNERMAN, WHERE YOU GONNA RUN TO
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

How hard is the philosophy in this video? I'm hearing from some people on the internet who said they had trouble with it.
    i don't think it's hard, but i admit, i did have to watch it a couple of times to get it.

i'm just going to opine about this a bit.  i hope that's ok.  Because, i'm still kinda getting acclimatized to philosophy and i remember what it was like to first encounter this stuff and why someone might, i think, have trouble with that segment of the video.

i think, firstly and most obviously, the terminology is a barrier.  Kyle explained some of the terms he used e.g. 'facticity' but not others, e.g. 'subject'.  But even when a term has been explained to you, it's not necessarily possible to understand its use.  You can know how a stave works but be unable to sight-read music, and understanding mathematical symbols in principle isn't necessarily enough to read an equation and get any sense out of it.  Same principle applies with technical terms, i think.  It doesn't help that some of the terms sound very similar to one another ('being-in-itself' and 'being-for-itself' are easily confused) - nor that a lot of the terms are familiar-sounding words that we're used to just kind of passing over on our way to the actual content words in colloquial English.  Terms like "is there" and "subject" are usually not the most interesting words in the sentence.  E.g. in a clause like "this action being, in itself, significant", the most important information is that the action in question is significant.  i suspect this is the root of the mistake of interpreting philosophical writing as "meaningless" or "obfuscatory".

Secondly, though, i think most people are just not accustomed to thinking in ontological or existential terms.  Like, i confess that when i first encountered stuff about Heidegger and Dasein, i felt a bit frustrated.  Because i was thinking, ok, i'd read definitions, but i still didn't feel like that told me who or what actually *is* Dasein?  In what context does this apply, what does it actually mean?  And i think this is because this kind of metaphysical way of thinking is not taught in schools and is wholly unfamiliar to most people.  So i can easily imagine someone with no interest in philosophy, who had not encountered these ideas before, watching that video and coming away nonplussed.
    Yeah that's all fair.
  • I thought Dasein was just "no single perspective is absolute"
    No.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh hey, Phelous is doing knockoff Legos now!

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Acererak said:

I thought Dasein was just "no single perspective is absolute"

Nah.  It's explained in the video, but briefly, so i'll just elaborate a bit.  "Dasein" is German for "there-being" or "existence", but the specific sense used in philosophy is inextricable from Heidegger's philosophy.

(Disclaimer: i have not actually read Being and Time, hopefully @Baldanders will correct me if the following is inaccurate)

Basically, Heidegger was interested in ontology, the study of being.  He was attempting to develop a kind of insider's perspective on what it means to exist.  To do this, he felt it was necessary to take the perspective of a being capable of contemplating its own existence - i.e. a human individual, a "subject".  But the word "subject" already had certain connotations in philosophy, baggage that Heidegger didn't want.  He wanted to distance himself from the philosophies of predecessors, especially Descartes, and from biology, anthropology, and purely subjective accounts of human experience.  So he came up with his own term, "Dasein".

What sets Dasein apart from earlier notions of "subject" or "human being" is that it is characterized by how it relates to surrounding people and objects, its openness to the world around it.  There is no inner self, human beings are not these isolated blobs of consciousness inhabiting human-shaped organic machines; Dasein exists in the world, and is continually interacting with it, shaping and shaped by it.
    That is actually a very good summary.

I posted a Todd review, for people who enjoy him.
    Todd's 1991 Worst Hits countdown is great.

Also, fuck Bryan Adams.
    A final note on that Shawn Mendes... thing: At least when you have a pop-emo track about getting dumped, the metaphors show some creativity and the delivery some conviction. This song is just a storm of really bad clichés (some funnier than others) delivered in a teenybopper Devendra Banhart imitation (no, really) over a reasonably engaging chord progression that is utterly wasted.

I don't know how many people here are Cinema Snob fans, but, uh, this is worth watching.
    I don't follow Cinema Snob but I enjoy watching his stuff from time to time

And hey, I could use some Christmas-themed crap in my life right now
    That was probably the creepiest thing he's ever reviewed.
    Having now actually watched the video...where does Brad find this stuff??

Ugh, this movie looks ugh
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I honestly didn't realize the film was so rapey before I watched that review.

I assumed it was just a fairly light comedy up until now.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    lol, a doofy rehash of Overboard

A video essay on youtube that doesn't rely on stupid jump cuts, annoying voices, and forced humor! Hooray!

This was probably Todd's best video.
  • edited 2015-12-15 22:50:51
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm still partial to this one myself:

New Todd for those that care:

The first minute of that video is Content Consumery as fuck.
    Okay he's talking about the music, it's fine again.
    http://channelawesome.com/christmas-with-the-kranks-nostalgia-critic/

Usually NC's gimmicks wear thin pretty fast but I thought this one was pretty well done, in part because he shows a decent awareness about how much his show has changed over the years...

The first minute of that video is Content Consumery as fuck.

I knew you'd say that.
    I am nothing if not predictable.

New Todd
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I still think what Drake did to D.R.A.M. is pretty scummy, and that effects how much I can enjoy the song.

good review, though!
  • watching this review

has made me realize two things:

1. maybe todd in the shadows is not intolerably annoying

2. I really do hate Adele's voice. holy fuck.
    Oh god, what did she do.

Naney's cat sixth senses never lie, he must have sensed evil again.