Watching 2001 a space odyssey for the first time

Need something as the background noise while I tune some decks so... ye lets do this

Comments

• its been like 2 minutes and only blackness is my netflix broken???
  • THERES A LOGO OKAY I DONT HAVE BUSTED INTERNET
  • ive seen this shit parodied so much its weird knowing so many key scenes already and not knowing the source fully
    eyyyy that thing I saw in futurama
  • another note HOW THE HELL DID SO MANY JACES GET IN MY DECK
  • this has been at least a half hour of monkey bullshit
  • OH FINALLY SPACE 
  • the pacing is so slow im glad im doing this while deckbuilding

I couldnt watch this without doing something else
  • is this just one huge montage of shit in space set to classical music
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Zeico said:

another note HOW THE HELL DID SO MANY JACES GET IN MY DECK

Deagle Nation got a hold of your cards
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Zeico said:

this has been at least a half hour of monkey bullshit

yeah it kinda felt that way when i read the book too
  • I missed.... something while messing with my cards because people talked and now theres creepy shit on the moon???? 
    anyway niv's getting a complete overhaul like half the deck is getting cut 
  • HALFWAY THROUGH THIS AND WE FINALLY MEET HAL JESUS
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Zeico, or as he is known in some circles, Confused Zeicthew.
  • Zeico, or as he is known in some circles, Confused Zeicthew.

One. She* 
    two... i got bored and am now adding booze to this mix 
  • Zeico said:

another note HOW THE HELL DID SO MANY JACES GET IN MY DECK

Deagle Nation got a hold of your cards
    who dat?
  • oh no hals a robutt and perfect bla balablbla i really have no ieda whats going on 

also isnt there a thign whreer HALS really no malfunctioning and shit????? idk where the post was 

oh yea that would be needed if watching in a theatre
    i'd have probably fallen asleep
    what's actually going on with HAL is explained in the book.
  • Calica said:

can you elaborate I dont plan on reading the book anytime soion
  • edeeyyyyyy
    hals was made jan 12 1992
    im older than tehmm
    Zeico said:

Calica said:

can you elaborate I dont plan on reading the book anytime soion
    it's been a while, but it was roughly: he was programmed to be completely honest and open with everyone, but he was ordered by the nasa people to not tell the crew the real purpose of the mission.  this was a contradiction, which HAL decided to resolve by getting rid of the crew.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I never get why people feel the need to "understand" this movie

I mean, you can, but why? It's better when you don't understand it.
    i've never seen the movie, just read the book, so *shrug*
  • conclusion: I have no idea what the fuck transpired

also i revamped my niv mizzet deck 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Zeico said:

conclusion: I have no idea what the fuck transpired

success
  • edited 2015-11-16 13:27:59
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Explanation: The black monoliths were put in place by aliens in order to spark evolutionary changes—they wanted to ensure that other species rose to their same level of intelligence as them. 

In the prehistoric past, the monolith influenced humanity's ape ancestors to start using tools. When humanity mastered space travel, they discovered the monolith on the moon—at which point it directed them towards the final monolith orbiting Saturn / Jupiter (I don't remember, and I think it differed between the book and the movie). The thing with HAL happened on the trip out, simultaneously the most comprehensible and least relevant part of the whole story. The final monolith activated a stargate, transporting Dave to the aliens' home. The aliens tried to make a space for Dave that would feel familiar to him, but it just wound up being creepy and weird instead. Then Dave became a Starchild, the "next stage" of human evolution.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Bowman is transported through interstellar space by the monolith before being slowly drained of his energy and identity before being remade as The Star Child, a being which can transport itself across space without any need for a space-faring mechanism, which then returns to Earth. It’s implied that this evolution guided by the monolith is the next stage for humanity, just as the monolith catalyzed the evolution of early apes into homo sapiens.

It’s all in the novel. Honestly, 2001 is one of the most straightforward stories ever. All of the answers and explanations are right there in Arthur C. Clarke’s novel
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

USE THEM TOGETHER
    USE THEM IN PEACE
  • edited 2015-11-16 21:03:04
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    By the way, if you're wondering about how the Stargate effect was made: linked because Vanilla hates me

After 2001, everyone and their dog had a slit-scan rig like this. Abel hooked theirs up to a minicomputer, and did some things that looked very much like they could have been done on an Amiga 10-15 years later. A bigger version that could do tilt and such was what R/GA used for the credits on Superman.