The Landfill of the Heapers' Hangout (contains Fossilmaiden's Punnery)

Comments

• well that was a thing
  • favicon(MyAnimeList)≈favicon(The Weather Channel)
  • I've seen 9 episodes of this and nothing seems noticeably bad except the male gaze, but given that the story is told from the (heterosexual) male main character's perspective, that's kinda justified.
  • edited 2015-11-10 13:41:50
    No, you see, I'm going to surmise that you're mistaking "doesn't fit what I want it to be" for "bad".
  • I'm not judgemental like you, though.

I don't call things bad.

I just say I don't enjoy them.

My rating scale is entirely subjective and I make no secret of it.

It's just that I let you all know that all y'all's rating scales are also entirely subjective.
  • You can take your tastes and shove it.

There is no definitive list of "must-watch" series.

Okay, maybe there would be if I were a media studies student.

But I'm not.  I'm here to have a fulfilling experience for myself.  I don't have to care about what y'all think, and I shouldn't care about what y'all think.

Any comments y'all make about what series are how and like what and stuff only matter to me to the extent of suggesting whether I'd like it or not.

Those among you who call yourselves elitists are the stupidest and/or most obnoxious of the bunch.

Well, okay, you tie in obnoxiousness with those people who can't shut up about how much they like the creepyshit.

Yeah, I put you on their level.  Suck it.
  • Oh you know what one of the stupidest comments is?  "It doesn't do anything new" = "bad".

No, it doesn't need to be innovative.  It only needs to tell a good story.  The only reason YOU think it's bad is because you've watched far too much stuff and have gotten sick of stuff and want something new for novelty value.

Same with those people who say that Mega Man games shouldn't look or feel like those NES "clones" anymore.

There is nothing wrong with that formula.  That formula produces good, solid games.

I would not mind if Capcom keeps producing one every year of those for the rest of my life.
  • old =/= bad

outdated =/= bad

frequently used =/= bad
  • JUDGING EVERYTHING ON THE SAME BASIS
  • Oh you know what one of the stupidest comments is?  "It doesn't do anything new" = "bad".

No, it doesn't need to be innovative.  It only needs to tell a good story.  The only reason YOU think it's bad is because you've watched far too much stuff and have gotten sick of stuff and want something new for novelty value.

Same with those people who say that Mega Man games shouldn't look or feel like those NES "clones" anymore.

There is nothing wrong with that formula.  That formula produces good, solid games.

I would not mind if Capcom keeps producing one every year of those for the rest of my life.

so yeah.

don't watch too much stuff at once.

take a break or something.
  • No, you're not supposed to watch all of an entire season chart's worth of series all at once.

okay, fine, i'm not supposed to tell you what to do.

but given that you keep telling me what to watch, it's only fair.
  • it's MY enjoyment
    it's MY interpretation
    it's MY relationship to the work

it's fiction and in fiction i can afford to be totally self-centered and see things the way I like to see them and I get to create my own reality as inspired by the portrayals of others

in real life i have to be objective and even-handed and considerate and open-minded and evidence-based and keep my mission in focus

not so in fiction

in fiction i get to do whatever i want

that is the beauty of it
  • with fiction i get to decide when to experience it and how to experience it

i don't need to listen to your exhortations about when or how i should or shouldn't enjoy something
  • "your site's down that's good amen" - soldier
  • edited 2015-11-10 22:31:34
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Are...are you sure you want that whole thing out in the open like that?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It is what it is. I feel I was bullied. It expires in 1 week. *shrug*
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well...the "non-public gossip" thread might be a better place for this than the Landfill, I think.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    oh...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Miko, i think CA is right.  i had no part in that, so i'm just saying this as a neutral party.  i think you might regret posting that publically, and would recommend not doing so.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm going to scrub it because it includes your NickServ pass, and you pasted it as a guest
  • edited 2015-11-10 22:38:54
    moved to other thread
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    oh wait it's already gone, nvm
    And no, i didn't read all of it.  Just enough to realize where it was going.
  • edited 2015-11-10 22:35:35
    Tachyon said:

And no, i didn't read all of it.  Just enough to realize where it was going.

It was just a chatlog and sorta random at various points.

Unfortunately, no summary was provided.  So it was basically left as-is.  Data extraction was left as an exercise to the reader.
  • edited 2015-11-10 22:43:06
    (unrelated)

la ti do ti ti-la ti do
    qui-gon jin in the-money bin

This snippet was brought to you by Misremembering Song Lyrics And Trying To Fill Them In By What Might Sound Right According To The Rhythm.
    i think Undertale was exactly what i needed at the moment

it's rare that any work of fiction, much less a video game, makes me *feel* to that extent, and it's kept my imagination occupied

i'm sad it's over, but i don't want to upset Flowey, so for now, at least, i'm going to leave it alone
  • still not quite sure what undertale means to me, besides what i've already talked about in my own thread
  • i think it will stick with me for a long time though
    i did the true pacifist ending, didn't know what to expect

i admit, i looked at an LP of the genocide ending, but this was a mistake

Spoiler:
    the game actually calls you out for watching a genocide LP

i felt like utter scum for it

i'm sorry Flowey!  i just wanted to know what people were referencing!

but the pacifist story was a moving experience, it uplifted me

but it also critiqued what i think are some of my nastiest attitudes and made me rethink some things, which i am still mulling over
  • i havent watched one, im pretty sure i never will

i've looked on the wiki though and puzzled things out from art people have made
  • edited 2015-11-10 23:56:28
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I watched one, and I don't think I regret it, if only because it allowed me to understand why people like Sans so much.
  • edited 2015-11-11 00:08:38
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm sort of torn, because if you care about the characters, you *do* get to see other sides to them by watching that playthrough

Sans at his most furious, Papyrus at his kindest, Undyne at her most heroic, Flowey at his most tragic

but if you feel for those characters, you don't want to see them die

in a way i wonder if there's no real point in trying to experience that ending second-hand

that many kills in, the game concludes that guilt-tripping isn't enough, and starts trying to find other ways to make the experience unpleasant

at that point, it's taken as a given that the player don't feel for the characters or story anymore, which is a depressing thought
  • edited 2015-11-11 00:08:09
    incidentally, i have NEVER been more angry with a video game character, or any fictional character that i can recall, than i was with Flowey at a certain point in the pacifist run

if you've played the game you know exactly which point i'm referring to
  • i dont think that's it

given the absolute tediousness of a genocide run, and how easy it is to accidentally fall off the path, only someone who is really dedicated and wants to know more would be willing to do the whole damn thing

it's trying to punish you for wanting to know more than you should, for being willing to sacrifice characters you've grown to care about in order to merely know some more tidbits about them
  • and i do think the game goes out of it's way to let you know that there is information you are missing on the pacifist run, once you finish and go back around the world checking stuff out it's pretty obvious that there's more stuff going on with Chara and Sans and the backstory as a whole than you were able been able to find
  • This sounds like very good integration of gameplay with experiential narrative.
  • edited 2015-11-11 00:15:40
    (unrelated)

"I've got so much style!  I'm so cool!  Yeah, baby!"

No, get out
  • Glenn, you're the only person I know who uses a forum to subtweet people.
  • It's actually not any particular person.  Just a reaction to a certain perception that's sort of an average of multiple people.

(unrelated)

"I've got so much style!  I'm so cool!  Yeah, baby!"

No, get out

i'm
    so
    fancy

you
    already
    know

i dont think that's it

given the absolute tediousness of a genocide run, and how easy it is to accidentally fall off the path, only someone who is really dedicated and wants to know more would be willing to do the whole damn thing

it's trying to punish you for wanting to know more than you should, for being willing to sacrifice characters you've grown to care about in order to merely know some more tidbits about them

and i do think the game goes out of it's way to let you know that there is information you are missing on the pacifist run, once you finish and go back around the world checking stuff out it's pretty obvious that there's more stuff going on with Chara and Sans and the backstory as a whole than you were able been able to find

that makes sense, but i'm not sure i agree, entirely

i'm not going to watch a full playthrough, but in a way, it feels too late

and a part of me feels this is sort of unfair

Flowey's dialogue, in the build up to the Sans fight, is meant, i do very much think, to criticize the kind of person who refuses to move on from a game after beating it, who strives to complete every possible route and uncover every dialogue option, and in the process becomes so familiar with the game world that it loses its ability to move them

but i don't think the desire to revisit past joys and spend time with people you care about is necessarily a bad one, and that sorta gets caught in the crossfire, as just replaying the game is discouraged

that's implicit during the pacifist run, during the Flowey battle and in Asriel's dialogue during the epilogue, but it's never more explicit than during the later parts of genocide.
  • And I'm generally making a complaint about people doing things for style rather than substance.

Substance with style as a secondary benefit, sure.

Style without substance, no.
  • Substance is what counts.

Substance with style is ideal.  It's like, gets extra credit.

Style alone doesn't cut it.
  • edited 2015-11-11 00:35:54
    Tachyon said:

at that point, it's taken as a given that the player don't feel for the characters or story anymore, which is a depressing thought

i guess i should amend this to, the late-on genocide player is assumed not to feel for the pacifist story anymore, it's no longer adequate

which *is* a depressing thought, because the pacifist story is seriously moving, whereas the game makes it very clear that if you do the genocide run, it despises you
  • i hear that flowey is even more of an asshole than kyuubey
  • the metaphorical launch of a platform series, as well as the literal launch of a satellite
  • mustafa and mustadio