somewhere in my head

That one Phil Collins song reminds me of Lost Painting from Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Publicly shame me for thinking this

Comments

• i have never listened to Phil Collins but he has a distinctive snare drum sound so he's prolly a cool guy
  • I CAN FEEL PHIL COLLINS IN THE AIR TONIGHT

OH LORD

OH LORD
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Phil Collins gets more hate than he deserves.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Phil Collins has been involved in more good than bad, overall.

"Sussudio" is still pretty awful, though.
  • people hate Phil Collins?

why?

he's responsible for the best rapper / non-rapper collab of all fucking time

I just want to know if his natural singing voice sounds like Peter Gabriel, or if he just never saw fit to stop doing that impression.
  • people hate Phil Collins?

why?

actually do listen to this
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I CAN'T DANCE

I CAN'T TALK

ONLY THING 'BOUT ME IS THE WAY I WA-ALK

people hate Phil Collins?

why?

He's associated with Genesis deciding to "sell out" by becoming a pop band.

It's more complicated than that, but music fans.

I think he gets a bad rap

• Genesis were a prog-rock band so I can't imagine they lost anything good in the transition.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't know you
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    so mad rn
    :I
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Genesis were a prog-rock band so I can't imagine they lost anything good in the transition.

Do you intentionally say these things to insult and annoy people? I mean, if it were clear that this was a joke, I would be fine with it, but it really isn't.

I'm not even that crazy about either phase of Genesis, and I do think Phil Collins gets a bad rap, but still.
  • Genesis were a prog-rock band so I can't imagine they lost anything good in the transition.

Do you intentionally say these things to insult and annoy people? I mean, if it were clear that this was a joke, I would be fine with it, but it really isn't.

I'm not even that crazy about either phase of Genesis, and I do think Phil Collins gets a bad rap, but still.
    it was an attempt at deadpan humor. Evidently it didn't work.

And my goodness, I did not expect there to be such a strong presence of Genesis fans on this forum.
  • protip: deadpan humor works best when it doesnt look like something one might already say
    I am sorry.

Correction: Prog fans. I know Tach loves King Crimson and Sorrow is a connoisseur of pre-'80s strangeness in general. But I do know that TNS and Section really like Genesis.

I personally have some affection for older progressive rock, but a lot of the more recent stuff that passes itself off as such—particularly prog-metal, I have to say—just kind of bores me.

Sorrow is a connoisseur of pre-'80s strangeness in general. 

and I cover the post-'80s strangeness

It's a beautiful relationship that we have.
    more into Yes, Rush and Jethro Tull, personally, but yeah, prog is great!
  • I was genuinely under the impression that Genesis had kind of a dad-rock reputation (though I couldn't tell you why, I don't think I've listened to their work beyond a few songs), but maybe that's just Phil Collins solo, I don't know.

I must say, when that's the reaction to my attempt to be silly it's not hard to figure out why I don't feel welcome here anymore.

I mean really? "Piss off"? Even if I was serious that seems rather harsh to me.
    naney said:

protip: deadpan humor works best when it doesnt look like something one might already say

so I have that kind of reputation now

well OK.
  • yeah, I've read through that sort of old-hat dismissal of prog rock one too many times before, please 'scuse me for that tinge of causticity >_>
    prog is a genre that's been abused to hell and back by critics, so its fans may be a bit quick to slap down anyone who seems to be insulting it.
  • prog is a genre that's been abused to hell and back by critics, so its fans may be a bit quick to slap down anyone who seems to be insulting it.

so has like, everything I listen to.
  • edited 2015-11-03 06:17:01
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Yeah, I apologize for my comment there, too. I genuinely worry about you, and I wish I could show that properly.

After making my last post, I'm also wondering if "post-1980s weirdness" actually covers me, or if my weirdness is another brand...
    well then, there's some common ground!

I was genuinely under the impression that Genesis had kind of a dad-rock reputation (though I couldn't tell you why, I don't think I've listened to their work beyond a few songs), but maybe that's just Phil Collins solo, I don't know.

Later Genesis does, for the same reasons Collins' solo work does, fairly or not.

But yeah, it sounded a little too much like things people say in earnest, so it was an immediate hackle-raiser for some people here, even if stepping back it is clear that you probably do not think that.
  • I am sorry.

Correction: Prog fans. I know Tach loves King Crimson and Sorrow is a connoisseur of pre-'80s strangeness in general. But I do know that TNS and Section really like Genesis.

I personally have some affection for older progressive rock, but a lot of the more recent stuff that passes itself off as such—particularly prog-metal, I have to say—just kind of bores me.
    Honestly, while I enjoy most early Genesis, most of my affection for them comes from the albums "Wind and Wuthering" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", even if Lamb Lies Down is one of the few albums I can say goes over my head musically. If I'm picking a prog band I love above others from that era, It would be Gentle Giant or The Dixie Dregs or maybe Can or Pink Floyd, if you count them as Prog. I would say King Crimson or Yes would be contenders too, but I haven't listened to enough of their discography.
  • are Can prog?

people call them Krautrock but honestly I'm a bit vague as to what that term actually means despite liking much of the krautrock I've heard.
    Krautrock refers to a particular wave of German progressive and psychedelic rock that emerged in the '60s and kind of continued into the early '80s. Can were definitely both progressive and psychedelic, but in different ways than a lot of their English and American contemporaries.
  • I sampled Can recently actually, but I forget what song.

Let me look it up. Should still be in my download directory since I just ripped it off of Youtube.
  • ah

a live performance of "Paperhouse" from 1971
    Live stuff from the Damo Suzuki era is always tasty.
  • edited 2015-11-03 10:08:11
    This thread has taken on a life of its own

And since idk much about music I can't really participate 8^T
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i was responding to the prog diss, not hating on Phil Collins.

Sorry if i came off as angry, i wasn't being completely serious.