Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    By the way, it looks like Vanilla's own Emotify plugin does it client-side, too; most of its guts are in a JavaScript file.
    Also, it looks like 2.2 supports emoji properly, though it also defaults to the Apple emoji.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Were you planning to upgrade to 2.2?
    I was, because it supports a few neat things we could use (like more embeddable stuff), but it's not urgent.

Also, it turns out the "Twitter emoji" support only works with wordfiltered ASCII smilies (like if you do :) or <3), not Unicode emoji. Vanilla still doesn't support trans-BMP Unicode. :P
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aww :\
    It would be amusing if you upgraded the weekend of Thanksgiving like you did last year
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Please please please please *please* don't install a thing that'll wordfilter ASCII smilies into emoji.  Please.
    Tachyon said:

Please please please please *please* don't install a thing that'll wordfilter ASCII smilies into emoji.  Please.

I have no plans to do that.

What I was wanting is to wordfilter Unicode emoji into Twitter-style PNG graphics, but I seem to be in the minority there so I'll just handle it with a userscript on my end.
    Ah ok.  It was just Lee's post worried me.

my stance is i basically want WYSIWYG to be WYSIWYG?  like i wouldn't really mind if there was code to generate emojis (text or png) on the html side, but i like having the option to not do that
  • edited 2015-11-02 00:15:05

Tachyon said:

Thank you.

Tachyon said:

What I was wanting is to wordfilter Unicode emoji into Twitter-style PNG graphics, but I seem to be in the minority there so I'll just handle it with a userscript on my end.
    I'm actually working on a way to get twemoji going here, but it involves writing a plugin (which will also handle the HTML-ENTITIES conversion). I'm not sure how happy it will be with using the Twemoji CDN, but if I can get that to work, it'll make things a bit easier.
    One thing you can't do with graphical emoji is change their colours.
    ...oh, I see! You're writing a plugin so that you can port it easily when we eventually upgrade to 2.2 and beyond instead of having to rewrite it for each new version.
  • edited 2015-11-02 02:02:04
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, basically. That and there's no good way to insert custom JS into Vanilla without using a plugin.
    Tachyon said:

One thing you can't do with graphical emoji is change their colours.

The thing is, iOS, Android, and OS X all render emoji in full color by default. Windows is the odd one out with the monochromatic fallback rendering.

(Oddly, Windows 8 and later do include color emoji, but for some reason web browsers don't seem to make use of them.)
    Well idk what i'm talking about i guess.

Everything i know about emoji i learned in the last 24 hours and already i have OPINIONS
  • edited 2015-11-02 02:10:03
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Tachyon said:

Thank you.
    Same.

Also while I don't care for this (more specifically, am not a fan), I wouldn't care way or the other long as you could turn them off. I read the initial question with the assumption that you can't turn it off, see.
    That's a good idea, actually.

@lee4hmz: would it be possible for your plugin to have, like, a checkbox in the user preferences?
    There may be a way of doing that, but I'm still very new at writing plugins, so I'll have to see.
    the checkbox idea would be very cool and appreciated, providing it's feasible
    it's just, like

really hard for me to imagine looking at that and thinking, 'yeah, no reasonable person could be irritated by this'
    i'm overdoing this and my hypothetical emoji-obsessed future self may regret these posts
    I can't see anyone other than, like, a 13-year-old actually wanting (let alone using) one of those, but it seems pretty harmless in and of itself
    right, i still forget that there exist people who are younger than me but old enough to use the internet
  • Tachyon said:

right, i still forget that there exist people who are younger than me but old enough to use the internet

10 year olds are internet users too!!!!!!!!!!

they deserve a voice!!!!!!
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Tachyon said:

10 year olds are internet users too!!!!!!!!!!

they deserve a voice!!!!!!
    Not according to coppa they don't
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Hey Calica can you bring back Anton Yelchin?