ITT: We discuss logos

TreTre
edited 2014-06-11 21:12:02 in Design
Because I haven't seen a thread like this here and I figured why not.

That said, the topic is now AMD. Arrow or A? Discuss. 

Tagged:

Comments

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    A-rrow. :3
  • edited 2012-02-19 18:57:12
    Touch the cow. Do it now.

Well then.

Logos is an important term in philosophy, psychology, rhetoric and religion. Originally a word meaning "a ground", "a plea", "an opinion", "an expectation", "word," "speech," "account," "reason," it became a technical term in philosophy, beginning with Heraclitus (ca. 535–475 BC), who used the term for a principle of order and knowledge.

Ancient philosophers used the term in different ways. The sophists used the term to mean discourse, and Aristotle applied the term to refer to "reasoned discourse" or "the argument" in the field of rhetoric. The Stoic philosophers identified the term with the divine animating principle pervading the Universe.

After Judaism came under Hellenistic influence, Philo (ca. 20 BC–AD 50) adopted the term into Jewish philosophy. The Gospel of John identifies the Logos, through which all things are made, as divine (theos), and further identifies Jesus as the incarnation of the Logos.

Although the term "Logos" is widely used in this Christian sense, in academic circles it often refers to the various ancient Greek uses, or to post-Christian uses within contemporary philosophy, Sufism, and the analytical psychology of Carl Jung.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Also, that's obviously an arrow, how the fuck do you get an A out of it
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Lowercase a.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-02-24 12:23:48

Aw, I liked the old Associated Press logo. It was rhythmic. Made much more sense to me than Reuters and its ball-sunburst-doodeybopperthingy. (A nice ball-sunburst-doodeybopperthingy, but still.)

The new one... well. The type is atrocious but the red line is nice. I have to agree with Armin: it seems like it'll be a better identifier than the whole box itself. Personally, I think the white box isn't even really needed (and it gets lost on white backgrounds anyway) and it'd be better off if the logo were just the "AP" and the red line.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I always thought that was a dumb move on AP's part; the old one was more versatile.

Post has a new logo, which amends the "Post" lettering and adds a sunrise to the logo.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    First thoughts are that I like the type treatment and the reduced gloss, but I'm not so sure the sunrise was necessary.
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.

What's up with that orange thing?
  • It's the soul sucking device.
  • Walmart says it's a spark.

I say it's an inverted butthole.
  • Holy crap, it's actually appropriate to embed this video here:

• TreTre
    edited 2012-03-14 20:27:55
    I just realized that Citigroup's logo isn't just a curve over the word "Citi"

It's an umbrella, which used to be their logo before 1999 and was the logo of Travelers, the company it merged and later broke up with.

...Clever.
  • ^^^ On the subject of butthole logos...

• KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    Look at all the Starbucks
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Starbucks seems to be the clear winner, but there also seems to be six Subways.

I only counted four McDonalds.
    I didn't know you read Brand New, KJI.
  • KJIKJI
    THERE'S A FUCKING ARROW
  • edited 2012-03-17 21:57:59
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    How did you ninja me on this!?
  • KJIKJI
    Wikipedia has a new logo!

• KJIKJI
    that is the joke

• edited 2012-03-17 22:14:14
    ^^^ I've totally seen a logo like that before, but I just can't remember where (or for what) exactly.
  • KJIKJI
  • Current: from user-made to news-magazine.
  • edited 2012-05-16 03:01:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    In 1999, graphic designer, type designer, and eventual Commercial Type co-founder Paul Barnes was charged with a redesign of the ABC logo, which was never used.

I kind of dislike it on principle but it's really not that bad.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's not that bad, but I still prefer Rand's original.
  • edited 2012-05-16 03:26:34
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I feel weird about this; they were in the middle of the yellow-and-black look (the better, more circle-heavy version of it that lasted, in some form, from 1998 to 2002) at the time they commissioned this! They'd probably have had to ditch that...I still wish they'd bring it back, or at least some of its ideas.
    Is it weird that I despise the "it's made of glass!" treatment the logo's been given since 2007?
    No; it's fine in the context of the network's on-air look (which is admittedly getting tired) but I dislike that it's the "main" logo now.
    I...would agree with that assessment, more or less. The on-air look isn't bad (though it's not as good as the yellow/black one), but having the glossy rendering as the primary logo is, well...honestly it reminds me of the Strong Bad email where they make fun of logo trends.
  • Band logos:

Thoughts on some of these?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Is it bad that I started singing "YATTA, YATTA" to myself after seeing that map of midtown Manhattan?

• Aphex Twin's logo reminds me of the pair of fingers you see on a phone book.

Yeah, I really don't understand the Aphex Twin logo...if it's supposed to be something, or what...

There are only two band logos I really like.

and

metal band logos

Relevant?

Strong Bad knew where it's at
    I assume the Aphex Twin logo is supposed to be a "TA" monogram.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It always reminded me of the head of a fire extinguisher.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^Huh, now that you mention it, it does look like that.

The first thing I thought of when I saw that logo was the top half of an Olympic diver.
  • My favorite band (well, one of the two) has a pretty cool, faux-Russian one.

DIOYY 11

Death Cab for Cutie seem to change their look with every album, though they've used Futura twice (for "something about airplanes" and "PLANS"), so.
    Another logo redesign which didn't need to happen

Where are the Gap comparisons when you need them?
    Jesus Christ. Unnecessary AND hideous.
    I like Arby's even less now
  • Jesus Christ. Unnecessary AND hideous.

yeesh, indeed.
    most illegible black metal band logos
    Oh for fuck's sake, Arby's, as if the whole "GOOD MOOD FOOD" thing wasn't bad enough! :P
  • As long as Arbys' "new direction" does not include actually changing their food, I don't much care. I'm one of like five people who actually likes eating there.
  • i like arbys too