Dragons are so often evil

Comments

• kill living beings
    cos you're giant carnivorous animals
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Would you like me to carnivore you?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Only to westerners.
    MachSpeed said:

Only to westerners.

And Esfandyar had to kill one of us, and he's in an Iranian story
  • kill living beings
    Anonus said:

Would you like me to carnivore you?

no, but you would like to carnivore me. therefore, evil
    I thought you were insulting me about the nature of my diet.
  • kill living beings
    how is 'carnivorous' in isolation an insult? who ever heard of dragons grazing?
    I thought you were saying that humans found my preference for meat threatening. Even though I don't eat them!
  • @op

Because they were literally created- in Europe at least- to represent evil

/boringanswer
  • edited 2015-09-13 09:15:11
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Is every large reptile a dragon? Because then, we'd have a problem.

Also, Wikipedia tells me that Esfandyar is a hero or something. Not my area. East Asia is my area.
  • I feel resentful that St. George is portrayed as the good guy.
  • I feel resentful that St. George is portrayed as the good guy.

But paganism is evil!!!!!
  • Acererak said:

I feel resentful that St. George is portrayed as the good guy.

But paganism is evil!!!!!
    The fact that the story is used to be symbolic of the triumph of Christendom over paganism is exactly part of the reason for that resentment.
  • MachSpeed said:

Only to westerners.

eastern and western dragons are basically different creatures entirely
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    honestly i know literally nothing about Iranian folklore, but it seems to me that culture in that part of the world has more in common with Western culture than Chinese culture

consider the influence of Abrahamic religions in Europe, Christianity especially
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Dragons kill people because they're annoyed at people who whine about Blue Dragons breathing lightning

WP2_1280X1024.jpg
  • kill living beings
    Anonus said:

I thought you were saying that humans found my preference for meat threatening. Even though I don't eat them!

that is what i was saying
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    As a princess, I should probably be scared of dragons, since they have a history of kidnapping us

But I actually think they're pretty cool
  • MachSpeed said:

Only to westerners.

I've always wondered - are Chinese lung really considered dragons or were they only classified as such by Westerners?
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    It seems to be one of the inevitable problems with expressing mythology in another language with totally different concepts it needs to represent. Something will always be lost in translation.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • kill living beings
    one of my favorite bits of the pilot, honestly

or rather the later part where the truancy officer fails to explain why it's okay to kill dragons
    Odradek said:

so do dragons in the Addamsverse not have claws or breathe fire

D:
    Anonus said:

Odradek said:

so do dragons in the Addamsverse not have claws or breathe fire
    Well, I could pick up a sword, but it doesn't mean I'd have the skill or experience to fight a knight in shining armour

That dude's probably trained for years to kill dragons, what dragon can dedicate that time for knight killing training?

Just sitting there peacefully when someone breaks in looking for a fight, it can really ruin your day
    Occasionally some loon decides to try to kill me, but I tell them that real shields are much less fireproof than fiction would have them believe. And that I've got claws and they don't.

On the other hand we can't digest metal, so eating them with their armor on would be very painful
    At least with all those swords lying around you're never short of toothpicks
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

At least with all those swords lying around you're never short of toothpicks

dragon goes to unlimited blade works
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Acererak said:

I've always wondered - are Chinese lung really considered dragons or were they only classified as such by Westerners?

According to Mandarin, that's spelled as "Long."

And see, that's the thing. Western dragons are also called "Long," but so are dinosaurs. For the sake of expediency, 龙 are dragons. They look very similar, and broadly are the same sort of thing; immensely powerful, chimeric reptiles.
  • No, they're 龍.

龙 is a cheap plastic imitation.
    Go fuck yourself, it's what I got on my computer.
    oh my god no you are not going to go at it over THIS are you
    No, I'm sorry.

Thank you, Glenn, for making me feel so inadequate in my ethnicity for being raised on simplified, not even being good at that, and for finding traditional extremely daunting.

This is truly a wonderful thing you have done for me.
  • Odradek said:

Dragons kill people because they're annoyed at people who whine about Blue Dragons breathing lightning

Man, you express mild disbelief about that once and suddenly you're marked for life.
  • edited 2015-09-15 05:33:18
    Anonus said:

oh my god no you are not going to go at it over THIS are you

I'm sorry.

I'll state that St. George may have been an antagonist or even a villain in slaying the dragon, and the dominance of his religion is a load of monkey ass, and now I'll shut up.
  • Bow to your new overlord.

My Little Pony's depiction of dragons is highly inaccurate
    Lava kills us like any other creature
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Odradek said:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Occasionally some loon decides to try to kill me, but I tell them that real shields are much less fireproof than fiction would have them believe. And that I've got claws and they don't.

On the other hand we can't digest metal, so eating them with their armor on would be very painful
    Why not do what Smaug did and lay on a pile of gold and jewels for a couple centuries until they're embedded in your skin like armor?

I mean, Smaug was a jerk, but still.

• Anonus said:

But if realistic physics is at play, don't you collapse under your own weight?
    Anonus said:

Lava kills us like any other creature

also
    Tachyon said:

Wow, OK.  So the moment anyone says anything against a player race you're up in arms, but you expect me to just ABANDON MY CULTURE before you'll pull your head far enough out your privileged ass to afford some basic courtesy to any dragons who are reading?  Who might find a thread about KILLING OUR PEOPLE insensitive?

Fucking unbelievable.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Aw man, lots of early dragon ideas are based off of suchians.  If Dragons are lame, what does that make pseudosuchians?
    Acererak said:

Anonus said:

But if realistic physics is at play, don't you collapse under your own weight?
    no
    depends how big you are

dinosaurs didn't collapse under their own weight, did they?
  • kill living beings
    ddddd

they also didn't have e kslsekeoat skeletons light enough to fly

i mean, some of t hem pterosaurs did, but thye're not technically dinosaurs & were not huge like dragons generally are