1. You can't prove a negative truth

2. All truths are either positive or negative

3. Any positive truth is just a double negative truth

Therefore 4. Proving anything is impossible

Comments

• edited 2015-09-13 16:13:29
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    RIP the sciences

c. 6th century BC - 2015-09-13 at 17:02:16 (BST)
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

RIP the sciences

c. 6th century BC - 2015-09-13 at 17:02:16

nah, you don't prove anything in the sciences anyways, you just get enough evidence that the alternatives are as good as falsified

but now math is actually a science apparently :P
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i see math described as a science sometimes

i suppose it depends on your definition, i realize it's quite different from the physical sciences
  • I can see Maths being a science.

Psychology, on the other hand...
    i don't see how it's not one

i mean yeah psychology is a broad field, on the one end you have neuropsychology which is clearly biology, on the other you have philosophy of mind, Fodor and Dennett and that

it's still a scientific field in the same sense that all the social sciences are

now if you'd said psychoanalysis you'd have gotten no argument from me, but that's a different matter
    Personally, as a mathematician I don't really consider math to be a science because while there are exploratory aspects to the field that at least resemble the sciences (albeit at a much lower budget than, say, anything @Klinotaxis is doing), the things that actually gets published most of the time are proofs, which really only show up in the sciences when they're actually doing a mathematical model.

Spoiler:
    Also, I think Tools was making a joke about the quality of output in psychology
    i figured, i just kinda bristled because psychology is interesting to me

sorry Tools
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Wissenschaft
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Pretty bold statement

Can you prove it?
  • kill living beings
    Calica said:

Personally, as a mathematician I don't really consider math to be a science because while there are exploratory aspects to the field that at least resemble the sciences (albeit at a much lower budget than, say, anything @Klinotaxis is doing), the things that actually gets published most of the time are proofs, which really only show up in the sciences when they're actually doing a mathematical model.

Spoiler:
    Also, I think Tools was making a joke about the quality of output in psychology
    look, it's not my fault rats are more expensive to maintain than mathematicians. you need nutrients other than caffeine
    SUBSIDIZED HOBBYISM
  • Odradek said:

SUBSIDIZED HOBBYISM

as my grandpa always said: if you make your work your hobby, every day is a vacation

apparently he designed the machine that puts scotch tape on the rolls
    Odradek said:

SUBSIDIZED HOBBYISM

the catch is that i have to teach calculus to future engineers and worse, future doctors
  • my mom paid for part of college teaching statistics to future social workers
    naney said:

Odradek said:

SUBSIDIZED HOBBYISM

as my grandpa always said: if you make your work your hobby, every day is a vacation

apparently he designed the machine that puts scotch tape on the rolls
    It means insight wankers will be obsessively angry at you
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • what means that?