The Berenstæin/whatever the fuck Bears meme

Comments

• i dont get why you are so mad about this
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Because it's annoying, unfunny shit.
    Also it is the only reason anyone seems to want to talk about the Berenstain Bears anymore

It's like the worship of Space Jam but much, much worse
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

æ

do you want this thread to be about "æ"

æ
  • Anonus said:

You know, I don't really care either way about this subject matter, but this is incredibly hostile to whosoever happens to actually like it.

imagine this kind of response given about the stuff you like. you would have to agree, this is incredibly hostile. 
  • Anonus said:

You know, I don't really care either way about this subject matter, but this is incredibly hostile to whosoever happens to actually like it.

imagine this kind of response given about the stuff you like. you would have to agree, this is incredibly hostile. 
    p much
    Fine...
  • kill living beings
    yeah, i remember it being berenstæin
  • edited 2015-08-17 05:58:09
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ¬_¬
  • Berenstein's;Gate. 
    yeah, for real, I feel like this has, at least for the moment, ruined the Berenstain Bears
  • what is it with you and "ruining" things
    This is all anyone wants to talk about with regards to the Berenstain Bears. Not the content of the books. Not how much they liked them as kids. Just this "proof of alternate universes" stuff.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Relax.

It will all go away in a week or two.
    I hope so...
  • naney said:

what is it with you and "ruining" things

for real.
    Fandoms suck anyways.

so what if no one talks about the content if the content is good. 
  • I liked the series when I was younger. It had a nice artstyle.

...I don't think there is much room for discourse here.
    I crave acknowledgement of things...
  • Anonus said:

I crave acknowledgement of things...

Was there actually even talk of the Berenstain bears before this whole thing? if so, those conversations probably still exist and happen, they're just not mainstream. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    there was talk of the Berenstain bears before this

i can say this with certainty because i never heard of the Berenstain bears before seeing people talking about them on the internet, and yet i knew the books existed long before this recent meme/conspiracy theory/whatever
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Not gonna lie, AU, this time it just feels like you're trying to crap on other people's fun...
    It does?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kinda, yeah

If nothing else it was entertaining to me to see people pull out examples of the misspelled name in use

But you seem angry over it and I don't really understand why
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    tbf if your autistic fixation were only getting talked about because of a weird conspiracy theory thing you'd be annoyed too
    is @Anonus fixated on the Berenstain Bears?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Calica said:

tbf if your autistic fixation were only getting talked about because of a weird conspiracy theory thing you'd be annoyed too

I am just kind of annoyed by how dumb the Mandela Effect is, so I'm on Anonus's side.
    ok but surely it's at least a little bit funny that people are doing it about a specific letter in the title of a series of children's books?

to me this seems pretty harmless
    No, it's really dumb and stupid to leap to "multiple universes" as an explanation for "I misremembered this, and other people did too"
    *shrug*

i mean yeah it's clearly nonsense, idk why a little silliness is such a bad thing though, there are much more harmful conspiracy theories out there
  • edited 2015-08-17 14:45:55
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Anonus has a point, this is kinda dumb. And it would be nice to talk about the books for their merit, and not the conspiracy. It is funny how we all remember it wrong, though.

However, I clearly remember it being Berenstein. Like how I remember it being Frankenstein. And the filmmaker Eisenstein. Ber, Frank, Eis.

And the scientist Enstein.

And Berenst*in should rhyme with "dine", not " Dane". My childhood is a lie otherwise. And the Ber is pronounced as "Bear".
  • Aliroz said:

Anonus has a point, this is kinda dumb. And it would be nice to talk about the books for their merit, and not the conspiracy. It is funny how we all remember it wrong, though.

However, I clearly remember it being Berenstein. Like how I remember it being Frankenstein. And the filmmaker Eisenstein. Ber, Frank, Eis.

And Berenst*in should rhyme with "dine", not " Dane". My childhood is a lie otherwise. And the Ber is pronounced as "Bear".

We agree on the rhyme point.
  • edited 2015-08-17 14:55:53
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Unfamiliar with "the Mandela effect"; looks it up; sees the Wikipedia article:

Andrew S. Friedman, a National Science Foundation (NSF) postdoctoral fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), argues that the effect is really caused by fallible human memories, and that the notion that it is related to quantum physics is unfounded.

Weird. That’s not what I remember him saying...
    I guess my question is...what level of seriousness are we operating at here?

If people are actually, literally claiming the stein/stain thing is proof of an alternate universe, that's kind of dumb, yes.

But I figured it was just a fun way to explain away the fact that lots of people misremembered something from their childhoods...
    some mix of the two, with varying degrees of seriousness, i think
  • kill living beings
    as you know, the internet is incapable of not taking jokes too seriously.
  • æther adept
  • I guess my question is...what level of seriousness are we operating at here?

If people are actually, literally claiming the stein/stain thing is proof of an alternate universe, that's kind of dumb, yes.

But I figured it was just a fun way to explain away the fact that lots of people misremembered something from their childhoods...
    Not this specific case necessarily but I have spoken to several people in my lifetime who claimed to be from alternate universes, so the Mandela Effect is a thing that people really believe in.

At least one person claimed to be from a world with 52 US States.
    Sometimes I envy you for being more into occult and supernatural stuff than I am, Jane.

I'm too much of an Amazing Randi sometimes, aren't I?
  • Sometimes I envy you for being more into occult and supernatural stuff than I am, Jane.

I'm too much of an Amazing Randi sometimes, aren't I?
    "Just because something doesn't exist, doesn't mean it isn't real."
  • fwiw I consider James Randi to be quite an interesting fellow in his own right.
    What I like about James Randi is that he's open to the possibility of supernatural phenomena existing, he's just not convinced that anyone's proven it yet.

Which is a position I can get behind, really.
  • I think looking at such things scientifically--from a skeptical or enthusiastic point of view--is largely an exercise in frustration.

In Randi's case though, he mostly debunks people who are scamming others, which I can get behind.
    I've just had skepticism built into my mind from an early age, somehow

There was always that little part of me that thinks "that doesn't quite seem right" whenever I'm confronted with supposedly paranormal phenomena

Of course, the fact that so many such things are scams probably played into that for me...
    i'm the same, CA, more or less

actually i sometimes feel a bit envious of people who believe in a multitude of supernatural and occult things

like, i only have the one universe that i can believe in, that's got to be a more limiting, emptier existence than that of people whose ontologies include ghosts and witches and aliens and fairies and ancient astronauts and horoscopes and psychic powers and international conspiracies and cryptids and Cartesian dualism and a whole pantheon of deities with sometimes contradictory origins

i've sort of tried to build around that, recognize the limitations of my worldview, keep in mind that some beliefs that i thought were well-founded perhaps aren't quite so much as i thought they were (the philosophy of mind thing is a big assumption, for instance, since nobody really knows how consciousness works and i sure don't) . . . i think i have a fairly healthy, sceptical perspective, but it still feels kind of flat compared to people with lots of different, sometimes contradictory worlds that they can believe in, and still simultaneously believe in the material world as well
    IMHO, the Randi/Shermer/whatever form of skepticism should be prefaced with the word "paranormal" so you know what they're skeptical about.
    as opposed to, like, being sceptical of causality, for example?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    or anti-science contrarians like "climate sceptics" or "vaccine sceptics".
    Tachyon said:

as opposed to, like, being sceptical of causality, for example?

Yes
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am skeptical of causality.
This discussion has been closed.