Actual sports thread, because why not?

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    so if anyone's interested, Queen's ended today, and Murray won the singles championship

onwards to Wimbledon
    England v Norway in 10 minutes
    not been a great game so far . . . kinda hoping England will get their act together for the second half and close some of the space, right now Norway are definitely looking the more dangerous
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    What a goal!
    Bronze's, i take it?  It was fantastic, yeah.  Houghton's wasn't bad, either.

Not impressed to see them stalling in the corner for upwards of three minutes at the end there, but there you go.

Overall Norway were probably the better side tbh.  England can obviously deliver some really excellent goals, but their passing and defending was weak.

Ah well.
    That's the one!

Yeah, Norway dominated for most of the game, I think England probably got very lucky

Mind you, I think England knew that the way they were hanging out by the corner flag
  • I am glad to see the USWNT won and is moving on to play China next. The game against Colombia seemed a bit weird to me with Colombia being at such a disadvantage after their goalie got red carded (which appeared to be legit from what I saw), but I guess the US also got dinged since Holiday and Rapinoe are going to have to sit out the next game because of their yellow cards.

USA vs. China is going to actually be on network TV here, which is cool. I am looking forward to watching it on Friday.
    LW said:

USA vs. China is going to actually be on network TV here, which is cool. I am looking forward to watching it on Friday.

Yeah, it's a shame that broadcasting of it is so spotty really, I'm enjoying it
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-24 23:23:51

LW said:

Yeah, it's a shame that broadcasting of it is so spotty really, I'm enjoying it
    Well, the games that are not on Fox here have been on FS1, which I guess is not really a super obscure cable network. In some ways the broadcasting of the Women's World Cup is actually better than the 2014 Men's one for people who lack cable access since most of those games were on ESPN rather than ABC (the local channel owned by the same company).

On a sort of related note, I was really impressed by this goal (linked because embedding was disabled for it).
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Fox Sports 1 isn't super-obscure but its footprint isn't as big as ESPN's

For one thing, the Sling Television service doesn't carry it (or any other Fox-owned cable channels: no FX, no FXX, no Fox News...not that the absence of Fox News upsets me)
    and it's available in fewer households in general
    So Germany beat France on penalties.  i'd feel more sorry for Lavogez were it not for that ludicrous dive earlier in the game.

USA v China now.  Who's watching?
    and that's a goal

America leading 1-0
    the USA won and are through to the semifinals
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-27 01:32:52

Tachyon said:

So Germany beat France on penalties.  i'd feel more sorry for Lavogez were it not for that ludicrous dive earlier in the game.

USA v China now.  Who's watching?

I was, but I am super terrible at watching soccer and posting/commenting at the same time. I thought the U.S. looked pretty good. They seemed to be controlling the ball well and threatened to score more than China did (though China had some good moments, I think). I guess the U.S. was favored to win anyway though, so I am not going to get too excited yet, heh.

I sort of wanted to France to prevail in that game, but I am definitely looking forward to U.S. vs. Germany now. What do you think England's chances are against Canada?
    Not sure, but i'm feeling pretty optimistic.  England are the better team but there might not be much in it.  i think it should be a good match, and i'm hopeful England can beat them.

The USA definitely deserved that victory.  China played a good game but the play seemed to be mostly in their half and their goal attempts were weak.  And i appreciate how the US players kept up a fairly positive game right up until the end of stoppage time, that's always nice to see.
    Well that was nerve-wracking.

England beat host Canada and go through to face Japan in the semi-finals.

i hope Bardsley's OK, though.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-28 02:34:42

I am looking forward to the England/Japan game; I think it should be a good match given the way Japan has been playing so far. I get the impression from BBC's coverage of the game that England's win meant a lot for the team and for women's soccer in England (and probably all of the U.K. really) and that is cool. Having more competitive women's soccer sides can only be a good thing, I think.

I think I would probably be more excited about the USWNT's performance in the World Cup if the expectations for them were not so high. I still feel like U.S. vs. Germany should be interesting though.
    so

England and Japan level at half time, one all, both goals penalties

this may be tempting fate but i have a good feeling about this game, England are looking very strong and confident
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-07-02 00:34:20

I wish I could watch it. It seems like a bunch of the games without the USWNT in them are on cable instead of network TV here (for what I guess are sort of understandable reasons).

I thought the U.S./Germany games was pretty thrilling and I was glad to see the U.S. pull through. The U.S. got a few calls in their favor (the penalty kick probably being the biggest one), but given that they were able to score a second goal and seemed to be playing better most of the game, I do not feel like those calls determined the outcome of the game. That said, Germany is a great team and certainly deserves some credit too. The U.S. seemed to have to really elevate their play in the semi-final to be as successful as they were.
    Ouch.  Own goal by Laura Bassett during stoppage time.  That was horribly unlucky and i feel really sorry for her.

Japan win, 2-1.  England are out.
  • That is awful, I am sorry to see England's run end like that.

I kind of wanted it to at least come down to penalty kicks. I felt like England deserved that much for how well they played getting that far. Well, I guess sports can be like that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you lose in a really frustrating way. Given the way the Packers lost in the NFC Championship game last season, I definitely know how that last one feels.
  • I am glad that Japan won because IIRC they also call it soccer.

This is the pettiest of reasons but I need some way to be invested in some sport, don't I?
    just for that remark i will be hoping for a Japan victory on Monday
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Japan has an unfair advantage because they have Kamen Riders in their soccer
    England beat Germany 1-0 for the bronze medal.  It was a good match, if a little short on goals, and i'm glad they finished on a high.

Meanwhile in tennis Gael Monfils has lost to fellow Frenchman Gilles Simon - as expected, but Monfils was one of the most entertaining players to watch imo so i'm a little sad about that.  Anyone else been following Wimbledon?  i think the most interesting match i've seen so far this tournament was Serena Williams vs Heather Watson - at one point Watson was 2 breaks up and Williams was really having to work hard, although she won in the end.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    speaking of own goals, it was an own goal that knocked the Caps out of the playoff this year >.<
  • edited 2015-07-05 17:13:53
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    World cup final tonight (or today, depending on your time zone)!  USA vs Japan.

The teams have an ongoing rivalry - Japan beat America 3-1 on penalties in the 2011 world cup final, but America beat Japan 2-1 in the London Olympics and won the gold.

Should be good!
    I'm watching the match right now!

Shame about England, but coming 3rd when the other 3 semi-finalists were the reigning world champions and the top 2 teams in FIFA rankings is pretty good going!
    What a goal! What a goal!

Who do Japan think they are, Brazil?
    be fair Japan *are* putting up more of a fight than Brazil against Germany, although a wet sponge would put up more of a fight than that

the one goal they had was a good goal, and they got in a good attempt afterwards, too

it won't save them
    but case in point

this is more interesting
    ok yeah they're doomed
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    so kamen rider didn't suit up for them i see
  • Tachyon said:

battle of the only two large countries that call it soccer
  • USA USA USA!
    Congrats!

Congrats!

incidentally because i am a pedantic git

Tachyon said:

"Soccer" is the main term in Canada and South Africa; it's also an accepted alternative to "football" in Ireland and the Philippines, and more controversially in Australia (where they're trying to get people to stop calling it "soccer").

Incidentally, the term originated as Oxford slang.  You had the two sports, Association football and Rugby football, so they nicknamed them "soccer" and "rugger".
    Canada is indeed a very large country

It was a pretty good game, I have to say. Not what I was expecting at all, but hey! Stayed interesting at least!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It seems like every World Cup has a thing associated with it. 1994 was the first Cup in the US, 1999 had The Shirt, 2006 had The Headbutt, 2010 had The Vuvuzela...

I'm wondering if this World Cup will have that long bomb associated with it. (This was also the first women's final to have a hat trick, and it's also the third win for the US—another first—so there's those as well.)
    Possibly! There are worse things to be remembered for
    Murray v Federer today!
    And Federer won.

That was a tense match.  The second set had me on the edge of my seat.  But Federer performed as expected, better even, and Murray just couldn't match his serve.

So Federer will be playing Djokovic in the final.  Should be good.
    So.  Yesterday Serena Williams won the women's singles, and today Djokovic won the men's.  Both top seeded players.

What impressed me the most about Djokovic today was the sheer speed at which he moves and at which he reacts.  We know Federer's good, but idk how you can even keep up with someone that fast, he sure couldn't.  Maybe the weather conditions didn't suit him.  However you look at it, though, Djokovic is formidable.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-07-15 00:10:48

I think the all-star game came at a sort of weird time for the Astros. Now that the Angels are on top of the AL West, the main storyline for that division seems like it is going to be their comeback, rather than the fact that the Astros are actually competitive after several years of being the league's laughingstock. It is nice to see two Astros starting though. While it may be more arguable whether Altuve should start, I think Keuchel definitely deserves it. He really seems to have soldified his role as Houston's ace.

@Anonus, I find it kind of weird hearing the Fox sports theme during the MLB all-star pregame since I associate it so heavily with broadcasts of NFL games.
    They introduced it as "the Fox Sports theme" in the worst possible way (playing it during the 2010 NLCS with absolutely no advance notice that no, they were not glitching out and playing the wrong music)
  • Tachyon said:

incidentally because i am a pedantic git

Tachyon said:

"Soccer" is the main term in Canada and South Africa; it's also an accepted alternative to "football" in Ireland and the Philippines, and more controversially in Australia (where they're trying to get people to stop calling it "soccer").

Incidentally, the term originated as Oxford slang.  You had the two sports, Association football and Rugby football, so they nicknamed them "soccer" and "rugger".
    all of my Canadian friends call it football.

:shrug:
    bumping for NFL season
  • how have the eagles been doing

home-area pride and all that