The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Tachyon the boring.

But like, that's my how-to-make-a-summer-blockbuster-in-a-country-populated-entirely-by-tachyons

how to interest me without really challenging me, except in a puzzle box solve-the-mystery sense
  • I feel like "challenging the audience" is kind of a bullshit notion to be totally honest.
    i don't, honestly.

i like it when i'm able to grasp what something that wasn't immediately accessible to me is about and see the artistry that went into it.  i also find it a much more fulfilling experience if a movie has made me think in some way, and not just entertained me.

And leaving stuff unresolved can be great, and so can jarring twists out of nowhere, and mind-screwy continuity-abuse; in the right context, those things can all leave me feeling like i've experienced something unique and interesting.  But if i don't feel like you meant to do it, part of my mind rebels, and i have to fight to keep my suspension of disbelief.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I feel like "challenging the audience" is kind of a bullshit notion to be totally honest.

that Andy kaufman performance where he just read the entirety of The Great Gatsby to an audience
    Age of Ultron made me so angry I punched the poster, my friends who I saw it with, and several ushers.

I'm an adult.
  • Tachyon said:

Tachyon the boring.

But like, that's my how-to-make-a-summer-blockbuster-in-a-country-populated-entirely-by-tachyons

how to interest me without really challenging me, except in a puzzle box solve-the-mystery sense

Tachyon the Boring, Lord of the Grey Plateaus, Scepter of the Square King
     "Profound boredom, drifting here and there in the abysses of our existence like a muffling fog, removes all things and men and oneself along with it into a remarkable indifference. This boredom reveals being as a whole."
    Age of Ultron was OK i think.

It was sufficient to hold my attention, despite my almost complete unfamiliarity with the MCU

Afterwards i didn't feel like i'd experienced something unforgettable but i didn't regret having gone to see it.
    I agree.
  • Tachyon said:

i don't, honestly.

i like it when i'm able to grasp what something that wasn't immediately accessible to me is about and see the artistry that went into it.  i also find it a much more fulfilling experience if a movie has made me think in some way, and not just entertained me.

And leaving stuff unresolved can be great, and so can jarring twists out of nowhere, and mind-screwy continuity-abuse; in the right context, those things can all leave me feeling like i've experienced something unique and interesting.  But if i don't feel like you meant to do it, part of my mind rebels, and i have to fight to keep my suspension of disbelief.

no I mean like the whole idea

like when people say that they like something because it "challenged them", what does that actually mean?

Tachyon said:

i don't, honestly.

like when people say that they like something because it "challenged them", what does that actually mean?
    Haven't you ever read or watched something where you kind of had to work to appreciate what it was going for, or what it was about, but once you did you were glad?
  • edited 2015-06-20 02:01:37

it generally means that they didnt get it at first, but they get it now and in the process of getting it they feel they have enhanced their ability to understand other things.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm in the process of uploading episode three of my Let's Kiss of Miss Utilis to my TubeTube channel
  • Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

i don't, honestly.

Haven't you ever read or watched something where you kind of had to work to appreciate what it was going for, or what it was about, but once you did you were glad?
    I guess?

I don't tend to be cognizant of that sort of thing while I'm experiencing the work, only after the fact.
    You feel like you were taken out of your comfort zone, and at first it felt uncomfortable or confusing, but then maybe something clicked into place and afterwards you felt like you had gained something from the experience.
  • idk apparently I've said something controversial

sorry
    Captain Marvel Adventures #148
  • Captain Marvel is a brilliant superhero.

I actually really liked his visual redesign with the hood for the New 52 series but apparently they made him dark n' edgy which is the last thing you should do with Captain Marvel.

idk apparently I've said something controversial

sorry

No, don't apologize.

You seemed to be asking for an explanation. Were you not?

You know when you're watching something that challenges you, because it's a very definite sense of not getting it, or not liking it, except instead of just distaste, you come to appreciate where it's coming from. i don't think you can be challenged by something and not notice it.
    i like Crimzon Clover: World Ignition because it challenges me

i am bad at it.
    You just said something a bit odd, not bad or wrong
    Yeah, that.
  • idk apparently I've said something controversial

sorry

No, don't apologize.

You seemed to be asking for an explanation. Were you not?

You know when you're watching something that challenges you, because it's a very definite sense of not getting it, or not liking it, except instead of just distaste, you come to appreciate where it's coming from. i don't think you can be challenged by something and not notice it.
    I dunno

I am something of an antihipster in that I do tend to turn my nose up at anything I think is trying to be too heady for its own good

but I also love Serial Experiments Lain. But the thing with that is that even though I didn't understand the plot at first I could still appreciate the aesthetics and everything so I was sort of eased into things in that way. That happens to me fairly often, whereas I don't come around on things I used to hate all that much.
    i still don't understand the plot of SEL

i should probably give it a rewatch some time soon

and, i don't think i really have a threshold for 'too heady for its own good'

i have 'trying to be smarter than it really is' (e.g. Death Note) but i consider that a weakness, not something damning

my default position when approaching something new is non-comprehension, unless it was written specifically for an audience of middle class English people and has escapist aims and makes no references that are unfamiliar to me, i'm probably going to have to do some work in order to 'get' it
    Pax Dickinson fan blog, Slate Star Codex
    Popular Quisling blog Slate Star Codex
    I am in bed, but I have decided not sleeping for a week sounds good
    Yud had problems, but at least he wasn't a fascist stooge.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Antihipsters are objectively superior to hipsters, in the abstract, in any regard that relates to media, far as I can tell.
    Thank you.

These are enough for me.
  • Onions For Odradek is both my new charity and my new synthpunk band.
  • edited 2015-06-20 02:49:10
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I also dislike both Yud and SSC from what I've seen heard.

Offers Odradek a Feather of Fuzziness

But yeah, hipsters are tiresome individuals and the less they feel the need to talk about their pretentious enlightenment or show off their insufferable disposition towards media the happier I am.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-06-20 02:49:27
    My sleep schedule lately has been, to put it lightly, erratic

In the past 24 hours I went to sleep at 4a-ish, woke up at 9a, played The Pre-Sequel for an hour and a half and then slept again until like 3p-ish

summer sleep is weird but good
    Was Odie from Garfield short for Odradek the whole time?

Perhaps our favorite Kartoon Kat is more Kafkaesque than we Kould ever Kome to Know
    Onions For Odradek is both my new charity and my new synthpunk band.
    http://www.odradek-records.com/
  • Odradek said:

Onions For Odradek is both my new charity and my new synthpunk band.
    http://www.odradek-records.com/
    these people all look like high school English teachers

Some say the word Odradek is of Slavonic origin, and try to account for it on that basis. Others again believe it to be of German origin, only influenced by Slavonic. The uncertainty of both interpretations allows one to assume with justice that neither is accurate, especially as neither of them provides an intelligent meaning of the word.

No one, of course, would occupy himself with such studies if there were not a creature called Odradek. At first glance it looks like a flat star-shaped spool for thread, and indeed it does seem to have thread wound upon it; to be sure, they are only old, broken-off bits of thread, knotted and tangled together, of the most varied sorts and colors. But it is not only a spool, for a small wooden crossbar sticks out of the middle of the star, and another small rod is joined to that at a right angle. By means of this latter rod on one side and one of the points of the star on the other, the whole thing can stand upright as if on two legs.

One is tempted to believe that the creature once had some sort of intelligible shape and is now only a broken-down remnant. Yet this does not seem to be the case; at least there is no sign of it; nowhere is there an unfinished or unbroken surface to suggest anything of the kind; the whole thing looks senseless enough, but in its own way perfectly finished. In any case, closer scrutiny is impossible, since Odradek is extraordinarily nimble and can never be laid hold of.

He lurks by turns in the garret, the stairway, the lobbies, the entrance hall. Often for months on end he is not to be seen; then he has presumably moved into other houses; but he always comes faithfully back to our house again. Many a time when you go out of the door and he happens just to be leaning directly beneath you against the banisters you feel inclined to speak to him. Of course, you put no difficult questions to him, you treat him—he is so diminutive that you cannot help it—rather like a child. “Well, what’s your name?” you ask him. “Odradek,” he says. “And where do you live?” “No fixed abode,” he says and laughs; but it is only the kind of laughter that has no lungs behind it. It sounds rather like the rustling of fallen leaves. And that is usually the end of the conversation. Even these answers are not always forthcoming; often he stays mute for a long time, as wooden as his appearance.

I ask myself, to no purpose, what is likely to happen to him? Can he possibly die? Anything that dies has had some kind of aim in life, some kind of activity, which has worn out; but that does not apply to Odradek. Am I to suppose, then, that he will always be rolling down the stairs, with ends of thread trailing after him, right before the feet of my children, and my children’s children? He does no harm to anyone that one can see; but the idea that he is likely to survive me I find almost painful.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Before tonight it had been like two weeks since I worked a 12-hour shift

I'd forgotten how numbingly slow such shifts can drag on

Midnight can't come soon enough
  • Odradek said:

Was Odie from Garfield short for Odradek the whole time?

Perhaps our favorite Kartoon Kat is more Kafkaesque than we Kould ever Kome to Know
    This post put the developers of Mortal Combat to shame. Congrats.
    i feel like people spend way too much time trying to make other people feel bad for liking things

i sometimes feel this way about "hipster" and "pretentious"

it's like looking down on people because they enjoyed something different
    i'm not even sure i've ever met a hipster
    The only hipster is Sam Kriss, who is The Worst
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I have met and seen too many and virtually all of them are insufferable idiots who would be better off quietly making themselves happy in a corner when they decide to talk media.
    or like

if it were just a particular way of acting was a hipster way to act, like only liking things that are unpopular, i could understand the criticism, and i have found jokes about that amusing in the past

but then people talk about "hipster media" and i'm like ?????
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    pad
    Clearly you feel strongly about them and i suppose as i haven't met any i should defer to your experiences.

i just, i don't know.  It baffles me.  The hatred they inspire seems utterly disproportionate to the things they are accused of doing.

Someone who just pretends to like unfashionable things because they think it makes them look cool is just kind of pathetic.
    As it turns out, if Rottweiler had couched his objections to democracy and progressivism in terms of game theoretical ideas and programming metaphors instead of Plato, and adopted "scientific" racism, Nornagest and Desertopa would have treated him as a deep thinker.
    That's so stupid.

The IJBM board on TVT was so stupid.