Actual sports thread, because why not?

edited 2014-03-15 18:01:00 in General Media
Saint Patrick's celebrations are gonna be pretty jubilant this year.

i didn't think England did too badly against Italy; it was a solid victory, shame it wasn't sufficient.
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'm sure this thread will flourish
  • Selection Sunday is tomorrow.  I wonder how much the committee will trust what the Heels have done.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I am a big fan of the Japanese arcade scene and I think that counts as a sport!
  • ...can we not, guys? Maybe sports isn't something many of us are into but try not to be flippant.
  • Kexruct said:

...can we not, guys? Maybe sports isn't something many of us are into but try not to be flippant.

• On a somewhat related note, I've realized
    a. I enjoy playing football
    b. I have an existential crisis every time I screw something up in football
  • edited 2014-03-16 03:31:39
    (flower path)
    Kexruct said:

...can we not, guys? Maybe sports isn't something many of us are into but try not to be flippant.

eh I don't see any intentional threadshitting here

I'll probably end up using it as a venting board when the Heels inevitably get blown out in the NCAA tournament
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I was being serious yknow, but people are all like "miko you are such a sarcastic thread shitting passive aggressive bitch and all the stuff you say is elitist and inconsiderate!!!!!" Do they really mean it, or are they jealous of my "special snowflake" status? :o
  • edited 2014-03-16 08:32:06
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    nobody said any of that, but please don't derail

i don't really care if you want to talk about arcade games here, go for it if you really want to, but there are already a whole bunch of gaming related threads and to my mind that's not really a sport
  • edited 2014-03-16 08:42:11
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    hmm, well, I didn't expect it would be a popular subject in this thread, nor would, say, martial arts, or cup stacking, or competitive dancing.
  • edited 2014-03-16 09:01:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    no but please don't derail.  please.

i'd much rather you posted about competitive arcade games than have this argument
    But I won't. ^_^ I will let you guys discuss team sports even though they don't interest me at all.
  • liverpool are playing manchester united today
  • right now in fact
  • it is 0-0 but i hope liverpool win and that robin van persie falls through a hole in spacetime and breaks his leg, thank you
  • also later it is the north london derby in which i hope the entire spurs side dies of food poisoning
  • liverpool are winning im liking this a lot
  • steven gerrard has now scored two penalties today
  • im loving life and manchester united are a big bunch of fail
  • now i hope luis suarez scores a hat trick and davey moyes has a heart attack

also can we change the thread title to 'sunn wolf posts about football and nobody reads it'

im doing some big laughs right now

now please arsenal smash tottenham. everything will be good
  • sunn wolf said:

now please arsenal smash tottenham. everything will be good
    everything is good. all hail the football gods.
  • I guess I am sort of torn on sports if it makes sense to say that. On one hand I think they can be rather entertaining sometimes and they give me something to talk about with people with whom I otherwise do not have much in common. On the other hand, I feel like it can be a bit weird to care about them when you lack any kind of athletic ability. Plus, some aspects of sports and sports culture seem actively harmful (e.g., brain damage from concussions, hooliganism, super macho locker room behavior as evidenced by that whole mess with Jonathan Martin) and I worry that being a fan indirectly contributes to those negative parts of sport.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I listen to sports radio here, but then I find people complaining about the local sports teams entertaining. (It's certainly better than right-wing claptrap, or WTOP and WNEW repeating the same half-dozen stories ad nauseam). 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    bump

ouch, Marcelo
    bringing this back, and not long before wimbledon too

but yeah if people wanna discuss the cardinals hacking controversy i think here is an ok place for it
  • what did the Cardinals do exactly

keeping in mind I know very very little about baseball (go Phillies??)
    possibly some kind of revenge thing

the Astros' general manager, John Luhnow, used to work for the Cardinals

the suggestion is they were worried he was giving information about them to the Astros, but that doesn't explain the leak
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    we're supposed to think the Cardinals are classy too
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Wushu's a sport, right?
  • the women's world cup is happening

this might be of interest to people as it is a football tournament which the USA has a good chance of winning
    speaking of which, England v Colombia this evening
    and yes, wushu's a sport
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I've been following the world cup, it's actually kinda annoying how little information is easy to come by compared to the men's equivalent. I don't even ask for much!
    Tachyon said:

bringing this back, and not long before wimbledon too

They're playing Plymouth at home on the opening day of the season

(I'm like 70% certain I've stolen this joke from somewhere but I have no idea where)
    ahaha

that took me a moment
    were you watching, Patch?

always nice to see an England victory

could have done without that last minute obviously
    Well, if they made it easy for themselves it wouldn't be an England team!

I was watching! Although I only caught the second half, so the only goal I saw was, um, Colombia's
    Also apparently England are playing Norway next round. If we lose I'm never going to hear the end of it...

I was watching! Although I only caught the second half, so the only goal I saw was, um, Colombia's

England's performance in the first half was much better

generally, i mean, it was more positive, i don't just mean the goals

Also: i am not a cricket-following person but apparently it has been a good day for England!
    Tachyon said:

England's performance in the first half was much better

generally, i mean, it was more positive, i don't just mean the goals
    Ah! Everything was going great until I showed up to spoil it, oops
  • sunn wolf said:

the women's world cup is happening

this might be of interest to people as it is a football tournament which the USA has a good chance of winning

U S A

U S A

U S A
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the main thing i know about women's soccer is that at the college level unc has, like, more championships than every other team combined or something
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-18 00:42:46

sunn wolf said:

I actually think most Americans are more likely to know who Mia Hamm is than any male soccer player who has played Team USA, so women's soccer has had an impact here, for sure. Apparently, the games have been getting better TV ratings than they usually do this world cup. I am not sure if that is mostly because of increased interest or because matches tend to be on during better times this year due to the time zones matching up.

Speaking of the women's world cup, I find it kind of odd how the BBC labels women's teams on their site so differently than men's teams. They seem to consistently call the women's teams "USA Women," "England Women," "Canada Women," "Colombia Women" and such in tables and match reports whereas the men's teams are just "USA," "England," "Canada," and "Colombia." I get that the men's competitions are often considered more prestigious, but it is not like women represent their country worse than men do and I feel like it is usually not all that difficult to figure out whether the teams are men's or women's ones from the context. Fox Sports does not seem to do that unequal labeling over here, I wonder why the BBC chooses to do it.
    LW said:

sunn wolf said:

Speaking of the women's world cup, I find it kind of odd how the BBC labels women's teams on their site so differently than men's teams. They seem to consistently call the women's teams "USA Women," "England Women," "Canada Women," "Colombia Women" and such in tables and match reports whereas the men's teams are just "USA," "England," "Canada," and "Colombia." I get that the men's competitions are often considered more prestigious, but it is not like women represent their country worse than men do and I feel like it is usually not all that difficult to figure out whether the teams are men's or women's ones from the context. Fox Sports does not seem to do that unequal labeling over here, I wonder why the BBC chooses to do it.
    This is very common in the UK media in general, yeah. It probably has something to do with how ubiquitous the mens teams are in common usage in the UK, whereas in the US even mens soccer isn't as big, comparatively, so its possible there's less chance of confusion? Not sure, is it more common to use the term 'mens teams' in the US? I don't think that happens here at all, except when we're specifically talking about both mens and womens teams

I think it's good how far coverage of womens football has come in the past few years, but there's still a lot of room for improvement

Also I just realised I used two different words for the same sport in this post
    LW said:

sunn wolf said:

I actually think most Americans are more likely to know who Mia Hamm is than any male soccer player who has played Team USA, so women's soccer has had an impact here, for sure.
    I'm Mia Hamm!