Indie Comics, Graphic Novels, Etc.

edited 2013-09-05 19:57:02 in General Media
Basically, this is the thread for the all of the sequential art stuff not covered under the purview of web comics or manga and outside of the usual Marvel/DC fare. Anything else goes here.

To start, this is the most eccentric comic promotion that I have yet seen:

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I've been trying to find new copies of my Finder omnibuses ever since my copies were confiscated by the army (because of bewbies), but to no avail.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Reviving this thread because it is my topic of choice for geeking out like no-one's business.

To kick things off again, here's an interview with Brian Chippendale, better known as the drummer for noise/rock units Lightning Bolt and Black Pus, on his exquisitely odd graphic novel If 'n' Oof.
    Necro!

So, not an indie comic by any means, but this is my thread and it fits nowhere else: Neil Gaiman's version of The Sandman is an exceptional comic with a fine visual aesthetic and excellent storytelling and the goth fangirls should not scare you away from it. At all. I would like to thank TNS most copiously for, uhhhh, hooking me up with it. You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

On that subject: I have heard that certain people consider Wanda in "A Game of You" to somehow be an insulting depiction of a trans* person, and frankly... I am a bit baffled. It's an extremely sensitive portrait of an interesting person who has been kind of screwed over by life and other people and yet has managed to find a circle of friends that, while not always completely understanding, nevertheless accept her for who she is. That she is female is affirmed by the narrative at every turn, and while I guess you could read the moon-summoning sequence as being transphobic, but when you're talking about magic directly tied to menstrual cycles... it's a different ballgame. And George is a dick.

So yeah. That prolly makes no sense unless you've read that far, but to hell with it.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Everyone should read The Arrival because it's just really great in terms of storytelling without dialogue and sense of scale.
    I will look into it!
  • Does Hellboy count
  • Necro!

So, not an indie comic by any means, but this is my thread and it fits nowhere else: Neil Gaiman's version of The Sandman is an exceptional comic with a fine visual aesthetic and excellent storytelling and the goth fangirls should not scare you away from it. 

Goth fangirls are a good thing

they got pretty lipstick.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

Necro!

So, not an indie comic by any means, but this is my thread and it fits nowhere else: Neil Gaiman's version of The Sandman is an exceptional comic with a fine visual aesthetic and excellent storytelling and the goth fangirls should not scare you away from it. 

Goth fangirls are a good thing

they got pretty lipstick.
    I need to get pretty lipstick.

Anywho, Sandman is the best.
  • is IDW indie

they make comics based off of major properties but said comics are not super widely read afaik
  • Sandman is Vertigo, which is a DC imprint
  • I want to finish Irredeemable one of these days.

Got the first volume. It seems more hopeful than the average 'superheroes gone wrong' story. Certainly not like The Boys