General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Yes U_U
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    >:3
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :3
  • Pyridrym said:
    Aw yiss, this was my jam a few years back, and a few years back from a few years back.

Not that I was any good at it at all. 
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    so I finally built the lvl 5 shortcut in Spelunky and I am HYPE AS SHIT
  • edited 2015-01-23 22:59:51

it has come to my attention that hyperdimension neptunia will soon have a presence in steam's catalogue.

well, time to visit its forum to see if there are any interesting flame wars.

also wondering how long it'll take before someone troll-gifts this to me.

I could troll-gift it to you, if you want it that badly.

So is it just me, or does Far Cry 4 turn into an absolute cakewalk if you're even remotely good with a bow and arrow?
  • It's nice to be back, yeah.
  • edited 2015-01-24 04:43:52

it has come to my attention that hyperdimension neptunia will soon have a presence in steam's catalogue.

well, time to visit its forum to see if there are any interesting flame wars.

also wondering how long it'll take before someone troll-gifts this to me.

I could troll-gift it to you, if you want it that badly.

So is it just me, or does Far Cry 4 turn into an absolute cakewalk if you're even remotely good with a bow and arrow?
    no, I don't want it that badly.

I was just stating that halfway as a joke, since I've actually been troll-gifted something before.  and i've sometimes talked about Neptunia as being one of the "unholy trio" of JRPGs -- Agarest, Neptunia, and Monpiece.  (There are other crappy JRPGs but it's just that I've started and gotten kinda used to naming them as a group.)

Also, welcome back.
  • edited 2015-01-24 02:18:50
    I mean, you're free to gift it to me, but I'm not hugely desirous of having it.

Monpieces.

The "extreme rub" system requires players to stroke both sides of the
    PlayStation Vita in order to seal the card and remove the clothing from
    the character in the card.
    --Wikipedia
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    wat
  • actually, it's not the unholy trio of JRPGs

it's the unholy trio of Idea Factory/Compile Heart games
  • i think i am gradually discovering that i have relatively little interest in building characters (i.e. choosing and leveling up skills and such)
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Cream said:

Monpieces.

The "extreme rub" system requires players to stroke both sides of the
    PlayStation Vita in order to seal the card and remove the clothing from
    the character in the card.
    --Wikipedia
    This... is... a PS Vita game... Damn... Nintendoomed...
  • ^ What he said.
  • Finally finished replaying Mass Effect 3.

Even now, the ending pisses me off. Even besides the other issues with the ending, why did they have to choose that character to be the final exposition box? 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Which one? Because you could get a different character to be the final exposition box.

Also I like that character a lot that I think you're referring to.
  • edited 2015-01-25 15:57:37
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Cream made me realized that one of the thing that I like the most in roguelikes and video game(sometimes) is interactivity.
  • Interactivity of some kind is generally a good thing to have in a video game, yes. Certain experimental subgenres aside.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I want to make a roguelike where you can do more then just equip that magical sword, or poke things with a stick.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    (Like, melt that sword of dragon slaying so you can make a ring out of it or idk)
  • idk roguelikes manage to do a lot with that formula.

Even just the one that I play regularly (DCSS).

And hybrid roguelikes involve all sorts of things.
  • Think of how much of a bitch learning the UI would be, though.

AKA the Daggerfall Problem
  • Pyridrym said:

(Like, melt that sword of dragon slaying so you can make a ring out of it or idk)

oh, that would be cool.

Making it not a horrible chore to play would be the hard part is the thing.
  • in other news, they haven't announced Diablo 2's necromancer as a hero in Heroes of The Storm

I'm probably never going to play it, but, it seems like an obvious choice.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Pyridrym said:

oh, that would be cool.

Making it not a horrible chore to play would be the hard part is the thing.
    Yeah, I want to make it so that the control are intuitive and not overwhelming.

• edited 2015-01-25 20:45:27
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I wonder if it would be a good idea to use haskell for making that roguelike....

but, still, idk
  • I'm pretty sure if it was ever a good idea, it stops being one the moment you mention Haskell.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Implying C++ is a good idea
    Implying C++ is a good programming language
  • Which one? Because you could get a different character to be the final exposition box.

Also I like that character a lot that I think you're referring to.
    I never did get an answer to this, @MachSpeed

Now that I think about it, you probably meant the person who does the narration after you make the unfortunate choice. Which in my case was Hackett, who's no slouch, but you might have meant someone else. Liara, maybe?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay yeah the Catalyst is dumb.

If you choose Destroy you get Hackett. If you choose Control you get Reaper!Shepperd. And if you choose Synthesis you get EDI.

I choose Synthesis every time, so I always get EDI. I'm pretty sure I choose Synthesis every time so EDI wouldn't have to die. She's like my daughter or something? I watched her grow up.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-26 06:31:43
    I tried Yunica's Nightmare Boss Rush again today.  Breezed through most of it, then spent two hours beating my head against Kishgal and four against Dalles's last phase before giving up.

I can't overstate just how consummately awful Yunica is.  She's a slower, shittier Adol, and the only particularly good thing she has is Bolt Crash -- which is basically a shittier Earth Guard from Felghana.  She has pretty much no evasive capacity, no killing power to handle that last phase on Dalles, her Boost seems like they just forgot to program in an attack buff at all, and her Burst leaves her sitting there like an idiot while enemies just sit out of range then inevitably leaves her standing on something that will kill her.

And I know it's just her, because Dalles is cake for Hugo and Toal.  Hell, Toal has to do it with no rez amulet and it's still easy.  I tried it with Adol and nearly aced it the first time.
  • Oh, I get it, Kraken

Ah, I did Control the first time and Destroy the second. In hindsight, I did the former specifically because I didn't want to be forced into accepting the Bioware-mandated happy ending. 

EDI is...not my favorite character in ME3. I think it's Uncanny Valley-ness, given that I liked her in ME2 and all I can think of when she's using the Eva platform is how ridiculous it looks and how ridiculous its procurement is (so Cerberus happens to pour money into making a new AI, and it happens to be placed in a female body with even more ridiculous proportions than the standard ME3 woman, and it happens to be the only Cerberus agent in ME3 who doesn't explode beyond salvage to keep Cerberus secrets out of Alliance hands ME3)

The mightiest of needs, to be quite honest.
    Cerberus resources are pretty ridiculous, I agree.

I like Synthesis because of that time when you go to that Asari planet and you learn that the people who were infected with the Thorian were okay. In some ways they were doing really poorly, but their shared empathy sometimes made them even better than okay.

And that's what I think Synthesis is like. When everryone is different, we need not repeat the sins of the past. The cycle breaks, once and for all.
  • Tre said:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The mightiest of needs, to be quite honest.
    A Vita version of Tiny & Big? Sign me right the hell up this very instant!

Any hope for a PS3 or PS4 version to go with it as well?
  • They say they're putting their time into other stuff right now (primarily On Rusty Trails), but they're not ruling out anything for down the road. 

Myself, the ideal thing would be a sequel to T&B for either Vita or Steam, but at this point I'll take whatever they put out and like it, dammit. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'm hyped as hell for ORT.)
  • Man, why did they make recruitment so difficult in this version of LCS?

How am I supposed to build my army of liberal terrorists without easy brainwashing and easy seduction? And why in blazes does gender not matter when seducing someone but poly-ism does?
  • for a tactical RPG:

amphisbaena medal: invoke (mp cost) to take two turns in a row
    sakit medal: immune to knockback and recoil effects. melee attacks can be used as ranged.
    ellmac medal: improved speed (more frequent turns)? increased movement count or free movement around battlefield?
    bahamut medal: ?
    viy medal: ?
    palenque medal: ?
    baphomet medal: equip to learn and use monster skills?
    tiamat medal: ?
  • damnit i forgot them already
    have to look them up again
  • edited 2015-01-28 20:44:07
    mercury charm: doubles the power of water attacks; reveals stats of enemies attacked
    venus charm: doubles the power of earth attacks; 10% chance of avoiding counterattack
    mars charm: doubles the power of fire attacks; increases immunity to holy attacks
    jupiter charm: doubles the power of sky attacks; increases physical attack power
    saturn charm: invoke to provide auto-revive status
    uranus charm: doubles the power of physical attacks; invoke to reverse damage of any attack
    meptune charm: doubles the power of magical attacks; invoke to heal entire team (mass healing without regard to position is otherwise unavailable)
    pluto charm: invoke to create a savestate
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So I've been playing the original rogue

fun game, hard as hell, feels a little dated but is still held up by solid game design

Current problem: Aquators are monsters that degrade armor on hit (except for leather)

Lost a run because I had a solid set of plate armor that got rusted into uselessness. Tried equipping a chain mail, it was cursed, then that also got degraded into nothingness

By the time I picked up a leather it was too late
  • interesting article about race issues in gaming.

Got me thinking about several things but honestly (and this is usually a bad sign), the comments got me thinking about more. I didn't realize until it was pointed out, but not only was that article written by a white woman, there is not a single nonwhite person on Joystiq's writing staff.

while I resent the idea that a white person has to be "self-hating" to criticize the current power structure in the US, it's a fair point. I can't imagine there simply aren't any black games journalists for Joystiq to hire.

I should clarify, most of the comments are shitty, I think I saw like two that pointed out what I was talking about.
  • Given the chance, I'd have been able to help with that in Joystiq's case since my intent is to become a web reporter specializing in video games and technology, but the site's closing so I can't. Either way I still credit it for being part of the reason why I wanted to become a journalist, though I've moved on to Polygon and would probably have chosen there if I could.

I'm kind of aware that there's a possibility that I won't get the same respect as my peers would in such an environment, but I feel like a paradigm shift's in order for tech journalism as a whole.

Anyway, vidyagamz. Rest in peace, Burnout, you will be missed.
  • The most notable moment for me concerning videogames and race was when I played Walking Dead for the first time. The fact that I was playing a black character was unimaginably, overwhelmingly comfortable. 

I then looked through the rest of my Steam library and found that I had literally never played a black character before. I mean, I've made black characters for Fallout and Saint's Row (though not Skyrim; never did get around to making a human character), but they're avatars for the player rather than characters in themselves. Demoman technically counts, as does the Time Traveler from the Cave, but they're one out of a cast of characters and fairly removed from reality (Demoman's Scottish, which he himself notes isn't common, and the Time Traveler is, well, a time traveler). Don't even mention Balrog or Dee Jay. 

The other moment would be when I played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for the Wii. Not a great game, but tolerable and a decent Blockbuster rental. And then we got to the part in Wakanda. Now, part of the plot of the game is that there's this technovirus that's making everyone go crazy and attack people. And it just so happened that the strain of the virus that hit Wakanda turned people into growling animal-men who walk on all fours (which was, in fact, a reskin of an enemy in the original MUA. one used for demons). And then we went to a prison and we had to fight through a bunch of regular inmates to get to the superjail for superpeople, and each and every one of them was black. I remember almost nothing else from that game. That's how strongly it stuck out in my mind. 

The lesson is that it feels good to be represented positively in the stuff that you spend your free time on. And it feels like crap when you're represented negatively. 

Can't say much about the racial tension in multiplayer games. I usually stay in TF2, and it doesn't seem any more racist than the average internet forum.  I will say that the point about nerddom cancelling out your race is definitely a thing. 
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was so awful.