The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    It makes it so much easier to find threads. That's the reason why threads that get to page four tend to die, nobody goes digging through past pages.

Without sections, you can only have one first page, and the only active threads are the ones on the first page. Your number of active threads is limited by the number if threads per page.

Making the sections available to the public makes it way easier to find, say, live logs or media discussoni. And it is still just as easy to find general threads.

In short, we can have a greater number of active threads while still keeping the most-used threads easy to find.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    The lack of sections is actually my favorite thing about the Vanilla forum software.

Sections are the things that make every large website balkanize, and for a small website like this one, it means that if a thread lies in a certain section, it'll end up unused despite being at the top because most people don't pay attention to that section.

Furthermore, sections make it harder to see the full activity of what's going on in this small forum, which is nice.

Besides, if you still want to see categories, they should be to your right.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i agree with Lilly.  i like how the community here feels less divided than on other forums i've been on.  i think the forum would slow down considerably if the category page were the front page, and we'd see a lot of threads being ignored altogether since the community here just isn't that big.
    i should be asleep but i feel tense.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Good point.

You're right, Tach and Lilly.

Sorry.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    My intended aim of that wouldn't be to divide the community, but to get people to use the proper categories.

Why do you feel tense?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

i should be asleep but i feel tense.

I'm having trouble myself because I have a class in the morning but I slept till noon today and thus am not tired
    Aliroz said:

Good point.

Sorry.
    You don't need to apologize.  You have your opinion and i can definitely see where you're coming from.  i just think Lilly raised a good point.
    Anonus said:

My intended aim of that wouldn't be to divide the community, but to get people to use the proper categories.

Why do you feel tense?
    i'm not really sure.

i think to begin with it was that i hadn't done any writing today (yesterday), but now i think it's also just that i'm awake and it'll be hard to wake up once i do get to sleep, if i do.  But i need to be up tomorrow morning to feed my Grandpa, so probably what will happen is i'll get up for that, be too sleepy to write anything in the morning, fall asleep during the afternoon and get no work done tomorrow either.

Also i keep thinking about other bothersome things that have nothing to do with my writing or anything.
  • edited 2014-12-01 04:48:58
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz said:

Good point.

Sorry.
    While I agree with them, I also think that the fact that we have categories while still linking to a continuum of all conversations is actually really a nice combined approach. So don't feel sorry.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    DISTRIBUTED BY DOLLAR DEPOT STORES INC.
    1900 PENNYWISE PARKWAY
    BUTTERCUP BAY, CENTRALIA
    I have mixed feelings on Sony's marginalization of the Columbia Pictures brand

I feel like I shouldn't be upset, considering the root of the word "Columbia"
    Otherkin Warehouse

A division of Dollar Depot Stores
    What do Penn Jillette and Teller think of the Centralian monarchy?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's not libertarianism, so they hate it.
    Should "personal threads" get a dedicated category, since they're practically an official Heap thing now?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Maybe. Of course this would still be a members-only category, but segregated slightly.
    I guess so!
  • edited 2014-12-01 05:56:24

• ok why cant i post that

there are no links, there are no images, there are no videos
    what'r.e you even trying to post
  • ???????????????
  • i was trying to post the sentence "i listened to NO BLACK METAL ON BLACK FRIDAY" followed by the O A O emote

and some combination of characters or something in there is making the sentence vanish from my post
  • apparently the sentence as a whole gets the post wiped even when it's in quotes and there's other stuff :/
  • ...but i just posted it in the sandbox thread just fine! 8/
    You know

Were it up to me, thing like the settings icon, the inbox icon, etc. would just be part of a TrueType font hosted on the server

That way they could scale to any size

But I guess static raster images works too
    This isn't a request for Lee, this is just me pondering.
    I'm letting my delusions of Hollywood glory get the best of me again

Imagining being hoisted high in parades the day after the Oscars and being told "Congratulations, Anonus Utilis! Hail Warner Bros. (or Lions Gate)!" Executives from rival studios sending me letters of congratulation when Batman 48 strikes box office gold. And sells lots of toys.

I know Myr's gonna tell me the Oscars are meaningless but the Hollywood circlejerk man
  • there are no parades for the Oscars....
  • edited 2014-12-01 08:37:18
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

"It's almost like every student has his own staff person, you know, like a personal butler." That was what Richard Vedder, an economist and director of the Center for College Affordability and Productivity [...], said about the number of individuals Ohio State employs.

Oh boy, THAT sure doesn't sound like a thinly-veiled "I </3 taxes" organization at all!

there are no parades for the Oscars....

>implying Anonus "Fabulous Cash" Utilis can't make there be parades for the Oscars
    Louis B. Mayer basically invented the Oscars. And as the owner of his legacy, I can make there be Oscar parades.

"It's almost like every student has his own staff person, you know, like a personal butler." That was what Richard Vedder, an economist and director of the Center for College Affordability and Productivity [...], said about the number of individuals Ohio State employs.

Oh boy, THAT sure doesn't sound like a thinly-veiled "I </3 taxes" organization at all!
    there are a lot of useless employees on any college campus

99% of those are high-level administrators, who we have to pay shitloads of cash or they'll leave for another university, oh noez
  • Anonus said:

Louis B. Mayer basically invented the Oscars. And as the owner of his legacy, I can make there be Oscar parades.

man you like

need permits for that shit
  • Princess AlicePrincess Alice
    gives Anonus a parade permit for Queen City. It's good to be Queen. :P
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    /me gives Anonus a parade permit for Queen City.

It's good to be Queen. :P
    Anonus said:

man you like

need permits for that shit
    well then I'll get one

and I'll broadcast the parade on every ABC Warner network

including Twitch

i wanted one for Los Angeles though
    or Burbank

WB's based there and SO IS DISNEY
    Anonus said:

i wanted one for Los Angeles though
    Alas, that's outside my jurisdiction. u_u
  • Next one coming up!

of course the oscars are circlejerks

they are oscar weiners after all

• edited 2014-12-01 09:57:11
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Wallman said:

of course the oscars are circlejerks

they are oscar weiners after all

they're pretty baloney too imho
  • edited 2014-12-01 12:44:36
    see, i don't watch anime to have something to laugh at or something to pass the time

i watch it because it's an easily accessible medium where i think i can find stories that i can hold near and dear to my heart

i WANT to take the stories seriously

so yeah, laugh all you want at the yuri subtext jokes and the slapstick hammerspace comedy

at the end of the day, i'll be waiting to sit through the touching moments, and those will be what defines the experience of the story
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You should probably watch better things.

Don't ask me what things, I don't fucking know, I watch shows with giant robots and martial artists in them.
  • when i see people being obnoxious jerks, i don't expect to laugh at them and enjoy the fact that i'm not the one suffering the misery they create

i expect to be angry at them, sympathize with their victims, and figure out how to get even
  • edited 2014-12-01 12:49:08
    incidentally i also prefer anisong over a-pop in part because it speaks a musical language i understand

it speaks roughly the same musical language that religious hymns and modern church songs and centuries of common-practice western classical music speak

(i specifically said anisong rather than j-pop because i feel i am not as knowledgeable of j-pop as a whole)
  • edited 2014-12-01 12:51:42

(i specifically said anisong rather than j-pop because i feel i am not as knowledgeable of j-pop as a whole)

here

here is an example of "i have to watch what i say closely, lest other people feel that i am being inconsiderate or painting things with overly broad strokes or speaking out of my rear end about things that i don't know etc."

i do this in the course of normal conversation, but the reason i enjoy shitposting is that i feel less pressure to do this self-conscious checking
  • when i say something, i have a responsibility to worry about how other people react to it.  if i offend them, is that something they deserve?  usually, the answer is no, so i should change the way i phrase it.

incidentally i also prefer anisong over a-pop in part because it speaks a musical language i understand

it speaks roughly the same musical language that religious hymns and modern church songs and centuries of common-practice western classical music speak

Interesting.  Care to elaborate?
  • Tachyon said:

Interesting.  Care to elaborate?
    generally speaking, use of dominants to precede tonics, in the harmony.  V-to-I harmonic motion and cadences, or half-cadences ending on V, etc. -- rather than IV-to-I or VI-to-I harmonic motion and cadences and half-cadences ending on IV, etc..  There are some variants, such as bVII to i (subtonic to minor tonic) in minor keys (which does give a very slight bit of a more modal, folk-like sound).  But overall that trend holds.

contrast that to the "four chords of pop" -- I V vi IV, repeating.  The IV goes to I.  Song ends on IV, or ends on IV going to I.  to me, this feels relatively "stagnant".  on the other hand, contrast some western pop and rock songs that DO have V to I motion and half-cadences on V and stuff like that -- e.g. Weezer's "Island in the Sun".  i feel that they have more motion, more dynamism.

also -- and probably due to linguistic differences -- anisong tends to have more, well, melodic melodies.  as in, more varied notes, more tuneful, something like that.

sure, these things can get cheesy and overdone.  In fact, the best songs don't overdo them, by meaningfully placing, alternating, and relating "stagnating"/"stable" and "dynamic"/"momentum" elements.  but the fact is, the best songs DO have elements of dynamism and motion, and they DO have progressions that i find meaningful.

(by "the best", i pretty clearly mean "my favorite", so don't chew me out on this, k?)

----

well, basically, another way of saying this is that the music inherently means something to me.  it gives me signals of musical direction and musical meaning, through its harmonic and melodic phrasing.  as opposed to having to listen to its lyrics.  i rarely care much about lyrics in a song.  they're kinda like nonsense syllables to sing to -- doubly so if it's a foreign language I don't understand.